corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Had the car two weeks and we have our first problem :(

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Had the car two weeks and we have our first problem :(
gavin18787
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Mar 07 at 18:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I brought a gsi a couple of weeks ago and its been fine up until today.

Noticed it was a bit smoky this morning and if you accelerate hard it seems a little hesitant and slightly juddery.
So I have just checked the coolent level it was very low. I know i checked it on sunday and it was fine.
So im thinking the headgasket may be on the way out

What can i do to confirm my fears?

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Adam-D

14th Mar 07 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could just be a airlock or it may have a leak

check for leaks first and do a compression test
VegasPhil
Premium Member

14th Mar 07 at 18:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be a leak. Look at the driveway when you leave it at night then come back out and look for wet spots on the ground

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Warren G

14th Mar 07 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to see if its a head gasket you need to do a sniffer test - tests for co2 in the coolant

smoke could be steam seals
gavin18787
Premium Member

14th Mar 07 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam-D
could just be a airlock or it may have a leak

check for leaks first and do a compression test

will an airlock clear itself or does the system need draining and re filling. as it could be this as i replaced the coolent on saturday as mine was really old and scummy.

I couldnt see any obvious leaks from where i was parked but i will put a sheet of card under it tomoro to see if any thing is coming out.

Is it expensive to get a compression test or sniffer test done as i assume you need specilist equipment to do them?

cheers for the replys Gavin

dan_c4rsa

14th Mar 07 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats dump. think im buying mine sunday - if i get a problem i'll cry because my sxi's been amazing.
Warren G

14th Mar 07 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you changed the coolant then you have to wait until the fan cuts in - this makes sure the coolant has fully circuilated the system and all air is out

vauxhall's are self bleeding systems, so top the level back up and it should stay the same level

don't worry about compession test, if you went to a small garage and drive up and stay just do a sniffer/headgasket test will take 2 seconds (along as the engines hot) and probley £10, but i cant see any need since you said you changed the coolant, the level always goes down on first drive
Adam-D

14th Mar 07 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

compression tester is about £20 and you can do it yourself

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10151&productId=199553&categoryId=31477

to clear a air lock put the heaters on hot and full, run the car upto temp till the thermostat opens rev it a bit and you shud get coolent throu the top 2 inlets of the header tank, check all pipes are hot and thatll it be clear
gavin18787
Premium Member

14th Mar 07 at 19:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by warren.g
if you changed the coolant then you have to wait until the fan cuts in - this makes sure the coolant has fully circuilated the system and all air is out

vauxhall's are self bleeding systems, so top the level back up and it should stay the same level

don't worry about compession test, if you went to a small garage and drive up and stay just do a sniffer/headgasket test will take 2 seconds (along as the engines hot) and probley £10, but i cant see any need since you said you changed the coolant, the level always goes down on first drive

Yer fan came in on the way home from work whilst in traffic. brought the temp back down fine, also checked all of the pipes when i got in and they were all hot.

Might get the test done anyway just to be sure as im still not 100% as its still a bit smokey and after it has been switched off you can here the coolent bottle fizzing away.

Am i ok to be using the car just in case it is the head gasket going?

Warren G

14th Mar 07 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

most will 'fizz' a bit, but id just make sure, its only gonna cost £10 to find out

and if the worse comes to the worse, im sure we could work something out

but lets hope its gonna be okay

o yes you can use the car, but if you find out its gone best to fix asap

[Edited on 14-03-2007 by warren.g]
gavin18787
Premium Member

14th Mar 07 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got next week off work anyway to use up some anual leave so il nip down one the local garage on monday to get it checked as im going to get a quote from the body shop down there anyway.

Warren if it stays smokey what would it cost to get the steam seals done, big job?

Cheers for the help everyone

Warren G

14th Mar 07 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IF its the steam seals its a head off job, and all of the cylinder head stripped (all valves out) and the replacing the seals, which if there the same as my one all a bitch to get out

if doing a headgasket its not that much extra work, but if you was to do the steam seals you would replace the head gasket anyway, so its sort of win win

get a quote off the garage to do the job - just for a laugh!
gavin18787
Premium Member

14th Mar 07 at 20:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will do

If its not causing any damage im not too fussed as the smoke isnt excessive just more then my old car

BarnshaW

14th Mar 07 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my stem seals are gone just have to top it up with oil more frequently
Cole

14th Mar 07 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it goes gav and causes any damage to the head i have a spare
gavin18787
Premium Member

14th Mar 07 at 20:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks

but lets hope not

New Poll