corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Motion pics...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Motion pics...
CorsAsh

User status: Offline
30th May 05 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What shutter speed (or general settings for that matter) would be recommended. Obviously ISO 400 would make the car appear to be standing still, but even using 100 or 200 I was only gettin a slight blur on wheels:

That was when they were at full pelt down the straight, were they just not goin fast enough or was I too far away etc?
dave17

30th May 05 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think u have to pan with the camera
CorsAsh

30th May 05 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was panning like a prospector in the middle of a gold rush.
vibrio
Banned

30th May 05 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

read the guide at the top mofu
R Lee

30th May 05 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"the red car and the blue car had a race...
the der der dumm dee dumm stuff his face..."
Ian
Site Administrator

30th May 05 at 23:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't worry about ISO, just set at 100 and forget it.

Unless its very dark or you need lots of shutter speed you don't need to go higher.

At ISO 100, pick shutter priority mode and a shutter speed that will cater for your effect. If you want blurred wheels go for slower than 1/100th anywhere down to 1/15th ish depending how brave you are that you can track the car for 1/15th of a second and not blur the car as well as the background.

Longer focal lengths it becomes harder to pan anyway so if its critical speed up to 50th-80th for safety shots that will probably come out OK.

Experimentation will help but don't expect consistency, you might get sharp cars at 1/15th and blurred ones at 1/100th, just depends how steady your hand is on that shot, amount of wheel blur depends on car speed etc. etc., many factors.

This should work OK, the only time it will not is if there's no enough light even for slow shutter like that, and your aperture indicator will normally flash to tell you thats what you have but its not wide enough, ONLY THEN up the ISO and you'll get more sensitivity in low light. Higher ISO adds grain and should only be used if you anticipate or experience problems. Otherwise ISO 100!

[Edited on 31-05-2005 by Ian]
Nismo

31st May 05 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about ISO 50 if you have the option?
vibrio
Banned

31st May 05 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use ISO to bump up aperture. set to a shutter speed depending on speed and focal length (the faster you have to pan the faster the shutter speed you use unless your ace).

I try and keep the fstop at 16
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Jun 05 at 00:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
What about ISO 50 if you have the option?
Yeah no reason why not, should help noise levels yet further. Just see if you can stay within the 1/100th - 1/15th range and if so ISO is OK.
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Jun 05 at 00:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
I try and keep the fstop at 16
Which is fine if you have a noiseless body like 20D. Anything older does not have this luxury.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Motion pics... 23 database queries in 0.0115221 seconds