corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » MOT testers wont MOT my 20xe as a pre cat car

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MOT testers wont MOT my 20xe as a pre cat car
Ant

User status: Offline
9th May 05 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a 97 sport with a 20xe in it, from a 90 cali i think. None of my local testers will mot it as a 2.0 16v corsa they just say because it is manufactured after 1992 it need's to have a cat no argument
5chaap2k

9th May 05 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get some hard evidence and rub it in their face..

or barrow a cat from someone for the mot only

BeArDy

9th May 05 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there in the wrong mate
as they should MOT test the engine as a '90 cally if u can prove the engines year they have to mate its the law
3CorsaMeal

9th May 05 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

explain that the engine meets all the emission requirements that its supposed to

tell them a car doesn't give off emissions, but the engine does, and that engine meets the requirements when its in other shells.

would they even run the emissions test to see outcome?
BeArDy

9th May 05 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ask Jill off here she found it online where it says they take the MOT Emission's of the year of the engine not the car
Ant

9th May 05 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no took it one place and they said this car has no cat... then phoned about 5 other places and they have all told me to fook off, problem is if you start arguing with them they wll just find some other reason to fail it.
BeArDy

9th May 05 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.bobmckay.co.uk/emission.html

One important issue must be cleared up straight away. There is no requirement for a catalytic converter to be fitted to any vehicle, regardless of its age.

An older engine fitted to a vehicle will be tested to the age of the engine (evidence needed). A newer engine fitted to an older car will be tested to the age of the car i.e whichever is the oldest.

[Edited on 09-05-2005 by BeArDy]
3CorsaMeal

9th May 05 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good site beardy

From 1st August 2001 a simplified emissions check was introduced and this will be carried out on vehicles prior to doing a full "CAT" test. If the vehicle meets the requirements during this BETs (basic emission test) then it passes. There will be no need to measure the engine temperature using the analyser probe but the vehicle must be at normal running temperature. However, engine rpm will still be measured. If the vehicle fails the BET then the full "CAT" test is applied.
Ant

9th May 05 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

found some one to do it!!! and at 9am sunday morning!!!! Polixe are never going to believe me if i get pulled on they way!!!
James R

9th May 05 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IT's in section 7.3, exhaust and emissions, basically the car's emissions is tested to the age of the car or engine, which ever is older.
Also if they do a BETs testa nd it fails (which it would) then they have ot test a 2L corsa, which isn't on the computer so reverts to the simple emissions test.
Ant

9th May 05 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

twat just didnt want to know just started going blah blah bla after 93 the law sats it must have CAT I knew i was right, Interestingly I phoned up vx this afternoon and spoke to masterfit who do MOT, the guy said im not sure to be honest but I will check the book, he phoned back said it would be fine.

As i said even if i had gone into the station (first place)and quoted the book he would have failed it for somethinl like 'your paint is to red'
X 60RSA

9th May 05 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its proving its a pre 92 car, think you need the log book from the donor car to defineatly prove its pre 92 at some garages. Look under the car, just above the sump in the middle there will be a date stamped eg: 08 - 09 - 90

This is when the block was made, but it maybe never went in the car as a complete engine until after 92, they dont know so tell them to look at that if push comes to shuv.

[Edited on 09-05-2005 by X 60RSA]
Ant

9th May 05 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest i thought telling weather it chould have a cat or not is simple.

c20xe - should have a cat
20xe - no cat
X 60RSA

9th May 05 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Umm, me 2............cant you take it somewhere else, dont you have rumours around where you live about garages pushing a car through u thought didnt stand a chance!

I got mine through an MOT and i shud have a cat but i haven't. He said if he didnt know my old man he would have wanted the log book from the donor car to defineatly prove its age.

Take it somewhere else u know will pass it.
Ant

9th May 05 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have found somewhere that is going to do it for me at the weekend!! I normaly pay £50 for an mot but it will always pass if you now what i mean!!! this time thought id have a proper 1
J100RSA

9th May 05 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can u proove its a 1990 engine?? if not u don't have a leg to stand on go's on year of car u must be able to produce some kind of documetation like a reg doc
hitman2k

9th May 05 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was told when i took mine for a mot car requires a cat its compulsesory (typo) mine didnt cat but still passed me
Fad

9th May 05 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well to be fair any decent garrage who does MOTs will know the diff between a Red top and an Eotec so they will know that its definately know its a pre aug 92 engine.Otherwise i would be worried leaving my car with them for anything.

I found a real decent garrage near me they basically took one at the car and the bloke told me it would be fine as the engine was made from 86-92 so you wont be needing a CAT he even rang the ministry for me as I had a query concerning flush door handles.

If i was you get it sorted then go back to the garrage who mugged you off and tell them they are pricks

[Edited on 09-05-2005 by Fad]
Steve Smith

9th May 05 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there will be a date stamp in the centre of the block just above the sump on the front of the engine. (front = exhaust side.)
Joff

10th May 05 at 07:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Complain to VOSA.
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/carlgvowners/mottesting/appealingagainstanmottestdecision.htm

New Poll