corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Parcel Shelf

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Parcel Shelf
vx.racing

User status: Offline
19th Jul 06 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would a standard parcel shelf in a corsa b be able to cope with a Fli 12" 1000w Sub? If i cut out a hole in the shelf and screwed it in would there be alot of problems? Too heavy? Too many vibrations? Or would it be ok?
Planty02

19th Jul 06 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would say it would be too heavy, but you can get MDF shelves to replace the flimsy standard one, alterniteavly you could screw a piece of MDF to the bottom of the shelf to strenthen it
duffman

19th Jul 06 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wud defo be too heavy
vx.racing

19th Jul 06 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was thinking of re-inforcing the shelf with some mdf. Or like you said replacing it altogether with an mdf shelf. Is it difficult to make an mdf shelf yourself as i wouldn't mind having a go. What sort of size mdf would i be needing, between 12mm-18mm? Anyone else think the standard shelf would be ok for the sub? Thanks for your help Planty02.
Planty02

19th Jul 06 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would use 18mm MDF cos of the vibration. You could try to make your own if you're handy with wood work but you might struggle with rounding/smoothing the lip (so the boot lid doesnt catch the shelf when closing) and getting the sizes/angles right for the hinges.

[Edited on 19-07-2006 by Planty02]
vx.racing

19th Jul 06 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there anywhere that gives you a fairly good template to work from when making one? Or is it best just to use the standard shelf as a guide? Cheers.
Planty02

19th Jul 06 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cant think of anywhere mate, just use the original shelf as a template and keep trying it in the car until its perfect
vx.racing

19th Jul 06 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got my sheet of mdf anyway so will get cracking on it now. Will let you know how it goes, cheers for the help.

[Edited on 19-07-2006 by vx.racing]
Planty02

19th Jul 06 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no worries mate, good luck with it

[Edited on 19-07-2006 by Planty02]

New Poll