corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Exhaust knocking

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Exhaust knocking
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Feb 06 at 18:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was driving home from work this evening and I could hear a bit of a strange noise from the left rear corner of my car. I had some problems with that brake a while back, but decided it couldn't be that as it was still making the noise when I was stopped at junctions.
I got home and left the engine running, and when I got out the noise was still there. I had a bit of a fiddle, and basically found the noise stopped when I pushed upwards on the backbox.
I know it can be common on lowered Corsa's to hit the rear axle, but mine is still standard height, with the standard exhaust. By the way, its a 1.6 sport, here is a pic so you can see how standard it is (just alloys):

Any ideas what it could be? As it is dark at the moment, so I can't see!
Ryan_G1

12th Feb 06 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exhaust rubbers?
tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

12th Feb 06 at 19:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan_G1
Exhaust rubbers?

What, just stretched?
The thing is it is an almost constant noise, and I thought the rubbers would mean the noise just gets more over time, not just suddenly there, if you get what I mean?
haigy1

12th Feb 06 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the exhaust is loose sumwhere either centre on over the axle coz it did the same on my sport.

jack it up n check the u clips on the bak box.it might be loos n with the weight in the car itl rattle.n the road bumps itl wear loose over time.try it n let me no how u get on
tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

12th Feb 06 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, I am going to have a look tomorrow, before uni. The problem is I am living away from home, so have no tools, axle stands or anything, lectures from 10 til 4 tomorrow and then work straight from uni!
Oh yea, and Haigy1, thanks mate!

[Edited on 12-02-2006 by tom_simes]
flash22

12th Feb 06 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

common thing with corsa either the exhaust rubbers are nackerd about £1-2 each or the exhaust has twisted and the loop over the back axle is banging on it its eiter the back box clamp or the cat to mid section clamp take it to you local exhaust palce no more than £10 to sort it out
tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

12th Feb 06 at 23:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, thanks mate, I will have a look in the morning and then probably take it down to KwikFit to sort.
Thanks guys
Adam.Morgan

13th Feb 06 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ask him a knock knock joke?
tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

14th Feb 06 at 14:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh hilarious Adam.
Just got back, and found that the exhaust backbox is hitting on one of the hanging mounts on the car. Basically, it seems as though the backbox has slipped backwards, and has now started hitting the mount, even though it definitely hasn't moved off the centre section, as the rust shows, and the clamp is still tight, so I don't really know!
So, the guy at Kwikfit just put a rubber cap over the mount, so that I can at least get the car home on Friday so I can look at the whole system properly. And it didn't cost me a penny!

[Edited on 14-02-2006 by tom_simes]

New Poll