corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Part 2 of the xe problem!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Part 2 of the xe problem!!
X 60RSA

User status: Offline
18th Apr 05 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I now can get the engine started with just 1 turn of the key, bonus!

I've put on a new:

Coolant temp sensor
Crank shaft sensor
Dizzy and arm

BUT the engine is thudding as its ticking over, very lumpy indeed!

I'll be doing a clip test with the engine on tomorrow but does anyone else know what could cause such a shoot tick over, its lumpy and bumpy with a fair bit of engine movement........

I'll check all the lead connections again tomorrow, see if they are sparking.....

Would the idle valve cause a lumpy tick over, throttle position sensor, air flow meter (other 1 arrives thursday).......

Thanks fella's!
James R

18th Apr 05 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what heppens if you blip the throttle? Sounds like it's not running on all cyl at idle if it's as lumpy as you say.
Mistamist

18th Apr 05 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

run the engine from cold for about 5-10 seconds, then feel each exhauust manifold branch, if any of them are colder than the others then that cylinder isnt firing. then work backwards electrically from that cylinder, also try a compression test to see if your getting any compression on that cylinder.
X 60RSA

18th Apr 05 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like a good plan chaps, i'll try it tomorrow when i get in from work, it doesn't seem to smoke like it was, just a really shite tick over. Just left with a baffeling alarm by tomorrow i hope that keeps blowing fuses left right and sensor, and i'm also left with a fried CAT1 alarm ECU, that aint gone be cheap!
X 60RSA

18th Apr 05 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by j1400
what heppens if you blip the throttle? Sounds like it's not running on all cyl at idle if it's as lumpy as you say.

Well i havent blipped the throttle as i didnt get it going until late tonight, plus the neighbours would moan! on tick over the exhaust was loud as hell! It was like a scooby on tick over but allot slower and alot louder........does sound spark related i suppose.....
James R

18th Apr 05 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had this on a XE I did a headgasket on due to warped head, full top end rebuild too.
started it up, was going like a bucking bronco.
Stopped it, wiggles ign leads.
Started lumpy, blip of throttle, cleared and pur'd like a kitten on idle.
then wne tou and put it off the clocks to make sure
X 60RSA

18th Apr 05 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think i tried the throttle, infact when i revved it it was fine, just on tick over was when it was thud thud thud!

Not 110% on that but i think i remember rightly........

I do have fault on the ECU though so i'll have to read them and see what comes up tomorrow, why is it all going wrong at once, i dont understand electrics!
James R

18th Apr 05 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think you might want to pull off the plug leads and reconnect them, fire it up before anything else.
X 60RSA

18th Apr 05 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by j1400
think you might want to pull off the plug leads and reconnect them, fire it up before anything else.

That will be my first attempt, when ive had it running before and pulled off leads its never made the noise it did today out the exhaust, but thats cars for you!

hopefully i'll be back tomorrow with it all sorted, well apart from the alarm!

Got another AFM coming tomorrow or thursday, could be that as well.....
James R

19th Apr 05 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any joy??
X 60RSA

19th Apr 05 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No joy fellas! Tried my old plugs, we are firing on all cylinders though! Still got the lumpy tick over and a strong smell of petrol plus black smoke, it really sounds shoot!

I'll get my new AFM tomorrow and Lambda sensor.........this could be causing a few problems??

[Edited on 19-04-2005 by X 60RSA]

New Poll