corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Girlfriend might be renting for the first time. . .

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Girlfriend might be renting for the first time. . .
deano87

User status: Offline
10th May 07 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

. . .and I just want your opinions really.

For one reason and another, my girlfriend who still lives with her parents, might have to rent somewhere whilst their parents find a bigger property.

Anyway, she will be earning approximately £1,500 a month pre tax, NI etc. She thinks she'll be able to manage to rent, but places around our way are quite expensive really.

I know this is a personal question for some people, but how much were you earning monthly when you first started renting, how much rent did you pay, and what sort of luxuries did you have to go without, just to live?

I understand if people don't want to disclose their financial information etc, just want to get opinions!
Cosmo

10th May 07 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive not been in the position of having to rent, but do live on my own and all I can say is...

Whatever she ends up paying for rent, you can probably double it again for what she will need to spend to live off aswell (food, bills, furniture/utilities/etc.) I think most people who have never lived on their own really underestimate their other costs and end up struggling because of it.
deano87

10th May 07 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly my thoughts and what I told her.

I said to try and get somewhere with bills all inclusive, so she can really budget every month.

Anyone else have opinions?
Cosmo

10th May 07 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

food is the killer, atleast it is for me. Ends up being the same as all my other bills added together. I dont even buy that much from what I can tell when its back here

Renting is dead money aswell, if there was any chance she'd be best trying to either share the rent and save the rest towards a deposit on a house or staying somewhere free and saving!
Ian
Site Administrator

10th May 07 at 17:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its certainly possible to do it on that salary but she'll need to be very careful. There's no great amount of maths to it - just be prudent and she'll be fine.

Does she have any debts at the moment?
deano87

10th May 07 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, no debts luckily. No credit cards, no overdraft etc.

The only trouble is, this job is a 9 month contract (covering maternity leave) with the possibility of being kept on etc, but she did get the job through an agency, so they should keep her updated!
deano87

11th May 07 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone else?
Ally

11th May 07 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I started renting at 16 with a friend, £500 pcm house where we paid £250 each plus bills which worked out at £350. I was taking home £800 a month and managed fine, but then i was sharing.

It depends on her rent tbh, if its £250/300 a month then yes she will manage. If its £500 a month and she is paying it herself then there is no way she will manage.

She will probably have rent, water, gas, leccy, council tax, sky, internet, mobile/home phone, food, fuel, car insurance, car repairs/tax. Then going out money, clothes, make up, shoes etc etc

Its very hard the first time you move - and me personally, wouldnt ever do it on my own!
Cosmo

11th May 07 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ally
I started renting at 16 with a friend, £500 pcm house where we paid £250 each plus bills which worked out at £350.

£100 a month on half the bills and food Did you not eat?!
Ally

11th May 07 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats not including food cosmo, council tax, internet, phone and water/gas/leccy that covered

I lived on £15 a week food shopping, mainly on beans on toast with a bit of cheese. Sometimes spagetti, and sometimes my poor mother would take pity on me and take me to sainsburies where i considered good food a luxury

Although i was spending £50 a week on cigarettes!!!!!
Ally

11th May 07 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now i spend £40 a week on 2 of us which feeds us well, with food and litter for 3 cats included in that. I dont smoke anymore which saves an awful lot of money as well!
Tom

11th May 07 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's harder than you'd imagine. She would be better off sharing with someone (you) maybe?

The outgoings for my flat are around £750 before food and that's rent, utilities council tax and tv licence.
deano87

11th May 07 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Naaa I won't be able to afford to live with her, as I'm at Uni. The only way we would manage is if I bought food every month, but then I'd be working 14 hours per week in a shitty Spar shop to buy food.

Thanks for all your advice guys, I'll let her know.
Mark Petty

12th May 07 at 07:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

imo I would never rent. Her money would be paying someone elses mortgage.
But I know its difficult sometimes getting a mortgage etc so if she really needs to do it and has no where else to go then she will have to rent.
Can't she live with you?
deano87

12th May 07 at 07:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, I still live with my parents and drive to Uni the days I have to be in. I'd struggle to fit a double bed in my room too, without losing lots of floor space!
Mark Petty

12th May 07 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
No, I still live with my parents and drive to Uni the days I have to be in. I'd struggle to fit a double bed in my room too, without losing lots of floor space!

Surely though loosing abit of floor space is better than your gf struggling to live
I'm sure your parents wouldn't mind getting extra cash for doing nothing.

Another option is a small studio flat
Brett
Premium Member

12th May 07 at 10:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
food is the killer, atleast it is for me.

I bet

...and deano, my advice, at your age don't live with your bird. Live a little!
deano87

12th May 07 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
...and deano, my advice, at your age don't live with your bird. Live a little!

There's that as well
ed

12th May 07 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about getting a place on an interest only mortgage?
deano87

13th May 07 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think she's ready to take such a big step at the moment. This job is only for 9 months anyway as she is covering someone on maternity leave, so she'll want to wait till she has something permanent.

Also, she chop and changes career ideas a lot, so making a big commitment wouldn't be wise imo.
cunningham

13th May 07 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

surely her mum and dad have to understand that shes in temp employment and wouldnt be correct to just chuck her oot?

rented once for 6 months and would never do it again why line someone elses pockets
deano87

14th May 07 at 07:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They won't be chucking her out. They just have to downsize for a bit, and can only find somewhere a few miles from where they live and my girlfriend works.

New Poll