corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Anyone know anythiing about Vista activation?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone know anythiing about Vista activation?
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
18th Nov 06 at 12:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have copies of RTM Vista Enterprise edition that became available to us at work.

We havent as yet been given any VLK's, iv installed it on my PC but when i try online activation i get DNS Error name does not exist.

Now from what i gather Vista installs with a Generic PID number then looks for a KMS server that you can run if running more than 25 clients, this can issue an activation automatically.

We do not have a kms server so from what I have read you need a MAK key.

Anyone any ideas where you go to get a mak key, and/or where you input it in Vista itself?
John

18th Nov 06 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From what I have read so far VLK 2.0 you authenticate with a VLK server on your end then that checks back with microsoft.

Its a lot of hassle for nothing though.

Loads of places with thousands of computers aren't very happy.

Having a quick read what I described is exactly what happens and the server your end is KMS as you said.

Nothing on Microsoft about VLK 2.0?
Steve
Premium Member

18th Nov 06 at 17:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes but lots of places wont have a kms server, i mean what about home users ??

there is another way where you get a MAK code somehow from an MS site but i cant gather where or how you do this
John

18th Nov 06 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Google doesn't show much for MAK, never heard of it.
Steve
Premium Member

18th Nov 06 at 18:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think ms are trying to hard to make it impossible for people to pirate the software, but at the end of the day thats never going to happen so they should just stick with what they are already using, instead of inconviniencing the main source of income from windows..corporate offices etc
John

18th Nov 06 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yip, obviously they have done more research than me but I think it is a waste of resources.

Nobody says the people who pirate windows would buy a copy if they couldn't get it free.

Somebody will always crack it as well.
Rob_Quads

18th Nov 06 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John you hit the nail on the head. Only a small small minority would actually pay for the stuff they have pirated. Instead if they have to they would use the free alternative.

In a weird kind of way piracy has helped a lot of them become the standard as lots of people have learnt the technology (be it windows OSs, Adobe stuff) and then gone on to get jobs doing that sort of stuff (where companies have to buy the software).

To sort the licensening pretty sure you have to sort out a KMS server or wait till you get your proper VLK

At work there is lots of debate as to how quickly we support Vista. At the moment it looks like its going to be another year before we start to

Steve
Premium Member

18th Nov 06 at 20:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but there is no where to enter a vlk???
John

18th Nov 06 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VLK 1 you just enter when you are installing xp and it tells it not to activate.

I assume you still use a vlk cd key with vista then it authenticates with a server anyway?
Steve
Premium Member

18th Nov 06 at 20:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it doesnt ask for VLK on install and i cant find anywhere to enter one
Rob_Quads

18th Nov 06 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm strange - the copy I have asks you for the key as the very first setup of install
Steve
Premium Member

18th Nov 06 at 20:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we have copies on the select license, with xp that meant we could install it anywhere with one key, like an open version
John

19th Nov 06 at 02:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The xp you are talking about is just xp pro corporate.

If you were never asked for a key the answer file with the key must have already been on the disc.

It's called winnt.sif and it's on the I386 folder.

I'm not up-to-date on vista unattended installs but I assume its similar.
Steve
Premium Member

19th Nov 06 at 10:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right its gone to 0 days to activation now and i am given the option to change a PID number, although its still working as normal

il wait til we get our vlks through

[Edited on 19-11-2006 by Steve]
Teknologikal

2nd Dec 06 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are ways around this now but I'm not going to bother yet tbh.
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Dec 06 at 10:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv got a key anyway now
Teknologikal

2nd Dec 06 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How you getting on with it?

I'm weary because I use 2 M-Audio soundcards and they are not supported as yet...pointless even trying to install Vista until that is ironed out.

New Poll