corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.4 16v knock sensor

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.4 16v knock sensor
j7 gkk

User status: Offline
11th Jul 05 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has anybody have this go wrong with their car? its causing my car to slight misfire and a lack of power throughout the rev range especially after abot 5000 rpm, and its drinking fuel, is this what it should do?
Will94

11th Jul 05 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the knock sensor just reads the octane rating of the fuel and adjusts the ignition timing to match, so it may cause a missfire but wouldnt affect fuel economy i dont think.
More likely to be bad plugs/leads and even more likely to be a dodgy coolant temp sensor, as this can cause it to run rich causing mis-firing and naff MPG.
Change these, leaving the leads till last since they'll probly b the most and i reckon they'll sort it 4 ya
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

11th Jul 05 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is management light coming on? and when?

got 3 spare knock sensors for your car here. £10 each
Dave A

11th Jul 05 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Will94
Well the knock sensor just reads the octane rating of the fuel and adjusts the ignition timing to match, so it may cause a missfire but wouldnt affect fuel economy i dont think.
More likely to be bad plugs/leads and even more likely to be a dodgy coolant temp sensor, as this can cause it to run rich causing mis-firing and naff MPG.
Change these, leaving the leads till last since they'll probly b the most and i reckon they'll sort it 4 ya

what
Dave A

11th Jul 05 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i could write an essay on knock sensors and how they work, but i doubt it would help you much.

how do you know its the knock sensor? fault code 16?
Will94

11th Jul 05 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok sorry i got it wrong, but its to do with adjusting the timing to run correct for the octane rating of the fuel that its running on... correct?
Not far off
Dave A

11th Jul 05 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it is a crystal based sensopr in the back of the block betwwen cylinders 3&4. senses 'pre ignition' or 'knock' on the engine. it allows the engine to run as close to the 'knock' point as possible, therefore allowing it to run very close to the optimum timing for efficiency and performance.

if there is a fault with a knock sensor the ecu will retard timing by 4 degrees to prevent 'pre ignition' so that the engine runs safetly, although this can have an adverse effect on fuel economy and performance

ah bollox, you got me started now
MR2Mike

11th Jul 05 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

corsa808 is right, that octane shit before is bollox
Will94

11th Jul 05 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only going on what i heard!
and besides, pre-ignition or knock can be caused by a change in the octane of fuel ACTUALLY mike
Dave A

12th Jul 05 at 07:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Will94
only going on what i heard!
and besides, pre-ignition or knock can be caused by a change in the octane of fuel ACTUALLY mike

yes, a difference in octane will change the point of pre ignition, but doesnt directly have an affect on the operation of the knock sensor
Cybermonkey

12th Jul 05 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the knock sensor is also very simple on its design, meaning its not very likely that it is faulty.
As said above, i suspect it is something else like CTS.
Cybermonkey

12th Jul 05 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in fact scrub that, it could be a huge number of things. Fuel filter/pump? injection problem?
j7 gkk

13th Jul 05 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanx for all your replies, ive put on the sensor and so far so good, although its still drinking fuel!!! corsa808 i wish i knew that you had the sensor before i ordered it it was £47 something from vauxhall!!! i am still having problems withit running warm though the temp gauge is up and down lol, bought new plugs and leads so i will give that a go, thanx again for the replies

New Poll