corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » ECU light on, speedo stops working and won't idle...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ECU light on, speedo stops working and won't idle...
Jules

User status: Offline
   22nd Jan 06 at 01:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

('94 GSi C16XE)
An eventful journey home from work, everything was going fine, 70mph along the duel carriageway when the ECU light comes on (and stays on), car still drives fine and doesn't seem any different - the only thing I notice is that the speedo has now stopped working (:boggle
So I carry on my way being a bit cautious incase it all goes pear shaped, have to stop at a few junctions and no problem.
Goto Tescos for a bit of shopping (so car sits for about 30 mins), get in, starts up fine, ECU light has gone off, speedo still not working, first junction I get to it stalls, start it up again and we're away (ECU light is back on), get it home and it wants to stall at every junctions so I have to do a bit of nifty toe/heel to keep it running when I want to slow down or stop.
I get home and park it up, leave it a few hours, go out and start it and it starts fine, idles fine and the ECU light stays off - I've had a few to drink so didn't want to take it anywhere but will go for a drive in it later to see what it's doing this time.

Any ideas?
I'm guessing that the speedo stopping is just one hell of a co-incidence as I believe that they are cable driven rather then using an electronic sensor - can anyone confirm this?
But the more worrying part is obviously the refusal of it to idle (sometimes) and the ECU light being on, I'll do a paperclip test tomorrow but wondered if anyone has had this before and what it could be?

Fire away!
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

User status: Online
22nd Jan 06 at 02:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I remeber something about if the speedo doesn't work, the car doesn't run correctly, as it picks up something through the same sensor the speedo does? I believe this is right.
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Jan 06 at 04:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a 94 - cable driven - starts at 10mph?

Sounds like the cable has snapped. ECU light and poor running are directly related to this.
jamesw

22nd Jan 06 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will be as said above bacause th speedo isnt working, ecu picks up a feed to check the speed, if it cant it will keep cutting out. I had this problem when i fitted my digidash as the wire that should have been between the dash and ecu wasnt there. Did paperclip test gave me loads of different codes even took it to a garage and they didnt have a clue what was up with it
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

22nd Jan 06 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the ecu requires a speed signal from the vehicle speed sensor in the back of the clocks. the ecu uses the vss when engine is coasting to determine the correct position of the idle control valve. the vss sends a pulse signal to the ecu, depending on how fast ypu are going, i.e faster = more pulses per second. the vss is driven directly by the speedo mechanism, so any fluctuations in the reading or a faulty cable can cause a faulty pulse signal to be sent to the ecu, so if the ecu has no signal or a faulty signal, it wont idle correctly.
Jules

22nd Jan 06 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOL! Thanks Corsa808 - very comprehensive!
Ian - Yep it's a 94 and the speedo starts at 10mph so am I right to assume that it's cable driven?
If this is the case then I'm looking at replacing the cable to solve it, but if this doesn't work is there an outside possibility that it might be the internals of the speedo clock itself?
Just so I know what to expect.

Cheers for the help people!
snottysnowy1

22nd Jan 06 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have exactly the same proble,, not been able to sort it for six months now. Been to four garages and they couldn't work out what the problem was and have finally booked it in at vauxhall to see if they can fix it.
jamesw

22nd Jan 06 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same as me mate, had it to a few places and coming up with about 4 different error codes, they couldnt say exactly what it was, ran this wire from dash to ECU and all problems fixed

New Poll