corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Laptops

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Laptops
mwg

User status: Offline
20th Nov 06 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been looking at the Sony Vaio C1S & the FE31M so far.

I dont know much about computers so any other recommendations? Want DVD/CD writer, wireless capability, widescreen. Want something thats not going to date quickly. Mainly be using it for playing music, internet, games and maybe CAD.

Dont baffle me with jargon
flash22

20th Nov 06 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sony noteboooks are utter carp (about the same quality as there incar stuff)

i have helped buy/setup 2 notebooks in the last week both in different price ranges

Toshiba A120 -161 £994 2.16ghz core 2 duo, 1 gb ddr2 ram and 120gb hdd. very well built and very easy to use comes with xp-pro with free upgrade to vista when it comes out

Acer aspire 5633 £560 1.66ghz core 2 duo, 1 gb ram and a 120gb hdd xp mediacentre agian with a free upgrade vista when it comes out

both notebooks have built in wireless A/B/G and dual layer dvd-r

vfm it has to be the acer. built quality is the best in price range the screen is nice and sharp too. only down side so far is you have to burn you own backup/windows discs (app pre installed)

The toshiba is very nice has a better keyboard layout and a bigger touchpad the screen is on a par with the acer batt life is around 2 hours 40mins on a full charge (with dvd use)
John

20th Nov 06 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you sure they didn't just have core duo?

If the acer only had core duo and not core 2 duo it wasn't that good a deal.

I wouldn't say sony stuff was that bad either.

Considering the name, the last time I checked the prices weren't that much more than an equivalent less well known brand.
flash22

20th Nov 06 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The acer is core 2 duo been out 6-7 weeks now. The toshiba has been out for 4-5 weeks

http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page4.do?sp=page3&dau22.oid=19864&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=17&CountryISOCtxParam=UK&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&ctx3=-1&ctx4=United+Kingdom&crc=4135006823

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/jsp/productPage.do?service=UK&PRODUCT_ID=121988&toshibaShop=true

Had to sent back 3 sony notebooks as the 1st one was falling apart after 6 months use the second one had hardware issues, faulty keyboard and the 3rd had 12 dead pixels with in a month and a unknow hardware issue
(these were company laptops looked after and not abused)

A sony a friend of mind had fell 4-6 inches off a coffee table it cracked the case broke the dvd drive and smashed the lcd it was replaced with another toshiba

edit. dabs do the acer for £532 + delivery the acer we brought yesturday come from comet as it was needed in a hurry for £560 what was price matched to there website and haggled the price down (normally £599 instore)

[Edited on 20-11-2006 by flash22]

[Edited on 20-11-2006 by flash22]
_Allan_

20th Nov 06 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO Sony Vaio laptops are overpriced and more difficult to source parts for.

New Poll