corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My first car - Cleaning wheel hubs and calipers

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My first car - Cleaning wheel hubs and calipers
Wonderboy

User status: Offline
20th Jan 07 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyCorsaSport
60grit on plastic?

What would you have recommended ? 120 grit ?
Anton2K3

20th Jan 07 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nooo....well maybe to get the bubble effect off, then use a much finer sand paper, 400-600 grit.
Look, read the back of the rattle cans, they are NOT 2k paint, which means there is no hardner in them. They require laquer, no doubt.
If i have got the wrong end of the stick, and you are spraying with 2k paint in rattle cans, i apologise.
You really need to start listening to the advice people are giving you if you want a nice looking finish / car , thats going to withstand the test of time.
Its a great first effort, but now you just need to improve on it to get it right.
Wonderboy

20th Jan 07 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Anton2K3
nooo....well maybe to get the bubble effect off, then use a much finer sand paper, 400-600 grit.
Look, read the back of the rattle cans, they are NOT 2k paint, which means there is no hardner in them. They require laquer, no doubt.
If i have got the wrong end of the stick, and you are spraying with 2k paint in rattle cans, i apologise.
You really need to start listening to the advice people are giving you if you want a nice looking finish / car , thats going to withstand the test of time.
Its a great first effort, but now you just need to improve on it to get it right.

Sorry Will laqure effect the way it looks as well ? Becasue right now it's looks like a matt colour.
antscorsa

20th Jan 07 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah laquer will give it that shine but your simply wasting money and paint if your going to laquer that front bumper in that state.
seriosuly needs some 400-800 grit wet adn dry to get it back to being ultra smooth, then some filler primer about 4 coats then about 4-5 coats of red then about 4 coats of laquer which needs rubbing down with say 1000-1200 and the polished up with some compound.
Wonderboy

20th Jan 07 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I put the bumoer on, just holding it on with two screws, and i'm not sure. There was a few bits i missed with primer and paint because it was hanging upside down, so i am fixing that part at the moment.

Here are some pictures. I'm not really sure what to do

antscorsa

20th Jan 07 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when youve got more time, take it off, sand it down using 600 till its alot smoother, use some filler primer and then do wuite a few coats till its like silk, to be hoenst tho youve prpb spent already adnout 35 quid on paint and your gona need another 30-40 again to do the whole lot.
save up and get it done pro, will cost u maybe 100 as youve done a lot of the prep work already.
Wonderboy

20th Jan 07 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea i think i will leave it untill i have more time. It was using that 60 grit which messed it up a little i think. Should i sand it down with 1500 wet and dry with hot soapy water just now ? or leave it ?

£100... ? That pretty cheap, i though it would cost between £250-400.

I have spent arround that doing this, and have ran out of paint again.

I guess i will leave it for now. Don't have any laquer though at the moment.
antscorsa

20th Jan 07 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will be cheaper if you do your own prep work, good paint job is all in the prep.

if youve got time then sand it down with say 800 then 1200 till its really smooth on the hand then filler primer a lot, saves a painter doing it so might be cheaper fo you as all theyve got to do is put down 3-4 coats pf 2k paint.
Wonderboy

20th Jan 07 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I guess they look ok. Just painted over the bits i missed and i might fit them later tonight or tomorrow morning.

How easy or hard do you think it would be to turn the bumpers back to normal ? (black) Would i be able to get them looking as good as they did before ?
Wonderboy

20th Jan 07 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went out and rougly fitted it again. Some pictures:

As you can see there are a few imperfections, which i'm trying to fix at the moment.
Ant

20th Jan 07 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as said in g/c post you dont lacquer on flame red paint (though i can see why people might suggest it when painting with celly cans) More prep is what I would recomend and I mean sand all they way back through the grades, lots of nice even light coats will get the best finish. If you can spare the cash look at buying a compreser / gun, that way the paint will work out a lot cheaper
Wonderboy

20th Jan 07 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Little update, the back bumper is done.

Looks a little yellow but thats just the flash and the reflection

Wonderboy

20th Jan 07 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ant
as said in g/c post you dont lacquer on flame red paint (though i can see why people might suggest it when painting with celly cans) More prep is what I would recomend and I mean sand all they way back through the grades, lots of nice even light coats will get the best finish. If you can spare the cash look at buying a compreser / gun, that way the paint will work out a lot cheaper

Thanks for the advice. Yea a compressor and gun would be so much better. It would give me a much better finish as well. Though i don't really have anywhere to use one. I am currently spraying the the garage but i have the feeling if i used a compressor paint would go everywhere.

How much roughly do they cost ? Did you spray your own bumpers Ant ?
Ant

20th Jan 07 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my brother in law did mine in his garage, you do get a bit of paint about the place buteck its all good fun, not sure on prices have a look round ebay
Anton2K3

20th Jan 07 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ant, as far as i am aware (i'm not a pro) you need laquer on these halfords paints as they are not 2k?
M2RTY

20th Jan 07 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi mate,

keep trying, i built this from scratch when i was 17, took 4 years to do and started off bad but i got there in the end:

http://groups.msn.com/marvscorsa/2004picsnew.msnw?albumlist=2
Wonderboy

20th Jan 07 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M2RTY
hi mate,

keep trying, i built this from scratch when i was 17, took 4 years to do and started off bad but i got there in the end:

http://groups.msn.com/marvscorsa/2004picsnew.msnw?albumlist=2

I remember reading this somewhere.... You had astra headlights or something didn't you ? Can't remember where i read it though. Amazing job you done

Is the thread still alive ? I want to read it agian
Ant

20th Jan 07 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ant, as far as i am aware (i'm not a pro) you need laquer on these halfords paints as they are not 2k?

dont think so on flame red, I will admit all my stuff is done in 2k but im sure i remember checking the charts in halfords and it said no laquer on flame red.
Wonderboy

20th Jan 07 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ant
quote:

dont think so on flame red, I will admit all my stuff is done in 2k but im sure i remember checking the charts in halfords and it said no laquer on flame red.

Thanks, people have been telling me to start listening to them and i should take their advice when i said that it doesn't need laquering...
Anton2K3

20th Jan 07 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well is sounds like none of us are sure, so i would check ot out youself if i were you wonderboy, only way to be sure.
If you need the car on the road, just remove 2 of the arches, and keep them off the car until you have finished them. That way you can experiment and learn from those before you move on to the bumpers? Just a thought.
Wonderboy

20th Jan 07 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea good idea. I finished most of the finishing touches on the bumper. I'll go out in 5 mins to give it one last light going over. Here it is.

Anton2K3

20th Jan 07 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not looking bad. Practice makes perfect as they say. Keep us updated on the arches you practice on!
Hoddo

20th Jan 07 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this thread inspires me, maybe one day i'll have a crack at mine! being a perfectionist Id love to grab a piece of wet & dry and go for the ultra smooth feel!
ajscorsa

20th Jan 07 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

holy fuk mate. they dont look too good and thats me bein nice about it. you wantin them re done?? am from irvine and dont mind givin you a hand?

i painted my back bumper, arches and skirts ma self
islandofshame

20th Jan 07 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quick question, got some rear arches from the scrappies a few months ago now and been slowly practicing the art of spray painting n i must admit im gettin the hang of it (no runs, sags orange peel)

the only problem i have had with the arches is the plastic dimple effect which i find extremely hard to remove...what i wanted to know was, could i use an electric sander on it or would it just chew up the arch?

n yea, its kinda patchy on closer inspection m8...need to make sure ur gettin proper paint coverage with your coats...

[Edited on 20-01-2007 by islandofshame]

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My first car - Cleaning wheel hubs and calipers 23 database queries in 0.0182111 seconds