corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » spax rsx kit ne1 got?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author spax rsx kit ne1 got?
Davido

User status: Offline
4th Mar 05 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

opinions?
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

4th Mar 05 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is this the one with adjustable dampers? if so i have it and its quite good
TOMAS

5th Mar 05 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I ran the RSX kit for around 12 months with the fronts down at 60mm. Im still running the rear of the kit with new front coilovers. Good kit, suffered from rot though as all spax kits do, but a good blast with waxoil every 4-5 months keeps them good. Found the front springs a little too soft for my liking (and that was with a 1.2 16V engine!) My advice is that once you've set the rebound rate to what you like then leave them. Had issues with a noisey (banging) rear damper but spax replace it for me with 14 days.

As I say good kit but just make sure you protect it from the UK elements...
ikky

5th Mar 05 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i found it terrible, handled ok, but comfort was shocking, crashing all over the place. now have eibach springs, and handling is much better, sticks like glue, and comfort is perfect
Tom N

5th Mar 05 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have it and i have had no probs with it. wouldnt say it is crashy if you play around with the damping.
also i think it handles really well imo
TOMAS

5th Mar 05 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So youve replaced the coilover springs ikky with eibach ones? What poundage? Possible reasons for it being crashy is that you set the coilovers too low?
ikky

6th Mar 05 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry my bad, im thinking we were talking about shox and springs here
loo_goblin

6th Mar 05 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

havnt got them but plan on buying a set
antscorsa

6th Mar 05 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had them, they were shocking, soo hard on wot ever damping setting, woudlnt get them again.
ffls

7th Mar 05 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they are to hard because use only one spring (main)
If you use an helper spring and the a main spring, the Helper takes the changes in road surface. That's the reason why many coilovers use them.
For road, the best colis are KW vers 3, but 1 or 2 are very good

I have the same problem with Konis, and I'm thinking in changing the front spring wiht a coil conversion kit plus helper spring and main spring.
But the spring poundage? 80lbs Helper 250 280 lbs main spring?
TOMAS

7th Mar 05 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Helpers dont do jack.... This is FACT.

They are merely there to keep the spring located in the seats on full extension of the damper. They dont do anything. Thats why they are flat section - they are designed to be fully compressed under even a slight load. The 'main' spring takes the load.

Spax RSX uses a 256lb front spring with there Nova/Corsa kit - which I found too soft even with a 1.2 16V engine. The reason most people say they are hard is probably because they run them too low and in the bumpstops. The bumpstops on the front are polyurethene which I personally never like to use as a bumpstop - rubber is much better and softer.

Ask the boys whov'e took the helpers of there FK kits to aid tyre clearance and see if they say it made ANY difference to road holding - answer is no.
ffls

7th Mar 05 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TOMAS
Helpers dont do jack.... This is FACT.

They are merely there to keep the spring located in the seats on full extension of the damper. They dont do anything. Thats why they are flat section - they are designed to be fully compressed under even a slight load. The 'main' spring takes the load.

Spax RSX uses a 256lb front spring with there Nova/Corsa kit - which I found too soft even with a 1.2 16V engine. The reason most people say they are hard is probably because they run them too low and in the bumpstops. The bumpstops on the front are polyurethene which I personally never like to use as a bumpstop - rubber is much better and softer.

Ask the boys whov'e took the helpers of there FK kits to aid tyre clearance and see if they say it made ANY difference to road holding - answer is no.

So Tomas, what you are saying is that a 80 lbs helper spring doesn't do nothing?
I have to disagree with you. It depends of the poundage of course. would a 300lbs main spring to much for a 1.6XE in your opinion?
TOMAS

7th Mar 05 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As it will only be approx 1-2" long no it will VIRTUALLY do nothing. Once they get past a certain poundage they aint classed as helpers any more. Wouldnt say 300lb is too much for a 1.6xe for smooth road/track although maybe a 280lb would be a little more suitable. Im running 300lb springs on my Bilstein GrpA dampers and they work a treat for the 20XE lump, no helpers either - dont need them. Be carefull how high a poundage spring you go for if your using your Koni's as the front are ONLY rebound adjustable and they might not cope with such high poundage - might be a bit bouncy/twitchy.
ffls

7th Mar 05 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So 14" main spring lenght or 12" main plus 2" "auxiliary" spring lenght?

thanks
AdiSRI

7th Mar 05 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

correct TOMAS as soon as car touchs the ground helpewr is fully compressed anyways so doesnt do anything. I dsont like the fact rear ride height isnt adjustible on the spax so i wouldnt have them.
TOMAS

7th Mar 05 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have to calculate the closed and open lenth of the helper to work out which you need. My springs unseat when the car is jacked up but they NEVER unseat whilst being driven, even driven hard - Just not good for the MOT. Im running 10" 300lb springs.

Yes the rears are fixed but if you want 60mm its fine. Im swapping my 60mm'ers soon for some 30/40mm at the rear to make it even better - anybody got any eibach's they want to swap for my 60mm Spax ones?

New Poll