corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Anybody got sky+ ??

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anybody got sky+ ??
BlueCorsa

User status: Offline
4th Jun 05 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
£200 for the boxes, and then £50 installation cost, as you can't just do a straight swap for a normal sky box, has to be set up (that's what i was told, and told people anyway)

That's what it used to be about 6 months ago anyway.

Yeah, Sky+ boxes need to have 2 feeds from the dish as it has 2 tuners, unlike the normal Sky boxes which just have 1 tuner and need 1 cable
James_DT

4th Jun 05 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Sky+ box was £150 (which was only £50 more than a normal box) about 3 months ago, and it's now £89 from Sky.com

[Edited on 04-06-2005 by James_DT]
slugger_54132

4th Jun 05 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a lot more expensive if your an existing cutomer, sky basically offer the box and installation at a discounted rate for new customers.

I GOT IT FREE THOUGH AND I WAS AN EXISTING CUSTOMER!!! won a competition at work!
BlueCorsa

4th Jun 05 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James_DT
The Sky+ box was £150 (which was only £50 more than a normal box) about 3 months ago, and it's now £89 from Sky.com

Hey, I paid £200 for mine just over a year ago And that was as a new subscriber!

Best thing to do once you're with Sky is just to ring them up and say you'll cancel and they let you have pretty much whatever you want
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jun 05 at 17:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i paid £89 for it
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jun 05 at 17:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are the hdd's just normal ide drives?
Cavey

4th Jun 05 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.pycs.net/users/0000348/weblog/2004/05/29.html

" The box takes a standard IDE drive and many people upgrade it to 120G for 60 hours ..."

Apparently so.

(Not read that link, so it might be bollox )
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jun 05 at 18:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

trouble is, you open up the box you void warranty i think
Cavey

4th Jun 05 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, you would. Risk you take really aint it.

Same as chipping a playstation and all that
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jun 05 at 18:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pmsl "The torx screwdriver didn't fit very well and the screws holding the drive in would not budge. I snapped a drill drilling the old screws out."
BlueCorsa

4th Jun 05 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a chump, would only do it if the box is over a year old - keep the original hard drive as well, then you can put it back if something else in the box fcuks up.

The original drive in the machine is a 40GB Maxtor I believe, any normal IDE drive should fit.

The Sky160+ box has other differences apart from the bigger hard drive though - it has a USB port on it, but it's disabled. Would be nice if they put in a feature to let you rip programs off onto PC, but I can't see it ever happening. When you record something on a Sky+, it stores it in an encrypted state and plays it back through the viewing card when you watch it, so that means you couldn't rip something and watch something at the same time.
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jun 05 at 18:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant you hook up an s video out to the PC then you will be sending the video in unencrypted state ?
BlueCorsa

4th Jun 05 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
cant you hook up an s video out to the PC then you will be sending the video in unencrypted state ?

Yep u can, but it's a pain in the ass because it has to re-record on the PC in realtime, then if you want to burn it to DVD, it has to be transcoded which takes hours.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Anybody got sky+ ?? 23 database queries in 0.0131581 seconds