corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Car over heating!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car over heating!
gavin18787
Premium Member

User status: Offline
11th Mar 07 at 19:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just came for a short drive back from town nothing fast or special, pulled up on my drive and thought that the temp gauge was very high and i couldnt hear the fan running.
So i popped the bonnet to have a look and the fan was indeed not on and the coolent bottle was boiling away with steam whistling out of it

After it had all cooled down I checked the coolent level and that is fine.

So what i am thinking the fault is is the thermostat. As it did seem to warm up very quick too, like it wasent opening and sending coolent to the rad.

Anyone got any suggestions? and where is the thermostat on a 1.6 16v engine?

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
ainsley_brader

11th Mar 07 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you try feeling the rad to see if it was warm?
Thermostat is at the top front of the engine cambelt side where the top hose connects to the engine. It is inside that alu housing
gavin18787
Premium Member

11th Mar 07 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah didnt fancy feeling around as it was all really hot.

Do you have to drain the cooling system to take it out and inspect it?

gavin18787
Premium Member

11th Mar 07 at 22:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

update:

went for a drive to see if it did it again. car got hot and so did the radiator. So i presume this indicates that it is not the thermostat.

Fan sometimes comes on and brings the temp down otherwise it doesnt and it over heats and the coolent boils.

So im thinking its the fan switch that is faulty???

New Poll