corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Shopping List - What do i need to modify front bumper?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Shopping List - What do i need to modify front bumper?
MarkW

User status: Offline
   5th Jan 05 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok guys and girls any help much appreciated

Basically i've got a spare corsa post 97 front bumper, and i'm wanting to fit a JC Design front splitter, but i also want to smooth out the top "groove" - where the black plastic meets the rest of the bumper - obviously i want to sand the black plastic back aswell so there's no bobble effect ..... so what do i need to do and what filler, sand paper grade's & primer etc do i need?

would i need to sand the rest of the bumper down - the already factory sprayed part, and also prime this up ?
also what do i need to bond the splitter on? and then once that is fitted smooth the edge's out, would i need fibreglass to fill any big cracks?

i really want to have a go at this myself and try and get it to a stage where i'm totally happy with it, smoothed and primed up so then all i need to do is have it sprayed

like i said any help, tips and a shopping list would be really appreciated
MarkW

5th Jan 05 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

btw tried a search and couldn't really find much
GLSi GUY

5th Jan 05 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you will need some tigerseal (glue) to stick the splitter on.
body filler,
fibreglass and resin,
and buy a black and decker mouse. they are about £20 from B&Q at the moment, and you get lots of different attatchments and grades of paper too. i dont know what i would do without my mouse

glue the splitter onto the bumper with tiger seal. rough up the bumper and underside of the splitter with some rough sandpaper for the glue to key onto, and wipe it with some white spirit to get the grease and muck off.

use fibreglass to bridge the splitter to the bumper, dont use too much, as it will take ages to sand down.

skim over the fibreglass (once it has dried) with filler, again, dont use too much, as it will take ages to sand down, remember you can allways apply more later on. use your mouse to sand it down and get it smooth.

MarkW

5th Jan 05 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers rob what filler is it though? searched earlier stuff like p38 and p40 was coming up??
GLSi GUY

5th Jan 05 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to fill in the 'groove' on the bumper i used an angle grinder (lightly) to mash up the surface, so the body filler could stick. (there isnt really much room to use fibreglass in the groove). then apply the body filler, and sand down using the mouse.

to sand down the filler and fibreglass use a rough grade of paper to get the bulk down, then use a finer grade to get it smooth.

you can sand down the black bobby bit, it has allready had primer and paint applied to it, so shouldnt be to hard to sand down.

you will need to sand the factory painted bit for the primer to key into.

once you have done, clean the bumper with white spirit, and let dry.

use high build primer to cover slight flaws. sand this down to get rid of imperfections, and apply more primper.

[Edited on 05-01-2005 by GLSi GUY]
GLSi GUY

5th Jan 05 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just go to your local motorfactors and get a nice tub of 'body filler' will cost about £4 for nice size tub.

also get seperate fibreglass matting and resin+hardner, as you can mix bits at a time, and its easier to use than ready mixed matting and resin.
MarkW

5th Jan 05 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i owe you a pint when were at the next NW & NW CS meet m8
GLSi GUY

5th Jan 05 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no problem matey
Adge

5th Jan 05 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any problems u2u me mate glad to help
MarkW

6th Jan 05 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will do m8 cheers for the offer, just want to have a go at it myself first if you know what i mean - if i mess it up u'll be getting a call
Adge

6th Jan 05 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea mate cant blame u best give it a go first pal save sum money mate! any problems u2u me and i might be able to help ya out
arf_SRi

6th Jan 05 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

be careful with the mouse mate when u get to the smoothing stage as u can flatten the bumper and will have to fill it again.

as u get to the stage of finishing the bumper off, its best to do it by hand, u'll be more likely to get a better finish and do it right firs time. hope this helps mate!
ikky

6th Jan 05 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when filling the grove, really mash it up 1st, other wise the filler or whatever you decide to use will not stick. if your car is an everyday use car, use a plastized filler, as this will flex more before it cracks. the grove is a flexible part of the bumper because it is so thin.
duffy123
Banned

6th Jan 05 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=95711
hazey-corsa

6th Jan 05 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im also thinkin of doing something along the lines of this (dont worry Mark Im not hijacking ur idea its quite a bit different) Does anyone kno where I can get Tigerseal from as my local motorstores dont stock it!?
Shane

6th Jan 05 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by hazey-corsa
Im also thinkin of doing something along the lines of this (dont worry Mark Im not hijacking ur idea its quite a bit different) Does anyone kno where I can get Tigerseal from as my local motorstores dont stock it!?

b&q somewhere like that
ikky

6th Jan 05 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try directory inquiries and ask for a paint factor, autopaint international, morrelies etc

New Poll