corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » all gsi people

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author all gsi people
dragoncorsa

User status: Offline
28th Nov 04 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hey i was wondering if any of u can help me out?

does any one know if all gsi had the same speedo clocks or not?

my problem is my corsa was orginally a 1.2 8v but i then put in a gsi engine but since then the engine light keeps coming on then the car will cut out, i have been to vauxhall and they said its cutting out because i dont have the correct speedo clocks
so i asked them if i give them my gsi engine number can they find out what speedo clocks was init, they said no but they could do if they had the chassie number from which the gsi came out of, but i dont have that
and this is why im asking are all the speedos the same in the gsi?
according to vauxhall they have done 6 types of speedo for the corsa b model and that y im pulling my hair out over this! lol
broster
Premium Member

28th Nov 04 at 09:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

load of poo, the clocks will be find, do they work?
dragoncorsa

28th Nov 04 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no im afraid its true they showed me every thin to do with the clocks the engine does not know what speed its doing without the rev counter on the correct speedo
and since i dont have a rev counter my engine really does not know what speed its goin at
so sos mate ya wrong i wish u were rite
broster
Premium Member

28th Nov 04 at 10:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no mate thats a load of poo, seriously, as long as the speedo is working then its all ok, you dont need a rev counter, the ecu will know what speed the engine is going at, take it to a decent garage hwo kno what the yare on about, whats the fault code says wrong/?
dragoncorsa

28th Nov 04 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and will the fault code tell them exactly whats wrong? what type of place does this? cossvaux?
Visionz

28th Nov 04 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

read the fault codes yourself.
Cybermonkey

28th Nov 04 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dragoncorsa
no im afraid its true they showed me every thin to do with the clocks the engine does not know what speed its doing without the rev counter on the correct speedo
and since i dont have a rev counter my engine really does not know what speed its goin at
so sos mate ya wrong i wish u were rite

FPMSL, as broster says, ignore them bunch of monkeys. The rev counter is told what to display, not the other way around! The car doesnt even need clocks since the ECU knows exactly what speed the car is doing from the crank speed etc etc
ainsley_brader

28th Nov 04 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the ECU does sometimes pick up a speed sensor from the back of the clocks (if they are cable driven) , but not an rpm signal that comes from crank/cam sensors!

Hence why lots of people have problems when the speedo cable snaps!!

Edited to say the ecu cant determine vehicle speed from engine rpm because it doesnt know what gear you are in!

[Edited on 28-11-2004 by ainsley_brader]
Cybermonkey

28th Nov 04 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you sure there is a sensor from cable driven clocks? I always thought that they were just connected to the crank to simply detrmine engine speed.
ainsley_brader

28th Nov 04 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes there is 100% a sensor for speed in the clocks if i recall its a blue wire coming from the clocks through the immobiliser and off to the ecu!!
ainsley_brader

28th Nov 04 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

However I dont know what this has to do with the lads problem! Did vaux plug it into tech 2? Is the speedo connected?
ainsley_brader

28th Nov 04 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More details of the precise problem are required i feel. Does it cut out while driving or on start up. Changing gear, idling etc etc
broster
Premium Member

28th Nov 04 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes cable driven clocks need to work or the engine wount run well.
Big Col

28th Nov 04 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as has been mentioned the ECU gets a speed signal from the speedo clocks. If this is missing the engine stalls when you pull up to junctions.

It happened to me when my speedo cable broke.

I advise reading the ECU fault code.
Siberia

29th Nov 04 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

c16xe will not idle properly if the speedo is not working.

i have a 1.2 8v car which i tranplanted a c16xe into.... however i had changed my clock for one with a rev counter ages before i changed the engine.... i think there out of a 1.4 8v/16v not to sure.....

last week my speedo cable snaped and the car randomly cuted out when you pushed in the clutch.... i fitted a new speedo cable and its all perfect again....

also having no speedo cable will cause an ECU light to appear. if you check the fault code i can garuntee you that it will point to a speedo cable fault.

hope this helps....

[Edited on 29-11-2004 by Siberia]

New Poll