corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Got 4 Vectra VXR's at work now............................

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Got 4 Vectra VXR's at work now............................
Paul_J

User status: Offline
21st Jun 06 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not been on a track with a long enough straight to hit that sort of speed though I can't really see what the clocks say. Plus if you were, I think you'd be more worried about braking hard for the next corner than to take a quick snap of the speedo.

Unless of course your talking about a straight runway thing
Paul_J

21st Jun 06 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just checked a pic of a vr6 clock - that pic in your sig is showing a indicated 150ish mph.

No way on hell you'd hit that on any track in a vr6 before a bend.

Just gets my back up a bit that Members of the Police can do this - then pull someone like me doing 101.4 mph on a completely clear motorway - not a car in site other than a unmarked, with perfect conditions (both actually commented on and veried by the police statement for court).

Then I get pulled and get a court summons, 6 points (could've been ban) and a fine. As well as a mighty lecture on how unsafe and dangerous my driving was and how I could've of killed a innocent family etc.

My car's far more capable of 100 mph - I've never tested it on a road to find out (like your sig - as I believe that is unsafe, i.e. blow outs etc)

Every part of my car is uprated, from wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes etc - it's far more stable at those speeds than your average shitter.

The only thing that was dangerous was a possible blow out situation as there was no traffic to swerve infront of me - and imo some car with dodgy retreads or just worn out budget tyres under inflated is more likely to have a blow out than mine on expensive tyres made for going quick and checked regularily.

Autobahn doesn't see nice audi / bmw's having blow outs just because they've gone over 100 mph, neither did my cars tyres explode when I was hitting 115 - 120 mph before the corner on donnington and castle combe.

I wouldn't of minded being lectured if I was trying to go quick (foot flat on the floor) doing 140 mph ish.

but my foot was just on the throttle and the car was just staying steedy at 100 mph.

I have slowed down on roads since, infact I won't go over about 75-80 on a motorway now in fear of unmarked police cars.

Just a bit cheeky that people who will lecture about how unsafe it is to do break the speed and slap you with a fine and points - will go ahead and take their golf vr6 to 150 mph.
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Jun 06 at 22:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He would have got shafted for that on public roads as its not in the line of duty. Even if it is you still have to justify going that fast.

Law is the law. I think it stinks as well for many of the reason you've outlined, but I also ignore it on occasion hence why I've seen the inside of a court room as well and currently have some token memorys on the paperwork.
Paul_J

21st Jun 06 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would be doubtful that could even be hit on a runway day. Didn't Fifth gear try to break 200 mph in a esprite v8 on a runway, souped it up with turbos etc and still could only hit 170 ish.

plus once again would you really be sitting there with a camera taking the pic? knowing you have to do some hefty braking v.v.soon.
Paul_J

21st Jun 06 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not only irresponsable doing the speed on public motorways - but also v.unsafe taking a pic of it at that speed!
DarkBahamut

21st Jun 06 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im sure a remember some months back, last year, a cop got done doing some silly speed well into triple digits on a clear motorway at night and claimed he was 'testing' the cars capabilies, and he got off scott free. The law is the law but im sure cops get away with a hell of alot.
Jules S
Premium Member

21st Jun 06 at 22:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul, with respect...you are likely to see that on most airstrip tracks over here. Which is why brunters is popular with the vmax mob.

As for the original post...wrx STI's aint all that anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if a vectra vxr held its own.
Paul_J

21st Jun 06 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DarkBahamut
Im sure a remember some months back, last year, a cop got done doing some silly speed well into triple digits on a clear motorway at night and claimed he was 'testing' the cars capabilies, and he got off scott free. The law is the law but im sure cops get away with a hell of alot.

Testing a police cars abilities. not their personal car.
Jules S
Premium Member

21st Jun 06 at 22:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Very true...discussed on load of boards
Jules S
Premium Member

21st Jun 06 at 22:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

But whilst off duty IIRC
Paul_J

21st Jun 06 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules S
quote:

But whilst off duty IIRC

Yeh I know - It wasn't the 159 mph that alarmed me, it was the fact he was blasting it down residential 30 limits at nearly 3 times the speed limit.
Jules S
Premium Member

21st Jun 06 at 22:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Its all about ability. I'm sure if Jackie Stewart can take 20 seconds off James Mays lap time with a day of advice, I'm quite sure a trained police driver in a 250bhp car who doesn't buy his own wing mirrors can quite keep with a pissed up thief in a car they're not used to.

[Edited on 21-06-2006 by Ian]

I love this analogy....after all my mum could lap 20 seconds quicker than James May on her pushbike
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Jun 06 at 23:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Im sure a remember some months back, last year, a cop got done doing some silly speed well into triple digits on a clear motorway at night and claimed he was 'testing' the cars capabilies, and he got off scott free.
Mark Milton

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/4559173.stm
big eck

21st Jun 06 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Meat-Pie-SRI
quote:
Originally posted by RS6
any pics

Same colour scheme

I think he was talking about the VXR
Meat-Pie-SRI

22nd Jun 06 at 07:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
just checked a pic of a vr6 clock - that pic in your sig is showing a indicated 150ish mph.

Just gets my back up a bit that Members of the Police can do this - then pull someone like me doing 101.4 mph on a completely clear motorway - not a car in site other than a unmarked, with perfect conditions (both actually commented on and veried by the police statement for court).

Then I get pulled and get a court summons, 6 points (could've been ban) and a fine. As well as a mighty lecture on how unsafe and dangerous my driving was and how I could've of killed a innocent family etc.

My car's far more capable of 100 mph - I've never tested it on a road to find out (like your sig - as I believe that is unsafe, i.e. blow outs etc)

Every part of my car is uprated, from wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes etc - it's far more stable at those speeds than your average shitter.

The only thing that was dangerous was a possible blow out situation as there was no traffic to swerve infront of me - and imo some car with dodgy retreads or just worn out budget tyres under inflated is more likely to have a blow out than mine on expensive tyres made for going quick and checked regularily.

Autobahn doesn't see nice audi / bmw's having blow outs just because they've gone over 100 mph, neither did my cars tyres explode when I was hitting 115 - 120 mph before the corner on donnington and castle combe.

I wouldn't of minded being lectured if I was trying to go quick (foot flat on the floor) doing 140 mph ish.

but my foot was just on the throttle and the car was just staying steedy at 100 mph.

I have slowed down on roads since, infact I won't go over about 75-80 on a motorway now in fear of unmarked police cars.

Just a bit cheeky that people who will lecture about how unsafe it is to do break the speed and slap you with a fine and points - will go ahead and take their golf vr6 to 150 mph.

s/c vr6 on the nurenburg ring mate, 150 is nothing, ask more questions before you start lecturing! also before you mention the fact that there is no pic of the engine with the s/c in my garage, the car got hit up the arse about 2 weeks after getting it fitted, and about 4 days after getting back from the ring
Meat-Pie-SRI

22nd Jun 06 at 07:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J

s/c vr6 on the nurenburg ring mate, 150 is nothing on that straight, ask more questions before you start lecturing! Yes it probably wasn't a great idea, but in the circumstances, conditions, lack of other vehicles nearby i took the chance, hardly a focused picture that i spent ages taking is it? also before you mention the fact that there is no pic of the engine with the s/c in my garage, the car got hit up the arse about 2 weeks after getting it fitted, and about 4 days after getting back from the ring
Sandsy

22nd Jun 06 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old man has bought a new vectra vxr from thurlby, very nice car indeed
Toby
Premium Member

22nd Jun 06 at 10:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

he was saw doing 120 down a sliproad iirc

[Edited on 22-06-2006 by CorsaB4ever]
SetH

22nd Jun 06 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules S
Paul, with respect...you are likely to see that on most airstrip tracks over here. Which is why brunters is popular with the vmax mob.

As for the original post...wrx STI's aint all that anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if a vectra vxr held its own.

Aint all that in what respect please, elaborate and justify your comment instead of just looking like a fool. thank you.
Toby
Premium Member

22nd Jun 06 at 10:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it true that police cars can reverse up to 60mph??
SetH

22nd Jun 06 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
There is'nt much difference in 0-60 0-100 50-120 than a Scooby FFS? And have any of you morons driven a new Vectra VXR? Probably not in which case begs the question, how the hell do you know it handles so badly? We are'nt talking about a boggo standard 1.6 16v Vectra LS here, its top of the range, a marked improvement on its predecessor, ok its never going to handle as well as a Scooby because its not 4x4 but I'm damm sure it would give one a decent run for its money.

Not sure on the newage times, i expect them to be similar but a classic STi will do low 4`s 0-60 and low 11`s 0-100, Now i cant see a heavy 250bhp executive FWD saloon coming anywhere near that. As for point to point pace, well doest even bear thinking about for the vectra IMO.

Best comparison i can do personally is that i used to have a Veccy GSi, with courtenay CS15+ package, dastek, etc and i thought it was fairly rapid with decent handling. But after driving 2 300+ bhp imprezas i reckon that a standard uk turbo impreza would have anhiliated me down twisties vs my veccy GSi.

Im reasonably confident that an 06 STi and Vectra VXR would be the same story.

As already said, 'vauxhall trousers' fella, i remember how passionately you defended the Astra VXR as well
Cybermonkey

22nd Jun 06 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it true you came from corsa-crazy.co.uk?
Cybermonkey

22nd Jun 06 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH

Not sure on the newage times, i expect them to be similar but a classic STi will do low 4`s 0-60 and low 11`s 0-100

standard UK impreza sti doing low 4's 0-60 get fucked seth
RS6

22nd Jun 06 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RS6
any pics

Same colour scheme

I think he was talking about the VXR

agreed
Sooty
Banned

22nd Jun 06 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no way low 4's

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Got 4 Vectra VXR's at work now............................ 22 database queries in 0.0172491 seconds