corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Bandwidth Monitoring

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bandwidth Monitoring
James

User status: Offline
27th Feb 06 at 00:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have a 2mb broadband connection in our flat and its being split across 7 computers.

Lately its been like dial up speeds and I think it's because my housemate is constantly downloading videos etc 24/7.

Is there anyway I can see which computers are using most bandwidth? Ive had a look on the router software and theres nothing on there.

cheers
Mase
Premium Member

27th Feb 06 at 00:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd be interested in this sort of software too, because apparently we are falling foul of Tiscali's FUP, so i want to check they have got their sums right .....

Mase
Dan B

27th Feb 06 at 00:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If there's nothing on the router that monitors it, then there's not really an easy way, no......the "easiest" way would be to put a server in between the router and your internal network, set all of the 7 computers with static NAT'd IP addresses, then have the server monitor each IP's traffic. Not the simplest things to set up, though...

Check if your router supports SNMP......if it does, look into either MRTG or PRTG, both are decent monitoring programs that let you monitor traffic (amongst other things) on network devices......that would likely tell you straight away who was using what. Although, to use that method, how exactly is everyone connected up on the network? Draw something simple in MSPaint, or similar......easier to say the best way to monitor, then.
Russ

27th Feb 06 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just block his ports
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

27th Feb 06 at 07:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan B
Check if your router supports SNMP......if it does, look into either MRTG or PRTG, both are decent monitoring programs that let you monitor traffic (amongst other things) on network devices......that would likely tell you straight away who was using what. Although, to use that method, how exactly is everyone connected up on the network? Draw something simple in MSPaint, or similar......easier to say the best way to monitor, then.

This is a fab way but as said not easy to look at it from an internal IP basis, instead you will know that your router has passed x amount of bandwidth through y amount of time.

Also note that MRTG and stuff based one that (using rrdtool) output 5 minute averages which dont always pick up them spikes in traffic.
Cybermonkey

27th Feb 06 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just disconnect the fucker and tell him to stop being a bandwidth whore
JJ

27th Feb 06 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey
just disconnect the fucker and tell him to stop being a bandwidth whore

Skylined

27th Feb 06 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.download.com/Bandwidth-Monitor-Pro/3000-2085_4-10338480.html?tag=lst-0-3
Tim
Site Administrator

27th Feb 06 at 20:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That will only monitor one PC so pretty pointless unless you can sneak it onto his.

Are you running a switched network or just using a basic hub? If it's just a hub you could use a sniffer to analyse network traffic...
James

27th Feb 06 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just using an ADSL wireless router
Tim
Site Administrator

27th Feb 06 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What model?
Russ

27th Feb 06 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what does he download? torrents? see what ports his torrent program uses and block them.....

New Poll