corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 2Litre Ecotec conversion..

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2Litre Ecotec conversion..
pdwhelan

User status: Offline
23rd Apr 07 at 07:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thinking of getting an ecotec engine instead of a redtop for my corsa gsi but what i need to know is..

Are the ecotec more reliable than redtop engines?
i know they arent as powerfull but i'm not realy fussed about that TBH but i know most Ecotec engines out of a later vauxhall wont have been leathered and messed around like most redtops wich is one of the reasons im considering it. They are probably lower mileage aswell wich is a bonus.

If i can afford a redtop then i will get one but if the ecotec is cheaper than i will settle for that.

I saw two 2.0litre 16v ecotec engines in a scrapyard on saterday, one in a vectra but it was a taxi and one was an omega but automatic wich isnt a problem because i can always get a manual gear box, cant i?

I might phone around a few scrapyards today and see how much they want for the engines. I can always get one as a project to rebuild wich should be good fun and Educational.

There is no major rush to get my GSi on the road so its a good chance to do everything properly and do things for my self.

Does anyone on here have an ecotec conversion in a corsa?

Thanks for reading. Look forward to your replys

Fro

23rd Apr 07 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are going to rebuild an engine you might aswell get a decent red top IMO and rebuild that as i am pretty sure the ecotec's only have 130 bhp.

Also there are less sensors etc to go wrong on a redtop.
johnhara1

23rd Apr 07 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your going to spend money rebuilding an engine then redtop all the way.

This was on ebay last week, maybe try and get in touch with him and ask questions.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3AUK%3A1&viewitem=&item=270110113673&rd=1

You could get a low milage 2.0 eco for the same price as a 100k+ redtop (£200) and IMO most redtops are knackered now anyway so the eco would be the better option.

[Edited on 23-04-2007 by johnhara1]
willhouse

23rd Apr 07 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your going to re build the engine with a full new set of seals for the head and a rebore and new piston rings etc. then get a red top as it will be alot better than an ecotec.

however if you are not planning on a rebuild then and ecotec with low milage should be better. iv got an ecotec in my astra and my mate has had numerous redtops, but truthfully there is no massive difference between them, they are both superb in different ways, choice is yours, but i would rather have a ecotec with 30k on it than a 100k+ redtop.

make sure you get a proper reciept for your engine too from the breakers if you can so that you can put it in your service history
pdwhelan

23rd Apr 07 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the info veryone its much appreciated

New Poll