corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » X14XE - lacking at low rev's

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author X14XE - lacking at low rev's
Mase
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Jan 07 at 14:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've noticed recently that when i use normal unleaded 95 RON my X14XE is pretty flat and doesn't feel as if it wants to rev and it feels as if its lacking in power between idle and around 3k rpm.

I put a tank full of super in yesterday and that problem has seemed to disappeared to a certain extent. What could cause this lack in power using 95 RON ?? Its had new plugs and air filter recently and had an oil change about 5000 miles ago...

Mase
andyc1234

21st Jan 07 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive always run mine on super. had to put put normal petrol in and it felt gutless. stuck super back in it and it felt fine guess im just used to it
vaux-tech

21st Jan 07 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is this the super unleaded they use at shell garages i take it? never used it in the 8v, may try it next week on the gsi.
andyc1234

21st Jan 07 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stick some in, you dont really notice it that much but when u put normal stuff in you can feel theres less power bottom end. either run it on super or run it on normal, putting super in randomly doesnt really do anything, you have to run nearly a tank through before you can tell.
matt_aka_smiler

21st Jan 07 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so whats a better fuel 97 or 99 ron?
andyc1234

21st Jan 07 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

99s better thats what i have in mine 89p a litre from tesco
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

21st Jan 07 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

higher ron fuel will make no difference whatsoever in an N/A 1.4 engine
andyc1234

21st Jan 07 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

running mine on 99 octane makes it what it probably used to be like back in the day, if i put normal petrol in it dies, 1.6 on the way soon. one thats not shagged.
Dave A

21st Jan 07 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your engine is having problems when running on normal petrol, fix the problem. using a higher ron fuel probably isnt solving the problem, maybe just masking it.
andyc1234

21st Jan 07 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not too bothered about the engine really it was past it before i bought the car i think. always planned on changing it. why spend money trying to fix a 1.4 when i can save up for a 1.6 and some tb's

[Edited on 21-01-2007 by andyc1234]
Jas

21st Jan 07 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i ran super unleaded in my car and I gained about 10mph top end. and about 1-2 seconds faster to 60mph, That was on my corsa 1.6
Dave A

21st Jan 07 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andyc1234
im not too bothered about the engine really it was past it before i bought the car i think. always planned on changing it. why spend money trying to fix a 1.4 when i can save up for a 1.6 and some tb's

[Edited on 21-01-2007 by andyc1234]

good engine choice
Dave A

21st Jan 07 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jas16v
i ran super unleaded in my car and I gained about 1-2 seconds faster to 60mph, That was on my corsa 1.6

quote of the week
andyc1234

21st Jan 07 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should be fun just need to get a list of parts sorted. not really helping the topic for mase really anyone any idea whats wrong with his engine or is it just shagged to death like mine.
Jas

21st Jan 07 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave A
quote:
i ran super unleaded in my car and I gained about 1-2 seconds faster to 60mph, That was on my corsa 1.6

quote of the week

You should try it, I had a pipercross viper on mine too though so it was about 10-15bhp more than standard
andyc1234

21st Jan 07 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got a viper style kit on mine and full exhaust system inc manifold and its probably only 15bhp up on standard
Dave A

21st Jan 07 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave A
quote:

quote of the week

You should try it, I had a pipercross viper on mine too though so it was about 10-15bhp more than standard

so an air filter and some higher ron fuel gained you 10-15bhp? no chance, possibly 2-3 if you are lucky
Jas

21st Jan 07 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah read the pipercross box dave, it says like 10bhp more! and i got some tubing in there to get some more power.
Shrek

21st Jan 07 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mase
I've noticed recently that when i use normal unleaded 95 RON my X14XE is pretty flat and doesn't feel as if it wants to rev and it feels as if its lacking in power between idle and around 3k rpm.

I put a tank full of super in yesterday and that problem has seemed to disappeared to a certain extent. What could cause this lack in power using 95 RON ?? Its had new plugs and air filter recently and had an oil change about 5000 miles ago...

might wanna check your map sensor pipe for splits, have you noticed any pinking/detonation?
drunkenfool

21st Jan 07 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
nah read the pipercross box dave, it says like 10bhp more! and i got some tubing in there to get some more power.

It's true. I was with him when he bought it and i saw the box too, he's not lying.
Dave A

21st Jan 07 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

you are joking right?

do you really think an overpriced hyped up air filter will gain anywhere near 10bhp on an otherwise standard 1.6
Shrek

21st Jan 07 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it makes your car go phwaaaarp and may show a 2bhp increase with a big fan infront of it!!
Rob B

21st Jan 07 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think there joking Dave ....
Jas

21st Jan 07 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mase
Premium Member

21st Jan 07 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shrek
might wanna check your map sensor pipe for splits, have you noticed any pinking/detonation?

No, I haven't noticed any pinking. I'll have another look at all the pipes for possible cracks, but haven't noticed anything thats too obvious.... Could it have anything to do with the flow of the fuel by any chance and by using the super unleaded, thats a bit more volatile (if thats even correct ??), it's masking the problem of a flow issue ?? I'm probably just making stuff up here, but its a start !!! What sensors could it be ?? I have not had the ECU light on since i've owned the car, so apart from it feeling a bit gutless lower down the revs, its fine...

[Edited on 21-01-2007 by Mase]

Mase

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll