corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » What could be wrong?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What could be wrong?
Phil McGlassup

User status: Offline
19th Oct 05 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have noticed that on my Corsa diesel the steering is heavier when turning right than when turning left I've also found that there is a light groaning noise coming from the nearside front wheel area when turning right. Could these two things be connected and if so what should I look at first? It does sound a bit like a wheel bearing type of noise. It has manual steering and has only done 56k.
The front tyres are at the correct pressure so is there anything I can do to make the steering lighter apart from changing to power steering?

TIA
Phil.
scottyevo

19th Oct 05 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does sound like its connected. jack up ya car, grab ya wheel and give it a good shake top to bottom and side to side. if theres any movement ya bearings gone.
Phil McGlassup

19th Oct 05 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have just done that and I have to say that there is no play whatsoever in the wheel bearings, track rod ends etc on both sides The steering can't be that bad as I can grab one roadwheel and go from lock to lock with no great resistance. I know someone who had a 1.2 Corsa and the manual steering on that was quite light even when parking. I know mine's a diesel but wouldn't expect it to be this much heavier!!

Is there anything else I can do?

Phil.
scottc1088

19th Oct 05 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spring broken?
Phil McGlassup

19th Oct 05 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only thing I can find is that when the wheels are turned from lock to lock , the struts creak / groan a little. Should they be lubricated? Could the wheel bearing be too tight?

Phil.
Rob_Corsa

19th Oct 05 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the struts can creak on turning. Could possibly be a cv joint but you might as well take it to a garage and ask them to look at it. You dont have to let them do the work, just say you cant afford it for a few weeks and do the work yourself(after they have told you the diagnosis).

New Poll