corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » will my car shift faster when its lowered?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author will my car shift faster when its lowered?
ikky

User status: Offline
8th Jan 05 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mothsgunav2
got blew off by 16 year old bloke

and hes saying how can he go quicker
Greg_M

8th Jan 05 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

through this whole post you have made no sence whatso ever.

did you know neon washer jets give you 10bhp more, stupid chav
Matt.H

8th Jan 05 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol...what a thread. makes very good reading while having your tea.

Total cock.
GLSi GUY

8th Jan 05 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LMAO @ this post. what a wanker
jr

8th Jan 05 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this has got to be someone off the site windng you lot up

as surely there isnt a real person whos that stupid
Mistamist

8th Jan 05 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If this dude is for real, i want to fist him into oblivion!
mav

8th Jan 05 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quality reading though..................
Skipz

8th Jan 05 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Absolutely Quality reading

mothsgunav2 take tims advice mate.. send back your license.. if your actually old enough to have one, and return back to school like a good Little boy and learn to spell....

Wank

[Edited on 08-01-2005 by h18_oab]
Dragon_R34

8th Jan 05 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOL glad i logged in now... funny ass sh*t
chris_uk
Premium Member

8th Jan 05 at 22:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

omg
Drew
Banned

8th Jan 05 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does pug nut have a new username now
R Lee

9th Jan 05 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just read it.

oh, i love CS
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Jan 05 at 01:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
so lets get back to the question why would a car be faster with 14s when it would just spin 16s grip and wen its lowered it doesnt lean back and grips better is that right?
No, its not about traction, its about gearing.

You are have right with your assumption that 16s should offer better traction that 14s. The bigger wheels will usually come with wider tyres which offer more contact area with the road, so the co-efficient of friction is higher and car is less likely to break traction, hindering its progress when trying to accelerate.

Like for like that is correct. However, and this is the big huge point which you're missing - this is not about which tyre has the most grip as in, for the sake of argument and round figures, a 100bhp car is not going to break too much traction if driven properly. You don't need absolute grip to contain the power as you would with something like an Impreza, M3 etc.

Admittedly a 165 tyre on a 14" rim would spin easier than a 195 on a 16" rim, but thats if they're not driven properly. The idea when accelerating is not spin too much, if at all. If you do too much, which you can with either tyre, then you've already lost.

Thats the traction side of things out of the way. Next lesson, gearing.

The distance travelled by your wheel is affected by three things. Engine speed, what gear you are in and wheel diameter (including the tyre). If you are in 5th gear then for each turn of the engine, for round figures, your wheel may rotate fully once. So if you are doing 2000rpm in 5th your wheel will also be rotating 2000 times per minute. That is why in fifth you are able to cover the most distance for engine speed, and you don't need loads of revs like you do in lower gears to do the same speed. Try doing 50mph in 2nd and you'll see what I mean.

Clearly 5th gear is a good gear to be in, because it covers a lot of ground for very little engine input. There is a problem though, because the engine speed is multiplied up in to a lot of wheel distance, there is also more torque required to turn the engine. That is why you occasionally need to change down gear when travelling up hill, to reduce the amount of multiplication offered to the wheels by the gearbox and to make the best use of the engine power that is available. If its a very steep hill, you might even choose 3rd, or 2nd or 1st. There is a direct relationship between gear ratio and the amount of power required to maintain a constant speed.

As you change down gear you reduce the multiplication factor, and therefore the number of times that the wheel rotates, but this makes it easier to rotate the wheel.

With me so far? OK.

To summarise - making your wheels smaller has exactly the same affect as changing down gear, as you're altering the distance that the tyre travels (a larger wheel has a larger circumference and will therefore travel further, just as if you were in a higher gear).

For an extreme example consider a car with wheels twice as big as the manufacturer intended. You race with against this car. You have use of all gears, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th.

The other car with the huge wheels has a multiplication factor in the size of the wheel, which effectively lengthens the gearing, his 1st gear is like your 2nd, his 2nd gear is like your 4th, his 3rd gear is like you had a 6th gear.

His gearing is increasing at twice the rate yours is. Conder how slow his acceleration is if he only has use of 2nd, 4th and 6th gear, when compared to your car whose ratios have not been altered because you have normal wheels.

Consider also he would have an effective top gear which was also double yours, and also double the top speed. However this does not happen as at over 100ish mph you need to double the amount of power to go even a small amount faster due to air resistance, and the engines power will eventually be overcome regardless of how the car is geared.

As you may have gathered there is quite a lot to know about gearing, tyres, acceleration, top speed, friction, co-efficient of drag, many other things. Please do not assume that as you don't yet have the basics, anyone who is trying to explain them to you is thick because of the way which you presently understand things to work.

If you posted on Corsa Crazy and said that the people on here know nothing then you obviously didn't give this place the time and patience to fully understand what we were saying.

If anything is unclear I'll gladly continue the explanation.
Joff

9th Jan 05 at 01:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Please, continue.
MarkW

9th Jan 05 at 01:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian you do realise after spending so long writing that essay ^ he's still gonna tell you your talkin s hit?

[Edited on 09-01-2005 by MarkW]
Joff

9th Jan 05 at 01:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To summarise, big wheels = gay wheels.

[Edited on 09-01-2005 by Ian]
JJ

9th Jan 05 at 02:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stop being gay!
Lee 16v

9th Jan 05 at 02:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go away.... back to ur 1 bedroom top storey flat with your 14 year old girlfriend and your kids

[Edited on 09-01-2005 by Lee 16v]
Cybermonkey

9th Jan 05 at 04:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
so your saying theres more traction on 14s than 16s?????

Depends on the width
Cybermonkey

9th Jan 05 at 04:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
so lets get back to the question why would a car be faster with 14s when it would just spin 16s grip and wen its lowered it doesnt lean back and grips better is that right?
No, its not about traction, its about gearing.

I would have banned is ass 3 pages ago

[Edited on 09-01-2005 by Ian]
Joff

9th Jan 05 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

evansy

9th Jan 05 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PMSL
i would have asked if this guy was for real but i've met people like him before.
why would someone ask for advice then say that advice was BS? then go off on a tangent about smaller wheels and lower cars being faster. if only the goverment would listen when i start taking about my chav battle royale idea
chr15barn3s

9th Jan 05 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

funniest thread of the year so far
mothsgunav2

9th Jan 05 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I WAS ONLY JOKING, U GUYS CAN BE TO SERIOUS SOME TIMES ITS GOOD ACTING LIKE SUCH A DICK SOME TIMES U GUYS SEEM REALY PISSED ME WIN!
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

9th Jan 05 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I WAS ONLY JOKING, U GUYS CAN BE TO SERIOUS SOME TIMES ITS GOOD ACTING LIKE SUCH A DICK SOME TIMES U GUYS SEEM REALY PISSED ME WIN!

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll