corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Playstation 3 Appreciation Thread * Excluding Steve & Topshot_2k*

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Playstation 3 Appreciation Thread * Excluding Steve & Topshot_2k*
topshot_2k
Banned

User status: Offline
21st Mar 07 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by topshot_2k
you can buy an adpater to use Sonys controlelrs on the xbox

Steve
Premium Member

21st Mar 07 at 10:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes i have said adaptor
Nismo

21st Mar 07 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but i very much doubt the motion sensitive controller will work....

Steve
Premium Member

21st Mar 07 at 10:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you want to come round and do motion sensitive things in my bedroom nathan?
Nismo

21st Mar 07 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you free saturday?
Steve
Premium Member

21st Mar 07 at 11:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

possibly..
topshot_2k
Banned

21st Mar 07 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Marc

21st Mar 07 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
If i was playing a game with that little man on my PS3 i would wave my controller in there air and he would wave,

Sounds like you need a Wii

Yes I know how it sounds
Steve
Premium Member

21st Mar 07 at 11:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lets throw something into the mix here

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-348-1.htm
Steve
Premium Member

21st Mar 07 at 11:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as consoles have existed, discussions, debates, arguments, fights, and all out WARS have taken place over who makes the best video game units. Growing up, I was always a Nintendo fan boy; I didn't want to hear anything about Sega Genesis... In my mind, Nintendo had Mario, Zelda, and other great first-party titles. Sega had Sonic, and red blood.

Things are slightly more complicated these days however. Console makers are taking different approaches to designing their products; some go for hardcore processing power, others focus more on online gaming. We already have a heated debate going on in our forum about which console is better, PS3 or XBOX 360.

I thought it would be a good idea to ask my friend, who is a lead programmer for a large gaming company that produces games for both PS3 and XBOX 360. He has also worked on PS2, XBOX 1, and PC games in the past 6-or-so years. Obviously, considering his position working with both consoles and both Sony and Microsoft, he doesn't want to step on any toes, so wishes to remain anonymous at this time. Here are his thoughts on the subject:

PS3 vs. XBOX 360
Being a video game developer (I develop for both, Playstation 3 and XBOX 360) people ask me almost daily which platform I think is better. These are my personal feelings, in no way does this reflect my employer.

Short answer: XBOX 360.

Long answer: Price, performance, visual quality, game selection and online support. I think the XBOX 360 wins in every category.

Price: This is obvious; the XBOX 360 core is only $299. The PS3 is around $499 for the 20GB version. It comes with a hard drive, but you don’t need a hard drive to enjoy a lot of great games on the 360 so I think it’s fair to compare both core systems.

Performance: On paper, the PS3 is more powerful. In reality, it’s quite inferior to the 360. Without getting into too many details, the three general-purpose CPU’s the xbox360 has are currently FAR easier to take advantage of than the SPU’s on the PS3. I suspect a few years down the road some high budget, first party PS3 exclusive titles will come out that really take advantage of the SPU’s and do things the XBOX 360 can’t, but I don’t think the console is worth buying based on this speculation (for some it will be though, we'll have to wait and see how these games turn out).

Graphics: The XBOX 360 is a clear winner. The GPU is more powerful. It has more powerful fillrate, and far more pixel and vertex processing horsepower. Part of the reason is their choice of memory, and architecture of pixel and vertex procesing. I can’t get into details but the same vertex shader will run much slower on the PS3 than the XBOX 360. The 360 also has a clever new way rendering high definition anti aliased back buffers. To accomplish the same effect on PS3 is prohibitively expensive. For this reason I think many games will have no choice but to run in non-HD resolutions on the PS3 version, use a lower quality anti aliasing technique, or do back buffer upscaling. The end result in all cases is going to be noticeably worse image quality.

Game Selection: The XBOX 360 has a huge head start here. 1 year is an eternity in gaming. Almost all multi-platform developers have made the XBOX 360 their primary platform due to timing of release-to-market, this means the games will look and perform better on the 360. The PS3 versions will be ports of the 360 versions. (The opposite was true for XBOX 1 vs. PS2). The XBOX 360 is also far faster to develop for due to better development tools (massively popular Visual Studio .NET vs. proprietary, buggy PS3 compiler and debugger), better documentation, and easier architecture (3 general purpose CPU’s vs. 8 specialized processors that require DMA). Timing has also caused all next-gen middleware developers to make XBOX 360 their primary platform, and they will ‘add ps3 support’ as needed. This support will probably be inferior to the XBOX 360’s due to manpower and more importantly, demand. It’s this catch-22 now that will continue to drive the 360 forward and hold PS3 back.

The other obvious point here is that right now the Xbox360 already has a very impressive line-up of titles on store shelves; the ps3 just launched, and has virtually nothing of interest. Also, many 360 games are already discounted ($25 for Fight Night 3 at CircuitCity). PS3 games are all full price since it just launched.

Live: Microsoft’s online support with XBOX1 was phenomenal. They built in-house experience, user base, facilities, $$ commitment from executive level (since it proved successful), and most importantly, feedback from 100,000s of XBOX Live subscribers. Playstation 2’s online support sucked. They are now playing catch-up, trying to emulate Xbox’s model. But they had their hands tied just trying to make the PS3 work, it was incredibly ambitious (blu-ray etc.). I haven’t seen it yet, but I seriously doubt the quality will be anywhere to the level of XBOX 360.

HD Content: The PS3 comes with one built in (blu-ray). The XBOX 360 offers HD-DVD as an add-on for $200. You probably don’t care about HD-DVD right now. But you will soon (The quality between DVD and HD is comparable to VHS vs DVD, if you have the right TV) so I suggest paying attention to the war that’s begun. There are two formats: HD-DVD and BLU-RAY. Basically if you rent a BLU-RAY DVD from Bockbuster, it won’t play in your XBOX 360 HD-DVD, and vice versa with the PS3. The implications of this format war would require another article on its own. But as far as the consoles are concerned, the XBOX 360 wins because the DVD player is a separate unit. Playing movies is very taxing on the DVD reader, and let’s face it. In 3 years when your PS3 DVD drive goes out due to playing lots of movies (PS2 was notoriously bad about this) you will have to go buy another PS3. With the 360, you’ll just chuck your HD-DVD player, and go buy another one at the store. In 3 years standalone units wlil probably only cost about $99-150. Another point for the XBOX 360, is that I don’t know who will win the format-war, so I would rather wait with purchase of a HD player. The PS3 doesn’t give you this option.

PS3 controversy: Shootings, Wallmart fights, $15,000 Ebay sales etc. My advice is ignore it. It will pass soon.
topshot_2k
Banned

21st Mar 07 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nail in the coffin.

Good work steve, lets wait for john
Marc

21st Mar 07 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you two not bored of all this now?
Steve
Premium Member

21st Mar 07 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, go take a wii

[Edited on 21-03-2007 by Steve]
Marc

21st Mar 07 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll Wii on you in a minute
topshot_2k
Banned

21st Mar 07 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH im looking forward tot he big flop of the PS3. ill then create a post saying 'told you so'
Mad Moe

21st Mar 07 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The PS3 will not flop no matter how inderior you seem to think it is compared to the Xbox
Dom

21st Mar 07 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Moe
The PS3 will not flop no matter how inferior you seem to think it is compared to the Xbox

<topshot quote of the day!>
quote:
Nail in the coffin.

Exactly! It's impossible for the PS3 to fail, theres enough fans in the world to buy the console and there are plenty of reason why - like having a HDMI cable, compared to microsoft's invisible version which has been in the making for the last year and a half

Plus im sure there will be a time when the PS3 will piss all over the 360's bonfire, whether it'll be now or in two years time, who knows but the processing power is there to do things a lot better than the 360.

[Edited on 21-03-2007 by Dom]
topshot_2k
Banned

21st Mar 07 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not without sorting the memory issues
Steve
Premium Member

21st Mar 07 at 15:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly here we have a developer who develops for BOTH consoles and is in no way biased telling you technically the 360 is superior and easier to program for yet people are still saying its not true
Nath

21st Mar 07 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But the HDMI cable
topshot_2k
Banned

21st Mar 07 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can output 1080 over component with the option of HDMI cable in the future
Steve
Premium Member

21st Mar 07 at 15:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dunno, a games developer with years of experience, or sony fanboys off corsasport, hmm..tricky one
topshot_2k
Banned

21st Mar 07 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom

21st Mar 07 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
can output 1080 over component with the option of HDMI cable in the future

you keep spurting that, but this HDMI cable has been in the making for a year and half and i doubt it's anything down to demand, as there is demand right now for it! With people getting wrapped up in the new technology of LCDs/Plasma tvs and buying anything with a HDMI port, it would make business sense that they release one.

And component is fine for games, with it producing 1080p. But you can't watch HD content at 1080p over component, you need a vga cable which beats the point of having a digital source and digital screen only to use a analog cable
topshot_2k
Banned

21st Mar 07 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well it is a games console after all, HD player is optional

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/20/xbox-360-elite-new-black-limited-edition-xbox-with-hdmi-and-120gb-drive/

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll