corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My first car - Cleaning wheel hubs and calipers

New Poll
  <<  7    8    9    10    11  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My first car - Cleaning wheel hubs and calipers
Mark330d

User status: Offline
1st Apr 07 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that grill is meant to be like that, looks ok in the flesh, look in "gez g"'s garage for more pics of it on a red corsa, I also have this grill on my red corsa
Whittie

2nd Apr 07 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DJMartin07
I'm looking for a post 97 front bumper in black at the top and red at the bottom for my SRi, but I need a job before I start spending money on it.

When I get my airdam bumper you can buy mine
deano87

2nd Apr 07 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wonderboy
Sorry mate, pics up soon. Fitted a new CV boot today, think it may need done agian though

My hand brake light is nearly always on now for some strange reason, my engine management light is also on *sighs* MOT is up next month as well

Wonderboy

22nd Apr 07 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So finially some pictures; today I gave her a wash, and a polish with my brothers new polisher. It worked really well, but the pictures don't exactly do it justice.

I'm now down to two wheel trims! I need a cheap set of alloys or something.

I plan on getting red bulbs for my dash and heaters to make the inside a little better. I would also love new interior, but I'm a little short on cash at the moment with MOT and Tax this month
Wonderboy

26th Apr 07 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sigh.

Failed it's MOT today: CV Boot, Crankshaft sensor, and something else which I can't remember the name of, but I shall post a picture of it later on today.

The CV boot I was disappointed at; me and my dad noticed that it was split, so fitted a new one our selfs, we obviously didn't do a very good job.
Wonderboy

5th May 07 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yey,

Look what I just won!

£12.50
deano87

6th May 07 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The red paint job you did doesn't look too bad mate

How come you have pre-97 bumpers if your car is post-97?
Wonderboy

6th May 07 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
The red paint job you did doesn't look too bad mate

How come you have pre-97 bumpers if your car is post-97?

Only one reason: I couldn't get a post 97 bumper I do prefer the post 97 rear bumper, but this will do.

The paint job I done isn't that bad, no, but it's not as good as I want it too be.

I'm going to put it back to standard colour coded bumpers (which i never had) and go from there really. I'm not too sure what front bumper I would like, probably a post 97 - it's a front bumper I'm in most need of.

So I'm on the look out for a font bumper and two front black arches.

[Edited on 06-05-2007 by Wonderboy]
Wonderboy

15th May 07 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I gave my car a wash yesterday, and went over half of it with Meguiars Paint Cleaner, it worked a treat. It started to rain and I finished the rest off today after college. It's still only been done with the paint cleaner, but it still looks shiny.

Yes, I know, it looks like it's on stilts

And My new Wheels!

Sorry for all the pictures, I tried to take some good ones, instead of all the straight shots like my others.

My new standard Flame Red rear bumper should be here soon, maybe at the weekend. Still on the look out for a font bumper though.

[Edited on 15-05-2007 by Wonderboy]
Graeme
Premium Member

15th May 07 at 16:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u need to get the arches sorted, personally i would just put them black again!
Wonderboy

15th May 07 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know.

When my new back bumper comes, I have two black rear arches to put on with it.

I then need a front bumper and two front black aches - which I need to buy from somewhere.

I can't really put them back to black, if I were to sand them down, I would need to repaint them black, would I not?
7 omm

15th May 07 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it looks like mine but older

cool.
Toby
Premium Member

15th May 07 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate with your arches, well definatly fronts get some tcut and rub it hard untill you get paint on your polishing cloth and take a nice thin layer of paint off, getr out your polish and polish it like a badger and they will shine so much better makes a bad job a good un and its worth it for an hours work
Wonderboy

15th May 07 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaB4ever
mate with your arches, well definatly fronts get some tcut and rub it hard untill you get paint on your polishing cloth and take a nice thin layer of paint off, getr out your polish and polish it like a badger and they will shine so much better makes a bad job a good un and its worth it for an hours work

That will rub all of the paint down to the primer!
Toby
Premium Member

16th May 07 at 17:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no it wont just take a thin layer off, if you have enough paint on which you should it will be fine, it doesnt take much to get it off just have to be carefull, iirc its called flatting
craig8
Premium Member

16th May 07 at 20:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no its not, sanding it down with 1200+ grit wet and dry paper is called flatting

t-cutting is an abrasive pollish, and yes it might bring it to a shine, just depends how the paints been done but it doesnt look like a straight 2k paint as there is no shine, so im guessing its a basecoat with no clear, therefore it wont be shiney even with pollishing

E36 328
Wonderboy

16th May 07 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by craig8
no its not, sanding it down with 1200+ grit wet and dry paper is called flatting

t-cutting is an abrasive pollish, and yes it might bring it to a shine, just depends how the paints been done but it doesnt look like a straight 2k paint as there is no shine, so im guessing its a basecoat with no clear, therefore it wont be shiney even with pollishing

Correct
Toby
Premium Member

22nd May 07 at 15:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wonderboy
quote:
Originally posted by craig8

Correct

well no harm in trying

quote]Originally posted by craig8

you can flat with cutting compound
Wonderboy

22nd May 07 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not straight 2k paint, no. It's fine for now anyway. I should have a new pre 79 back bumper really soon, and I'll get a new front bumper soonish as well hopefully.
craig8
Premium Member

22nd May 07 at 17:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaB4ever

you can flat with cutting compound

if you do it not too long after the paint is dry then yeah, but its been left to long and no amount of flatting will make it shine as it is anyway

E36 328
Wonderboy

25th May 07 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I spent all day cleaning the car, here's what I done: Washed it, Dried it, Clay Bar, Polish and a Wax. My car now smells like cherries because of the wax

Here are the pictures, there wasn't much light as the sun has gone.

Wonderboy

26th May 07 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was bored today, and for some reason decided I would clean my wheel hubs and calipers. Although I didn't have the tools. However I did find an iron brush which I used, it was difficult and didn't work very well, but it kind of done the job.

I spent some time doing one of the back wheels, I only had a brush, so it was taking ages. Tomorrow I'm going to get a drill attachment.

Anyway here is all I got done:

Here's what I was using:

Hopefully I will make a lot more progress tomorrow with the wire wool attachment.
ChrisBoom

26th May 07 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy some hammerite, give them a paint.
Wonderboy

26th May 07 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisBoom
Buy some hammerite, give them a paint.

I'll see what it looks like first tomorrow, after I have given it a good clean with the wire wool.
Nic Barnes

26th May 07 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you paint them do them black.

<<  7    8    9    10    11  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My first car - Cleaning wheel hubs and calipers 24 database queries in 0.0179050 seconds