corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » maximum speed of 54g wireless router?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author maximum speed of 54g wireless router?
ssj_kakarot

User status: Offline
14th May 07 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is the actual top transfer speed i should be seeing through my new router?

I used to have a 11b wireless router which gave me a 3 meg connection at its max.

Just upgraded to a 108meg wireless router (laptop still has a 54g wireless card) but ive just done a speed test and im still only getting a max of 3 meg.

The internet connection coming into the house is 10meg which is fine as i get this speed using a pc with ethernet connection how come the router is so slow?

Or is that the actual top speed a 54g wireless card can transfer at?

[Edited on 14-05-2007 by ssj_kakarot]
Ian
Site Administrator

14th May 07 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

54g network is 54Mbps.

Internet connection is 10Mbps, therefore you'll never go quicker than that.

Also the network will only go as fast as the slowest part ie. your laptop. Router upgrade is pointless unless you change the laptop card.
ssj_kakarot

14th May 07 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah but im not getting as fast as 10Mbps thats my point. And it wasnt pointless as my previous router was 11b (11Mbps) but my wireless cards were 54Mpbs. So i upgraded as the 108Mbps router should work at 54Mbps with my cards.

My router and wireless card in the laptop is 54g 54Mbps, internet connection is 10Mbps........

But im only getting speeds of 3Mbps when i do a speed test on the laptop but im getting 10Mbps (line max) when testing through the router connected to my pc through ethernet.

surely as my router/wireless card is 54Mbps i should be able to get the full 10Mbps my pc is getting using the wireless.

or am i missing something?

[Edited on 14-05-2007 by ssj_kakarot]
Ste
Premium Member

14th May 07 at 22:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
ssj_kakarot

14th May 07 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
yes

that was helpfull....

Yes what?
Ste
Premium Member

14th May 07 at 22:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the router will connect to the net at the same speed no matter what you access it with, are you sure its not a bad reception on the lappy and you are only getting 3meg between lappy and router?

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
ssj_kakarot

14th May 07 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

recpetion is full and its the same through my media centre and laptop both only get a speed test of 3 meg ish, pc connected directly to router gets 10 meg.

No idea what it could be ive checked through the routers settings ect im boggled.
Ian
Site Administrator

14th May 07 at 22:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes but your 11Mpbs router was still faster than your internet connection.

How are you measuring the speed at the laptop?

How do download speeds for each machine compare?

[Edited on 14-05-2007 by Ian]
ssj_kakarot

14th May 07 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

using speedtest.net

media centre

laptop

cant be bothered to go downstairs and do the pc test again but when i ran it earlier it came out at ... 9899k kb/s odd
topshot_2k
Banned

15th May 07 at 07:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

security on wireless networks also sacrifice some speed, as does error correction etc etc
ssj_kakarot

15th May 07 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by topshot_2k
security on wireless networks also sacrifice some speed, as does error correction etc etc

yeh but 7 meg worth lol

New Poll