corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Sharepoint Wookies

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sharepoint Wookies
Bart

User status: Offline
   2nd Oct 06 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi there,
We’re about to purchase Window SBS 2003, which will be our first server.
We have approx 30 PCs connecting to it, and already have our own local Intranet.
Im very excited about the benefits the server will bring to us (particurly the manageability and the Sharepoint services),
I was wondering what peoples opinions/comments on Sharepoint would be.

Im quite new to SBS and I have just installed a trial at home and exploring as much as possible.
Im wondering if Sharepoint could be a new tool for the business, collaborating our projects together.
We currently have a folder database of drawings, and within those folders are schematics, GAs, word documents, excel documents, accounts documents all relevant to that particular job.
Im wondering if Sharepoint might be a more useful tool as a type of GUI approach, we often submit documents between departments etc Im assuming when documents are submitted users can get notifications etc.

Any info on Sharepoint in particular is greatly appreciated.

Adam

[Edited on 02-10-2006 by Bart]
James

2nd Oct 06 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The good thing about Sharepoint is that its easy for any user to use without any technical knowledge. It's very intuitive.

Once the administrator has set up the relevant document lists, calendars etc.

Users can easily go in and upload new documents and other new items.
Bart

2nd Oct 06 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds good.
As the administrator, could i setup a number of calenders, and dictate which user can read/see which calender?

for e.g. i would like to create a central calender for the management to indicate when their employees have holiday booked off.
I would ofcourse only want the managers and myself to see this.
James

2nd Oct 06 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
sounds good.
As the administrator, could i setup a number of calenders, and dictate which user can read/see which calender?

for e.g. i would like to create a central calender for the management to indicate when their employees have holiday booked off.
I would ofcourse only want the managers and myself to see this.

Yes you can set user permissions at list level, so users could only see certain document lists etc.....

In the new Sharepoint (Think it's 2007), you can set user permissions at item level so you could let certain users see certain documents in a document list but not others

New Poll