corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My first car - Cleaning wheel hubs and calipers

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My first car - Cleaning wheel hubs and calipers
Wonderboy

User status: Offline
19th Jan 07 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The bumper is finished now - Some pictures were taken without a flash because it sometimes shows the colour better. Here is the pictures through coat 1-4:

(my steady hand )

I'm pretty happy with it, i think i could of done a better job with the sanding but still. I like it. Just have the back bumper to do and some other bits. Can't wait to fit it all back together.

[Edited on 19-01-2007 by Wonderboy]
islandofshame

19th Jan 07 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

plastic dimple effect is the main problem with the finish here, high build primer or a LOT of sanding would have given a much better finish - practice makes perfect, i'm on the exact same boat as u atm m8, cant wait to see how they look back on the car tho!
Craig A

19th Jan 07 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well done mate its looking good. keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.
Wonderboy

19th Jan 07 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by islandofshame
plastic dimple effect is the main problem with the finish here, high build primer or a LOT of sanding would have given a much better finish - practice makes perfect, i'm on the exact same boat as u atm m8, cant wait to see how they look back on the car tho!

Yea there is a little dimple effect in some places. I went from 60 grit sand paper to 800 grit, i think i needed something in between. Next time i'll take more time over the sanding

The arches were a pain to get off. Don't know how i'm going to get them back on lol.

So you colour coding you car ? Any pictures ?
Wonderboy

19th Jan 07 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tonight i might go get some more filler/primer and some paint. I have sanded down the back bumper ready for priming.
Anton2K3

19th Jan 07 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, when you are happy with the finishe, put a few coats of laquer on, then when thats fully dry (24h +) polish it up with some g40 cutting compound.
Davidp18

19th Jan 07 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u shud never jump more than 2 sanding grit grades mate but uv done well considering its ur first attempt
Wonderboy

19th Jan 07 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Anton2K3
Also, when you are happy with the finishe, put a few coats of laquer on, then when thats fully dry (24h +) polish it up with some g40 cutting compound.

No laquer for me. I have been told that Flame Red Paint doesn't need any Laqure
Wonderboy

19th Jan 07 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Davidp18
u shud never jump more than 2 sanding grit grades mate

Yea i know that now

quote:
but uv done well considering its ur first attempt

Thank you
Graeme
Premium Member

19th Jan 07 at 18:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wonderboy

depends what type of paint it is and also why were u using 60 grit, that is far to corse to use on a bumper!
Wonderboy

19th Jan 07 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graeme
quote:
Originally posted by Wonderboy

depends what type of paint it is and also why were u using 60 grit, that is far to corse to use on a bumper!

I was told too by someone
antscorsa

19th Jan 07 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u can still see the scratches thru the paint, the last coat of primer shoudl make the bumper look and feel smooth as silk.

with flame red i always used laquer as its not 2k paint from a can. id go over all that again mate as the finishes is going to look poor when on the car.

well done for tryign tho i learnt alot when doing my own.
Wonderboy

19th Jan 07 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You think i should give it another coat of paint ?
Anton2K3

19th Jan 07 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would rub it down with some wet and dry, until its smooth, primer it again, rub it down, spray it, maybe rub it down with some very fine wet and dry, and then laquer it. you need laquer as your not using 2k paint. without laquer it will prib just peel off, and chip/scratch very easily.
You'll get a really good finish if you do the above.
Wonderboy

19th Jan 07 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doing the rear bumper at the moment. Pics up soon Had to go to Halfords for some more primer and paint
Anton2K3

19th Jan 07 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you get some laquer and finer sand paper?
Wonderboy

19th Jan 07 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got some 120 sand paper two more cans of primer and two more paint. Nearly finished those two cans of primer on the bumper It's because of the meterial it needs so much i think.

I didn't get any laquer though. Someone who paints cars as a hobbie - who is also a member of these forums, told me i shouldn't laquer it. So... not sure.
Wonderboy

19th Jan 07 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Little update. Theback bumper and toe cover thing... was primed and another fron arch also:

It's smoother than the front bumper was.

Some more front bumper pics, pretty poor pics though because i had to move it out of the way so i could prime the rear bumper.

And the front of my car

So tomorrow i'll hopefully get the front bumper and one arch fitted back on the car. Then paint the rear bumper and the other front arch. Leave them overnight to dry and fit them on Sunday.

I will need to wait untill next wednesday/thursday before i can take the back arches off to paint them, as i need the car on Monday
Mark330d

19th Jan 07 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how many cans of primer an paint have you used out of curiosity?
JamesMG

19th Jan 07 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i posted in the other section with some advice matey.. think it was iaz you were referring to tho..

If im honest id start again to be honest.. good effort for first try but for a long term job youll need to add some more steps!

i would of started with something like 400 grit, if you use too coarse of grit you can burr the plastics (will go almost fluffy) and once this happens your gonna have a hard time!

check out the tutorial section for how to paint plastics!
Wonderboy

19th Jan 07 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be honist i don't think i have done that bad for a first attemp. Fair enough i could of spent a little more time sanding etc.. but i need the car for Monday so i guess i did maybe rush it slightly.

I have used 4 and a bit cans of primer and 2 cans of paint i think. Will be 4 cans of paint by tomorrow probably though.
Wonderboy

19th Jan 07 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

By the way, the front bumper where it attaches under the bonnet isn't painted properly as you can see. Thats because i was painting it upside down. But no matter, no one is really going to see that anyway so...
JamesMG

19th Jan 07 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i agree good job for a first go! you dont learn unless you try! im just giving you some advice thats all.. took me ages to learn and i still make stupid mistakes all the time!

Just for reference this is how my primer generally looks before paint... and yeah i know already its probably way too smooth but hey..

Oh and that rear bumper looks better than the front ive got to say
Wonderboy

19th Jan 07 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea i think its to do with the material, it's because its plastic its harder to do. If it were fibreglass for example it would probably be much easier to do beacuse it would be smoother to start with. Next time i'll use a lower grit of sandpaper to start with.

The stuff i used at first - 60 grit, was to corse for the plastic and scratched it.
AndyCorsaSport

20th Jan 07 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

60grit on plastic?

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My first car - Cleaning wheel hubs and calipers 23 database queries in 0.0102930 seconds