corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » bugger me thats quick!!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author bugger me thats quick!!
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
23rd Feb 05 at 00:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave17
ahh tim your right
Did you ever doubt that?
Kenni

User status: Offline
23rd Feb 05 at 00:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by aritchie
quote:
Originally posted by Kenni
quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
kenni, USB 2 has a bandwidth of about 12mb/sec, and its very unlikely you will get speeds over the net like that for a while to come, unless you live in japan or HK Windows XP has a system of allocating power bandwidth to each USB socket, so if you have 3 USB sockets, XP MAY split this down to 40%-30%-30%, but it is possible to edit this through the registry. I wouldnt worry too much to be honest, since a bandwidth of even 5 mb/sec is plenty for the net.

Well thats wot i heard, cus the modem was free, so it cant be that good.

I on a 512 connection, fastest i downloaded a 40-50k/s.......is that average..

Sounds about right to me, I always test from downloading from microsoft.com I used to get 70 tops on 512 with an average similar to yours

Why dont i get those comedy speeds with my 512k
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
23rd Feb 05 at 00:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i can download at 1mb/sec on a 256kbps line. I once got 2.5mb/sec for a 300mb file, over the same connection
You sure the file isn't compressed, or stalling and then windows is doing dodgy maths on the local file size getting loads bigger, when in fact it was growing all the time but windows stopped counting the time?

Text will appear to go this fast but then it compresses very well - so a 10Mb text file will appear to arrive rocket fast, the connection is no quicker, just more cunning.
Dom

23rd Feb 05 at 00:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave17
wel ive got NTL 750kbs service, and the maximum according to my bandwitch monitor i can download is bout 93kbs. bit of a con really

same here although us 750k peeps are getting upgraded to 2mb soon for FREE as well might i add only problem is that there enforcing a propper cap (well its 60% that they will over the current loose 1gb a day cap) - which could be a bastard, but still 2mb for nout
Cybermonkey

23rd Feb 05 at 01:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
i can download at 1mb/sec on a 256kbps line. I once got 2.5mb/sec for a 300mb file, over the same connection
You sure the file isn't compressed, or stalling and then windows is doing dodgy maths on the local file size getting loads bigger, when in fact it was growing all the time but windows stopped counting the time?

Text will appear to go this fast but then it compresses very well - so a 10Mb text file will appear to arrive rocket fast, the connection is no quicker, just more cunning.

no, it does it with every type of file, zips, exe's, mpg's, mp3's, you name it, it destroys it. and there is no stalling, click on the download link, it starts, it zooms straight through, and arrives on my desktop 2 secs later from temp folder.
Ren

23rd Feb 05 at 01:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah. If you've already viewed it, it stores it in the temp folder. When you try to download the file properly, the computer checks the temp folder first, adn downloads it from there. So in reality, it could look like you've downloaded a 100mb file in under a second, when really its just been transfered from the Temporary Internet Folder.
Cybermonkey

23rd Feb 05 at 02:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no Ren, my temp folder is emtpied every other day, and i never re-download stuff that big, its always kept on HDD. So its quite simply blisteringly fast
IntaCepta

23rd Feb 05 at 03:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very strange,
i think someone's messed up and you've actually got a higher rate bandwidth.

but even having an 8mbps connection won't yeild those results! so i'm not sure.

have you done a speed test from adslguide?

you should be getting around 30kBps max.
and acording to your download you're getting 1250KBps which is about 10Mbps, which is crazy!!!!

What ever you do, don't phone the ISP, they've probably given you an 8mbps connection or with a messed up contention.

[Edited on 23-02-2005 by IntaCepta]
Cybermonkey

23rd Feb 05 at 04:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

largest connection available on telstra bigpond (my ISP) is 1500kbps, and i am on 256kbps. here are results from adslguide, bearing in mind that i am in auz and it is hosted in uk

Direction

Actual Speed

True Speed (estimated)
Downstream 399 Kbps (49.9 KB/sec) 430 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 99 Kbps (12.4 KB/sec) 106 Kbps (inc. overheads)

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » bugger me thats quick!! 23 database queries in 0.0116169 seconds