corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Car difficult to get in gear occasionally - Clutch?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car difficult to get in gear occasionally - Clutch?
VegasPhil
Premium Member

User status: Offline
26th Nov 05 at 02:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Normally happens after motorway driving. Sometimes the car is a pig to get into 1st 2nd and 3rd gear. I keep having to adjust the clutch under the bonnet to get it to behave. Once a couple of weeks ago it wouldn't go into 1st at all. Nightmare!

Tried backing off the clutch cable under the bonnet. That works as a temporay soloution but it will soon return after a few days. Forced it into 3rd earlier, cos I got pissed off with it made a bit of a crunch. Had also been known to Grind Reverse and not go in, with the clutch fully down.
Clutch Slips aswell...

Is the clutch fooked?

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
mikehiow

26th Nov 05 at 04:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say you've got a fray in your clutch cable and its just stretching and stretching, it'll go soon I reckon.

Had this problem on my old calibra, wasnt fun driving home in 3rd gear (luckily it went whilst in gear mind you) when theres atleast 3-4 sharp corners, one being a blind one into a road only wide enough for one car

I'd stick a new clutch cable in asap, it isn't a hard job. Just a pain to get the bracket holding it onto the bulkhead off (well I've had that problem with 3 vauxhalls so far, but not sure about corsas)

[Edited on 26-11-2005 by mikehiow]
John

26th Nov 05 at 06:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mikehiow
I'd say you've got a fray in your clutch cable and its just stretching and stretching, it'll go soon I reckon.

Had this problem on my old calibra, wasnt fun driving home in 3rd gear (luckily it went whilst in gear mind you) when theres atleast 3-4 sharp corners, one being a blind one into a road only wide enough for one car

I'd stick a new clutch cable in asap, it isn't a hard job. Just a pain to get the bracket holding it onto the bulkhead off (well I've had that problem with 3 vauxhalls so far, but not sure about corsas)

[Edited on 26-11-2005 by mikehiow]

You don't need a cluth cable to change gear.
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

26th Nov 05 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check the gear linkage as well.
cunningham

26th Nov 05 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye mines usually crunches when put in reverse to
mikehiow

26th Nov 05 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
You don't need a cluth cable to change gear.

Didn't want to risk just matching speeds the best I could to grind it into gear, I'm sure your aware that method can be a bit hit and miss.

Could always stop, get out, pull the clutch lever, select a gear, but then how do you get going again with no clutch inside the car
Mase
Premium Member

26th Nov 05 at 14:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine crunched when it went into reverse and sometimes 1st. Again it was due to the clutch cable fraying.

Mase
mikehiow

26th Nov 05 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best bet is to wedge the clutch release lever on the gearbox open as far as it goes, get a mate to hold it, and try putting it in gear.

be careful he doesn't let go of it though
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

28th Nov 05 at 16:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive had lots of problems getting into first and second, this is down to the Corsa C's great gear linkage.
frog_southampton

11th Feb 06 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a 1.4 16v sport and have the same problem - it only seems to happen when been driving around town in traffic.

i can only get into gear when engine is off

I dont know where the gear linkage or clutch adjustment is?

can anyone help me?

everythin is so tight under the bonnet

New Poll