corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » xbox 360 chipped....

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author xbox 360 chipped....
--Dave--
Banned

User status: Offline
12th Jan 07 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ffs if you knew how much effort went into making video games we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Hundred (sometimes thousands) of people are involved in the making of some of the big titles. Whole orchestras are used to create scores of music to be used in game. A football game might use well-known footballer for the motion capture of player movements. Artists to get developers ideas onto paper and create textures are used, the list is endless.

It's not just one bloke down in his basement

Next time your boyfriend completes a well-known game take a look at the credits at the end. You'd be forgien for mistaking it for the ending of a film.
Jamie Walby

12th Jan 07 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
do you know how games companies work its not one person who takes all the money they float on the stock market profits they make get put into several different aspects of the company, such as new technology and payment to shareholders through dividends.

so its not as if one person is saying ow look at all the money i have i dont know what to do with it.

so yes they really do need to make large profits.

Yup i never spend beyond my meens if i want something ill work more hours in my part time job, annoys the hell out of me that single mums on the dole get more money a month than me despite the fact i work.

[Edited on 12-01-2007 by ssj_kakarot]

Exactly, my 18 year old cousin and mother of 1 gets more a month for getting pregnant at 17 than I do working 40+ hours a week.

And you are right about how companies work, I think some people look at Bill Gates and think he just takes all the profit. Hes earnt a lot but thats his reward for all the hard work and time he put into Microsoft, it wasnt a multi billion organisation straight away. Some people fail to see this.

DO you have a 360?
K17STY

12th Jan 07 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jamie said "Its all about profit and how can you begrudge people making money?" and was saying how piracy is such a bad thing. i was pointing out that all piract is is profit and making money so how in turn can he begrudge that?

They at the end of the day arent overpricing their goods they are selling for enought to cover costs and make a small profit
ssj_kakarot

12th Jan 07 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yup proud owner of a 360
--Dave--
Banned

12th Jan 07 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

because piracy is illegal ffs!

Do you understand what illegal means? I.e against the law?

Would you begrudge me making a profit if I was pimping your daughter out every night? No? Good.
Jamie Walby

12th Jan 07 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --Dave--
ffs if you knew how much effort went into making video games we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Hundred (sometimes thousands) of people are involved in the making of some of the big titles. Whole orchestras are used to create scores of music to be used in game. A football game might use well-known footballer for the motion capture of player movements. Artists to get developers ideas onto paper and create textures are used, the list is endless.

Next time your boyfriend completes a well-known game take a look at the credits at the end. You'd be forgien for mistaking it for the ending of a film.

ANd all those people need a wage!!!!

We worked it out if we were to emplya nother PART TIMER, just ONE, earning a reasonable wage, we would have to take an extra £1000 a week just to cover his wages and taxes...... Thats hard fucking work to take that extra ontop of what we already take.
K17STY

12th Jan 07 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

considering i dont have one it would be interesting to see you try
and its only illegal in some country's. So if its that bad then why are some places allowing it??
ssj_kakarot

quote:
Originally posted by K17STY
Jamie said "Its all about profit and how can you begrudge people making money?" and was saying how piracy is such a bad thing. i was pointing out that all piract is is profit and making money so how in turn can he begrudge that?

They at the end of the day arent overpricing their goods they are selling for enought to cover costs and make a small profit

so your telling me if you ever ran your own business you would only run it to break even and make a small profit i dont think so, you would run it to gain the higest profit thats possible.

now in the case of large companies its usually a board of directors that run the company who have to answer to share holders if the shareholders do not think they are making enough profit they replace the directors so yes again they need to make large profits for many reasons one being to save there own jobs.
Jamie Walby

quote:

WTF its illegal, THEY HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE EARNING ANY MONEY FROM SOMEONE ELSES HARD WORK.
K17STY

12th Jan 07 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
quote:
Originally posted by --Dave--

ANd all those people need a wage!!!!

We worked it out if we were to emplya nother PART TIMER, just ONE, earning a reasonable wage, we would have to take an extra £1000 a week just to cover his wages and taxes...... Thats hard fucking work to take that extra ontop of what we already take.

Yeah and i can see what your saying but i would still argue the point that if exactly what they needed for each game was worked out including a reasonable profit then the price would be greatly reduced
--Dave--
Banned

not forgetting games aren't made in just a few months

Oblivion started development just after Morrowind came out. What's that? 4 years?

I can imagine artists and programmers are on quite a decent yearly wage. Do the math.
ssj_kakarot

quote:
and its only illegal in some country's. So if its that bad then why are some places allowing it??

um in which country is it legal to sell pirate games lol.
Jamie Walby

12th Jan 07 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which brings us round to what SSJ is saying, the shareholders who have invested their money wouldnt be happy.
--Dave--
Banned

quote:

you are veering off the beaten road my friend. Proof you have no clue what you are talking about.
ssj_kakarot

wow you really dont get how business's work.
K17STY

12th Jan 07 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
quote:

um in which country is it legal to sell pirate games lol.

copies are legal in canada
rustyarchs

12th Jan 07 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if theres a will theres a way same with everything, cheap imported cigs/drink! people downloading music/films, some will take a chance and save money others wont

il stick to paying 3/4 quid a disk as tbh id rather spend it on something i wont get bored of in a week but thats just my opinion
Jamie Walby

12th Jan 07 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will also say, games in our country cost more because of all the taxes.

If you knew how many fricking taxes i paid for my business youd cry, I do. Though it goes towards housing foreigners and paying out benefits to people that CBA to work. So my hard work and money goes to a good cause.
ssj_kakarot

12th Jan 07 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

um piracy isnt legal in canada lol your gegtting confused it was ruled that downloading "music" from p2p services was legal, however uploading copyrighted files is not.

this was only done because the cost of piracy in the country was so small so they dont have to bother with the paper work.

copying and selling games/software is still illegal.
--Dave--
Banned

12th Jan 07 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rustyarchs

12th Jan 07 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
I will also say, games in our country cost more because of all the taxes.

If you knew how many fricking taxes i paid for my business youd cry, I do. Though it goes towards housing foreigners and paying out benefits to people that CBA to work. So my hard work and money goes to a good cause.

bloody tax grrr

giving prisoners holidays and day trips,making sure junkies get there supplement and giving alcholics there brew money are just some of the things that piss me off
Jamie Walby

12th Jan 07 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And thats just 1/32 of the list
ssj_kakarot

12th Jan 07 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ho ho ho has been fun lol better go to go to work now chowwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Jamie Walby

12th Jan 07 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Laters