corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » 2 x Sky+ boxes - possible? How?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2 x Sky+ boxes - possible? How?
Jules

User status: Offline
20th Jan 07 at 03:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sky are coming in about 6 hours to upgrade me to Sky+ (I really should goto bed ) and tonight my mate told me that he'll send me his old Sky+ box from when he upgraded to SkyHD.
Now, I've no need for it but I'm never one to turn down a freebie, but how would I be able to get it working?
WIll the nice Sky installation man have to do anything different? If so should I slip him a tenner to do it or keep schtum and do whatever is needed after he's gone?

EDIT: I mean so I have 2 Sky+ boxes working in two different rooms - kind of like Sky+Multiroom without the extra £10/month!

Opinons please?

[Edited on 20-01-2007 by Jules]
Sam
Premium Member

20th Jan 07 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The standard LNB on the dish has got one output, whereas when you upgrade to multiroom, they install one that has 4 outputs.

Also, as well as a new LNB, you would need another viewing card, so basically you can't really get around NOT paying for Sky Multiroom.

Just pay for multiroom or give me your Sky+ box!
BlueCorsa

20th Jan 07 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For Sky+, you need two feeds from the dish to the box, so they will install a quad output LNB anyway. You just need the guy to put another two feeds from the dish to the room where you want the second box. But as said - you will need another viewing card for the second box (if you want to watch subscription services or use the recording features). The box would work on it's own without a card for just watching unencrypted channels (not many).
Nismo

20th Jan 07 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just let them install multiroom , then as mentioned you will get the SKY+ LNB with 4 feeds and you just swap the box over to SKY+ when you get it and make up your own cable to go from the LNB to the box ,simple as.
Dom

20th Jan 07 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can buy the LNBs, get a twin jobby for 60 odd quid - doesn't take 10 minutes to install, just make sure you don't move the dish much

But like said, you need a viewing card, but im sure there are ways around that....get a replacement (dog chewed it etc)? (though im not sure if they'd ban you're other card?)
Kurt

20th Jan 07 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you get sky multiroom is it just for two boxes or can you get a third aswell?
Sam
Premium Member

21st Jan 07 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can have up to 4 Sky boxes on one dish, subscription is an extra £10 per month per box
Steve
Premium Member

21st Jan 07 at 10:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
just let them install multiroom , then as mentioned you will get the SKY+ LNB with 4 feeds and you just swap the box over to SKY+ when you get it and make up your own cable to go from the LNB to the box ,simple as.

still need a viewing card though

New Poll