corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Wheel bearings

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wheel bearings
jonathanbrook

User status: Offline
22nd Feb 05 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last time I drove the car (which incidently(?) including going over a MASSIVE pothole on the wheel in question...) just as I was getting back home I heard a screeching/whinging/rumbling noise. Great, I thought, ANOTHER wheel bearing has failed (rear left failed about 6 weeks ago so quickly and so catastrophically it sheered through the stub axle within 2 miles!).

Got round to taking the wheel off today. It was even giving out a high pitch squealing whilst I was loosening the nuts before jacking it up. Anyway, I got the wheel off after jacking it up and span the brake disc round and the squealing/grating noise continued. Dont know if this is relevant but there also appeared to be much more orangey rust stuff on the disc than normal (its only been stood for a day). I had a prod and a poke around to see if I could feel any play in the disc but nothing.

Then I span the disc around again and the squealing had gone (although it is slightly more tense at some points around the spin indicating the disc may be warped).

Theres only two things I can think of
1) I did push this bit back quite hard...

Could it have been interfering with the back of the disc?

2) The circumference of the disc has loadsa corroded bits that are falling off. Could some of that have got trapped somewhere making the squeal?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Jon
jonathanbrook

22nd Feb 05 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How come whenever I ask a question which includes all the necessary information nobody responds?!

And when people just put "my car wont start. help" everyone takes the time and effort to ask them to explain the problem more thoroughly?
TOMAS

22nd Feb 05 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chill, I wouldnt worry about the rust. Make sure that the back dirt plate is clear of the disc so that will eliminate that. Are the pads binding on the disc? Also do the pads have plenty of meat left on them? If its none of those then it sounds like a bearing may be faililing, if you fit the wheel back on and jack it up does the wheel spin ok without any lumps grinding and also is there any play back and forth from the wheel?

A new bearing from Vaux is about £40 and fitting you'll prolly be looking at an hour-hour and half at a garage if you cant do it yourself which is prolly around £70-£100 all-in job.
a_j_mair

22nd Feb 05 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id def fine dout if its a bearing and get it changed asap, my rear wheel did the same and overtook me going down the road, could have been oh os much worse
jonathanbrook

23rd Feb 05 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the wheel back on. No screeching. The only thing i could feel was the effect of the warped brake disc. Which now explains my slightly below average fuel consumption...

Drove round for about 15 mins (and upto 60mph) and it was fine. Braked fine too.

What could it be/have been? My mate reckons that it might have been a build up of brake dust that stopped the piston retracting and the pads were screeching in the disc? (Well I think thats what he meant)...
Carr

23rd Feb 05 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possibly.
Didn't know that warped discs caused lower mpg is it because you have to push the engine more as it gets tenser? Maybe thats why min eis a bit soot at the minute as when i brake my steering wheel vibrates which i think means warped discs
TOMAS

24th Feb 05 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Warped discs then to scrub the pad on the warped section so that would be a similar effect to driving around with the brakes slightly on. Could have been a stone/grit in the pad - are there any score marks on the disc? Also is the a 'lip' on the edge of the disc as this (when pads are worn down) can cause a squeal? Anyhow its gone now so dont worry about it till it comes back LOL
Paula Corsa

24th Feb 05 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could have been a stifff or seized piston on the caliper. It happened to me on my Astra before.
jonathanbrook

25th Feb 05 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

@ Paula Corsa - think that was what my mate meant.

Couldnt see any marks on the disc or a noticeable lip. Like you say... just leave it till it comes back.

Cheers for the help guys. Hope its ok for my drive from Nottingham to Huddersfield tomorrow night!

New Poll