corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Media Centre

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Media Centre
Neil

User status: Offline
14th Jan 07 at 05:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone who is running Media Centre. Can you use all the features etc with videos / pictures / music from another location other than My Videos / My Pictures / My Music?

Like, could I get it to look on a networked drive for my media?

thanks
Aaron

14th Jan 07 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, i'm in the process of building my own media centre and writing the software. I'll be streaming videos and music from my server over my wireless network
andy1868

14th Jan 07 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you may need to make sure the networked drive is open for sharing, simply right click on the drive and choose "sharing" or "sharing and security" something along those lines. open that and find the box to click to open the drive for sharing

i also assume you aren't planning on using a server, i don't know first hand but there could be "issues" in accessing the server on media centre. but don't quote me on that, Aj seems to have done alright
Bart

14th Jan 07 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above, yes.

You simply right click once inside the 'Videos' section and select 'Add Videos'.

I have two storage devices for my media. In my experience, you get the occasional stutter over wireless.
Neil

14th Jan 07 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent thanks. I already use the drive across the network (on laptop and xbox 360), but I didn't know anything about Media Centre. cheers chaps.
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Jan 07 at 14:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could use TweakUI to change the paths, I have a second drive which is just My Documents, then the My Pictures and My Videos folders are inside that, just made the folders then used Tweak to alter the registry setting.

Works fine locally, I'm sure it would cause you problems if you wanted to do this to a network drive which you map but the remote computer is off when you turn yours on.
liamC

14th Jan 07 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cannot beat a Mac for a media centre, especially Front Row.

Amazing GUI, and just overall class.

Give it a look; http://www.apple.com/imac/frontrow.html
Joe

14th Jan 07 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there any way of streaming videos to my 360 without a media centre PC?
Neil

14th Jan 07 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use TVersity Joe, its good. Does AVI's etc and can even play internet radio through your X360. Unfortunately, it loses some quality when transcoding AVI's etc, which is the main reason I want a dedicated media centre over using the 360.

In reply to what you said Ian, could you give me some more info on the making a drive into My Documents. The drive i have with all my media stuff on is an external USB2 drive, so I think I'm going to move that down with the media PC then just use it over the network on the other PC's if I want anything off it. Should get rid of any skipping on the main TV, which is more important than a bit on the PC's.
Bart

14th Jan 07 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian, do you know if Tweak UI will solve the problem i got?

IVe indexed my main music folder, which has all the albums.

Inside these albums there might be subfolders called CD1, CD2, CD3.

Now MCE wont just index the top level album folders, it will index all the subfolder, so in my music section i have 100 CD1s, 100 CD2s etc then the actual albums themselves.

I havent managed to find a way around it yet
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Jan 07 at 18:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure about that one. I'm just running XP Pro and picking the music manually through the file system. No indexing.

Not sure if there might be software out there to do a batch rename or whether you could write a little shell script to read the directory and rename the subfolders based on the name of the main one.

Might also be a tick box somewhere in MCE, potentially less messy.

New Poll