corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Laser eye surgery thread

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Laser eye surgery thread
Jules

User status: Offline
27th Jun 06 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty G
Is the Lasik treatment the new one that hasn't been available that long? Supposed to be alot less risk with it if thats the one I'm thinking of

Yeah I think so but I'm pretty certain that Lasik is more risky than Epi-Lasik

Basiclly with EPi-Lasik a lotion is put onto the eye surface which softens the top layer, this is then moved around the eye and exposes the pupil for it's laser treatment, with Lasik a layer is cut across to the top of your pupil almost all the way across but not quite, this layer is then folded back (like a flap) exposing the pupil, laser treatment is done and the flap is folded back onto the pupil, the natural suction of the eye holds it strongly in place and as time goes by it heals to the eye as it once was.
Sounds gruesome and looks gruesome (there are vids of it on the 'net) but you don't feel it in the slightest!
Ry_B
Banned

27th Jun 06 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good little review there, glad it all went well
Ojc

27th Jun 06 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd love it done, but my eyes haven't got anyworse in 10 years of having glasses and I only replace my glasses every 3 years or so.
Ry_B
Banned

27th Jun 06 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
I'd love it done, but my eyes haven't got anyworse in 10 years of having glasses and I only replace my glasses every 3 years or so.

Must be annoying having to wear glasses though??
Jules

27th Jun 06 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ollie seriously, if wearing glasses is annoying then go for it m8, yes it's expensive but it's so cool being able to wake up in the middle of the night and see something without fumbling around for my glasses, being able to go out wearing decent sunglasses and being able to see things!
It rocks!
--Dave--
Banned

27th Jun 06 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you ever wear contact lenses mate? If so what is the difference in vision like? Can you see better now after the treatment than you could with your glasses?
JadeM
Premium Member

27th Jun 06 at 12:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good shiiit...glad it went well buddy
Jules

27th Jun 06 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --Dave--
did you ever wear contact lenses mate? If so what is the difference in vision like? Can you see better now after the treatment than you could with your glasses?

Tried contacts and could never get on with them - they constantly irritated my eyes.
I can see better now then before when I wore my glasses, the eye adapts to glasses in time and as result of constantly wearing glasses the eye gets lazy, hense the need for new glasses every couple of years (for me anyway)
After my aftercare test today the surgeon has rated my vision as a perfect 20/20 which is the first time in my life it has ever been that good - with or without glasses!

Jade: Cheers
Ojc

27th Jun 06 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am short sighted, but my prescription is 0.75 left eye 1.25 right eye so my eyesight isn't that bad, only really need to wear them when I want to watch films at cinema or when I'm driving.
Jules

27th Jun 06 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not to bad then, mine were a touch over 5 each eye......
Dean_W

27th Jun 06 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My eyes are -3.50 and -3.25.

I sore glasses for a couple of years and then got contact lenses. they don't irritate, and i would like to go for laser surgery.

It's just how they do it that puts me off!
3CorsaMeal

27th Jun 06 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nismo will do mine with his green laser, Jase will supply tea for the recovery period
--Dave--
Banned

27th Jun 06 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Not to bad then, mine were a touch over 5 each eye......

this was my next question that's quite blind, I should know because I'm 4.75 in each eye can't see shoot without corrective eyewear

I also have a pretty bad astigmatism though and I was told that laser surgery might not be an option for me. There have probably been plenty of developments since I was told this though.
Jules

27th Jun 06 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dean - i was put off when I saw a vid of it, but trust me the most you feel is the drops hitting your eyelids etc
It irritates for a couple of hours afterwards but that is well worth it for having perfect eyesight!

3CM - if I'd of known that I could of saved myself a few quid!

---Dave--- - Yeah it sucks being that blind doesn't it! But now I can see things perfectly - it's so cool!
Not sure about astigmatism but I'm pretty sure they can correct that, give them a ring and ask.

[Edited on 27-06-2006 by Jules]
--Dave--
Banned

27th Jun 06 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jules

one more question, and sorry if you've already mentioned this. How long does the whole procedure take?
Jules

27th Jun 06 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was out of the place after about an hour, but was under the laser for about 40-50 seconds per eye, infact it took them longer to prepare each eye than to do the laser work itself.
I was in the surgery for about 15-20 mins all in, spent 20 mins in the waiting room after then had a consultation with the surgeon after that then it was off home.

Doesn't take too long at all considering it changes the rest of your life!

[Edited on 27-06-2006 by Jules]
Paul_J

27th Jun 06 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

scary.

I wore glasses when I was really young - only because my eyes went cross eyed (lazy eye) - but eye patches and shit and my eye grew strong like pop eye and is now ok. I stopped wearing glasses when I was about 9/10 years old.

Scared my vision will get crap though as education / profession I spend a lot of time infront of computer screens.

Laser eye shit sounds scary - I bet your eye falls out within 10 years.
--Dave--
Banned

27th Jun 06 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul

I also heard you had to get it redone after 5/10 years. Not sure if this is true or not, judging by what you've been saying I would guess not
Ojc

27th Jun 06 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Nismo will do mine with his green laser, Jase will supply tea for the recovery period

I played with the laser
3CorsaMeal

27th Jun 06 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal

I played with the laser

u2u sent
CorsAsh

27th Jun 06 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tim had laser eye surgery a while back:

Jules

27th Jun 06 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome, I hope to harness the power of laser eye surgery to be able to burn through walls and doors ála Superman and eventually to be able to see through peoples clothes!

Oh, no, it doesn't need to be redone in 5/10 years, the inside rear part of your eye is reshaped with the laser which moves the focal point to wherever it needs to be in order for you to have perfect vision - thus no need for further surgery.
rustyarchs

27th Jun 06 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do your eyes continue to get worse as they would if you still had glases, so like in a few years you will nedd weak ones again?

Just wondering the long term side of it.

Also do they numb your eye? drops or injection? is it hard not moving it or is it numb there so you cant move it?
Jules

27th Jun 06 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They numb they eye with eye drops, your eye still feels exactly the same, you can move it but you can't feel it when they touch it - it's strange!
You are under the laser for less than a minute per eye so keeping it still isn't a problem, but if you do move it then the laser is locked onto the centre of your eye anyway so it'll move if you move.

Over the course of time everyones eye muscles become weaker with old age, and when people get to about 45-50 that's when they will probably need reading glasses, but these are only the cheapy ones you can buy from Boots etc and don't require you to see an optician etc, this is just a part of ife and affects the majoirty of people and laser surgery won't prevent this (as it's the muscle getting weak not a problem inside the eye).
Tim
Site Administrator

27th Jun 06 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup I'm 2 months on now. I had Lasek with Wavefront etc (as my corneas were too thin to Lasik). Slightly longer recovery time but same great results.

I've now had my vision checked at 20/15 (better than 20/20) and tis still getting better. Still have a slight astigmatism due to 'haze' but that should disappear after about another month they predict.

Glad it worked out for you mate It's awesome isn't it!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Laser eye surgery thread 22 database queries in 0.1903188 seconds