corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1.8 SRI

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.8 SRI
richb2000

User status: Offline
8th Sep 06 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi im new so hello. I have curently got an astra 1.6 SXI and i want a change so decided to go for a 1.8 sri corsa. What are peoples views on these wat should i look out for also some pics would be great thanks
Marc

8th Sep 06 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Respectable performance in my opinion. Could do a lot worse.
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

8th Sep 06 at 16:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're good cars, well built, nice engines. Handling isn't that great though. Would recommend getting better suspension on it.

Corsa C Z20Let

Black Sleeper Turbo Project
Steve
Premium Member

8th Sep 06 at 16:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your after if for out and out performance dont bother, but if your after some thing cheap to insure, and comfortable and nippy then its not bad
richb2000

8th Sep 06 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was after somethin quite nippy my astra seems quite slow now
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

8th Sep 06 at 16:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll be loads quicker than the astra

Corsa C Z20Let

Robin
Premium Member

8th Sep 06 at 16:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it'll be nippier than the ashtray.
welshdude

8th Sep 06 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got an astra coupe with the same engine. Performance from the 1.8 engine is decent.

However, both of my brothers have got corsa C's and when ever I have to move one of them I always think I made the right choice with the Astra.

The steering in the corsa is just to light after getting use to the heavy steering of the coupe.

Just my 2 pence worth
Steve
Premium Member

8th Sep 06 at 16:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hate cars with ultra light steering, i remember my mate who has a focus got in mine and said the steering felt heavy, even though its power steering, iv never been a fan of power steering, always liked to feel what the cars doing, so like it when power steering isnt too prominent
Robin
Premium Member

8th Sep 06 at 16:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i find that my mums SRi (facelift) has better steering feel than my Elegance (pre facelift)

i agree though, it is far too light, it makes the car unstable at speed, and very scary on B roads
PainZ

8th Sep 06 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine is for sale soon !

Pics in garage

I have enjoyed it and has been a cracking car.
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

8th Sep 06 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my 1.8 sri has been great. Far better than I expected anyway, it was the girfriends choice as she drives it more than me.

performance is good, nice and torquey from 2k revs to 6k but dies after that. gearboxes are good and handling is great for a standard car, the 2004> models are a massive amount better to drive as well. as people have said the steering is a bit light and can catch you out if you arent concentrating but overall theres no major downside to the car.

reliable, fun, comfortable very cheap to insure and pretty nippy, will give a saxo vts or pug 106 gti a bit of hassle but thats as good as the performance gets.

oh, and the brakes are absolutely fantastic, nearly as good as my 4pots.
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

8th Sep 06 at 17:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but...non powersteering cars have lighter steering when your travelling on the motorway, whereas power steering cars stay the same at whatever speed

Corsa C Z20Let

Ryk

8th Sep 06 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mines ace, as quick as a Type R but looks like a 1.2!
I can't describe how much fun I have in it!
Love it to bits
Steve
Premium Member

8th Sep 06 at 17:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quick as a type R fpmsl
_Allan_

8th Sep 06 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say it's more precise than light. It's predictable to me anyway. I'd prefer it lighter to feel what the wheels are up to. That's my personal opinion but am used to riding bikes and prefer the lighter touch to change direction

Wet driving is a differnet matter and takes a little more concentration. In 2 1/2 years of driving mine I can honestly say it's never thrown up an unpredicable issue when driving.

_Allan_

8th Sep 06 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ryk
Mines ace, as quick as a Type R but looks like a 1.2!

I wouldn't go that far m8 but I have caught one or two out and about but they soon pass on a longer straight.

Different class of car to compare to m8 and you can't tell me anything will beat a type-r?
Steve
Premium Member

8th Sep 06 at 17:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hate type Rs but theres no way a corsa 1.8 sri is even close
Dave A

8th Sep 06 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wont beat a CTR, ever.

but how about a 106 gti with a cone filter? apparently these are as quick as a type r
Steve
Premium Member

8th Sep 06 at 17:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes as proven down a strip, although mine had a bit more than a cone filter (ps i would never fit a cone filter to any car)
Steve
Premium Member

8th Sep 06 at 17:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

either way its still more believable a 106gti is as quick as a ctr than a corsa sri.

Dave A

8th Sep 06 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a bit off topic but hey,

theres a few people on here that rave on about how quick the 106/vts is when mildly tuned and that they are as quick as CTR's etc...

recently I was in a mates toyota corrola t-sport. it has 180bhp (standard) and is almost as quick as a CTR and the engine is virtually the same (exept its a 1.8) but uses a very similar vtec system. It is far quicker than both a mildly tuned vts and 106 and we have had lots of fun showing up 172's as well.

why do 106/ vts drivers think they are the fastest bestest things on the road? and no, they dont come close to CTR's

the closest match I have had against a CTR is in a 2 litre corsa. and the 2 litre corsa is far quicker than a 106/vts so the figures dont add up to me.

rant over
Dave A

8th Sep 06 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and a 1.6 on throttle bodies is the bestest of them all
Ryk

8th Sep 06 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with Dave! Enjoyed the rant!
Steve
Premium Member

8th Sep 06 at 17:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a 2 litre corsa is similar to a vts/gti

std vts's can pull 14.9 1/4's

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1.8 SRI 23 database queries in 0.0164120 seconds