corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Laptops

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Laptops
Marc

User status: Offline
30th Oct 06 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Generally how long have peoples laptops lasted before they said no more?!
PaulW

30th Oct 06 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my bro has my old toshiba one, been through thick & thin, countless times ive had to salvage bits from ebay to repair it, but it was cheap so its worth it...

was originally bought in 1999

the dell one i have now, got it last year, and its no way near as robust as the toshiba, even tho it looks like it! screen sometimes messes up when opening/closing the lid, the mouse buttons below the touchpad are getting crappy, right click is near non existent... and its much much harder to service than the old toshiba was!
Cosmo

30th Oct 06 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive had two laptops, both have lasted for just over 2 years (just outside their warranty period :mad
Dan B

30th Oct 06 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you break laptops a bit too easily, then look at getting the Panasonic Toughbook, as tested on The Gadget Show tonight!

They played tennis with it for an hour, put it in the back of a pick-up truck then drove it at speed over very bumpy fields for a bit, dunked it in water (with the presenter holding it), then blew it up with explosives & fuel, and it STILL powered up and booted into Windows!
PhilC

30th Oct 06 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had an IBM for a while. Thinkpad T22. Stood up to a fair bit of abuse. Will comment on my HP when I've tested it a bit more. So far so good... about 6 weeks!
Marc

31st Oct 06 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had mine 3 years now and the usb ports went faulty ofter 6 months. Now the AC power keeps going off and you have to wiggle it to get it to go back to ac power. Battery is pretty much dead too.

3 years seem about right then?!
Marc

23rd Nov 06 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally broke! Wiggling doesn't work anymore and it got a bit smokey the other week Now I can't use it at all as it won't switch back to AC
PaulW

23rd Nov 06 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get yourself a 2.5" hdd usb cabby for cheap off ebuyer & put the harddrive from the laptop in that & plug it into another pc if there is anythin u need from it.

tbf laptops are getting silly cheap now anyway so its easy enough to get a new one!

also some places might be able to repair it, but tbf if the solder has gone on the motherboard it wont fix for long until it breaks off again...
Marc

23rd Nov 06 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing on it, I learnt not to bother as I'd be formatting it shortly!

New Poll