corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » broadband help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author broadband help
Pop

User status: Offline
16th Apr 05 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can anyone help me?!?!?!...

following on from my earlier thread - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=210679

I have now figured out that I need to run a dsl cable to my aol usb ADSL modem and to my netgear wireless router (transmittor box).

can you buy a dsl splitter? so I can run the 2 dsl cables I need from the little box connected to the phone line.

thanks
Tim
Dan B

16th Apr 05 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to clarify things here...

You have your main desktop machine, which has the USB-modem from AOL plugged into it, and then plugged into the phone line.

You have a wireless access-point plugged into the PC.

Your laptop is intended to speak to the wireless access-point in the PC, and go through that (and then the USB-modem) to the internet.

Correct me on any points wrong so far in the above...
Pop

16th Apr 05 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan B
Just to clarify things here...

You have your main desktop machine, which has the USB-modem from AOL plugged into it, and then plugged into the phone line.

You have a wireless access-point plugged into the PC.

Your laptop is intended to speak to the wireless access-point in the PC, and go through that (and then the USB-modem) to the internet.

Correct me on any points wrong so far in the above...

yeah everything you have said is spot on and explained a lot easier than I tried to do!

the only problem I have is that the wireless router needs to be plugged into the same dsl line as the aol modem but there is only one plug hole. can you get a dsl splitter? if not how can I do this?
James_DT

16th Apr 05 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why does the AOL modem need to be plugged in aswell? You could only use 1 of them to connect to the DSL at a time anyway.
Pop

16th Apr 05 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

new update ...

the aol modem is all unplugged and isn't needed. the router is all wired up but when I try to detect it on aol it says it's a dial up connection, even though the router modem is adsl.

aaaagggghhhh this is royally pissing me off
RCoughtrie

16th Apr 05 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

use expert tool to detect the device u want on aol set up
Nismo

16th Apr 05 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can you not browse to the routers internal status page and set that ip

http://192.168.0.1

you dont need to use the modem and the router just simply use the router and let it do everything.
diddon

16th Apr 05 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok mate try this, when I did mine like that had to disable the encryption on the router, now evrything works fine
Dan B

17th Apr 05 at 01:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not exactly sure how AOL work, but I'd imagine you'll need to change a few settings which won't auto-detect in the Netgear. You've not said which model of Netgear you've got, so the following will assume it's from the DG834 range (which seems to be the most widely-used), reply if it's not:

quote:
To change the defaults for this router, open the Web Configuration screen by entering the following address in your web browser:

By default, the Netgear's username is set to admin and the password would be password.

Click OK.

Once you are logged in click Basic Settings.

On this screen you should setup the router as follows:

Does Your Internet Connection Require A Login: Yes
Encapsulation: PPPoA (PPP over ATM)
Login: This should be the username provided by AOL.
Password: This should be the password provided by AOL.
Idle Timeout: 0
Internet IP Address: Get Dynamically from ISP

Once this information is entered scroll down and click Apply.

Now select ADSL Settings.

On this screen you should have the following settings:

Multiplexing Method: VC-BASED
VPI: 0
VCI: 38

Click Apply.

The settings should now be saved and the Router will establish the Internet connection after around one minute.
Dan B

17th Apr 05 at 01:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That should be the main computer online, now you need to set up wireless-connectivity for the laptop:

quote:
To start, open the Web Configuration screen by entering the following address in your Web browser:

Select Wireless Settings from the menu on the left-hand side.

On the Wireless Settings screen enter the following:

Name (SSID): The name by which you want your Wireless network to be known.

Region: Europe

Channel: Select a channel for your Wireless network.

Mode: Select a mode, dependant on the Wireless clients you will be using.

Ensure that Enable Wireless Access Point is ticked.

Remove the tick from Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID).

Scroll to the bottom of the Wireless Settings screen and click Apply.

You should be sure that the region you have selected is Europe and then click OK.

You are advised to use encryption to protect the security of your network and limit access to your connection.

NOTE: If you are configuring the Netgear through a Wireless connection then the link will be broken once you click Apply to save settings. You will need to apply the relevant settings to your Wireless client to establish the link again.

WEP

The Netgear DG 834 G allows the use of the WEP encryption protocol. If your Wireless clients do not support WPA then you should use WEP instead.

Select WEP (Wired Equivelant Privacy) from the Security Options list.

Click OK.

You may now select the level of encryption to be used on your Wireless network.

Under the heading WEP Key you can enter a Passphrase and then Generate four Hexidecimal keys. Select one of these to use with your Wireless clients, then click Apply to save the settings.

WPA-PSK

WPA offers better security for your Wireless network, and should be used in preference to WEP, where possible.

Select WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key) from the Security Options list.

Enter a Network Key to use with your Wireless clients and then click Apply to save your settings.

NOTE: If you are using OS X Panther (10.3) with WPA-PSK you will need to configure the Netgear to Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID) or the connection will fail.

You may now begin to configure your Wireless clients.
Dan B

17th Apr 05 at 01:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've not said which wireless-card you're using in the laptop, so can't provide instructions for that......but, basically, you need to mirror the settings you put into the Netgear router in the wireless-connectivity settings on your laptop. That should then be both machines online...

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » broadband help 22 database queries in 0.0097530 seconds