corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » slight engine problem but really confused, please help?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author slight engine problem but really confused, please help?
jay c

User status: Offline
26th Feb 06 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a 1.2 LS corsa, and it drives lovely, however when you stop for say half an hour and try to start it again, it sometimes doesn't start. Also the orange light- on the left below the fuel gauge - came on earlier and the car cut out. Left it for a bit and it started again. The fan also doesn't kick in at all, even though the car seems really hot. There is a little bit of white gunk in the oil filler cap, which i'm guessing could be head gasket? Would that make it do that? Any ideas? thx
Basscrazy

26th Feb 06 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

correct me if im wrong but the fan kicks in when thermostat is too hot if that was broken or not connected it would cause this not to kick in and sounds like need new head gasket but will probably from overheating a lot
jay c

26th Feb 06 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Basscrazy
correct me if im wrong but the fan kicks in when thermostat is too hot if that was broken or not connected it would cause this not to kick in and sounds like need new head gasket but will probably from overheating a lot

yeh I think the thermostat broken but how do you know if its not connected? thx mate
Basscrazy

26th Feb 06 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest mate not too sure i had this problem very briefly when other engine was put in and popped into my local garage cost me a tenner for them to do a new one as they had a spare

if you go to a independant garage ie not vauxhall im sure it wont cost hardly anything if it is that
jay c

26th Feb 06 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
to be honest mate not too sure i had this problem very briefly when other engine was put in and popped into my local garage cost me a tenner for them to do a new one as they had a spare

if you go to a independant garage ie not vauxhall im sure it wont cost hardly anything if it is that

yeh I might just get my mate to do the thermostat actualy. thx again mate
Basscrazy

26th Feb 06 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good luck
jay c

26th Feb 06 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
good luck

lol thx
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

26th Feb 06 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

you are wrong

the fan switches by the fan switch in the radiator, not the thermostat. the thermostat opens and allows water to pass through the radiator when it gets to a certain temperature.
Basscrazy

26th Feb 06 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oooooh gutted lol i did accept the fact i could be wrong lol i just had the thermostat change and something sorted presumed it was that orginally maybe they sorted the switch thing as well
jay c

26th Feb 06 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa808
quote:

you are wrong

lol thx mate. Would the head gasket create symptoms like i described do you know? Or have any ideas as to what it is? thx
the fan switches by the fan switch in the radiator, not the thermostat. the thermostat opens and allows water to pass through the radiator when it gets to a certain temperature.
Dave A

26th Feb 06 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

white gunk could be condensation, do a lot of short journeys?

to test the fan switch leave the car running and let it get hot. run it up to 105 degrees, if the fan doesnt cut in then its probably that. to test the fan itself before buying a new switch just unplug the plug going to the fan and put a wire accross the 2 terminals. (with ignition on) if the fan spins, change the switch.
jay c

26th Feb 06 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa808
white gunk could be condensation, do a lot of short journeys?

to test the fan switch leave the car running and let it get hot. run it up to 105 degrees, if the fan doesnt cut in then its probably that. to test the fan itself before buying a new switch just unplug the plug going to the fan and put a wire accross the 2 terminals. (with ignition on) if the fan spins, change the switch.

well not really that short. I've driven it about 60 miles twice and it was fine so im confused. could the head gasket make car cut out? thx for you r help mate
Dave A

26th Feb 06 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

head gasket could cause lots of problems, but if its cutting out then i would expect it to be running very badly and getting hot very quickly, also lots of white smoke from the exhaust.
jay c

26th Feb 06 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

o rite kl. thx mate
jay c

26th Feb 06 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So would you think it was electrics?

New Poll