corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » What do i need?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What do i need?
Kerry

User status: Offline
14th Oct 03 at 00:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically ive got a bumper im going to modify myself but need to make a little shopping list for equipment il need to undertake my project????

wot filler and wot sandpaper?
is there anything else il need?

ideas and advise greatly appreciated
Mo

14th Oct 03 at 00:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is the bumper plastic or fibre glass?
Kerry

14th Oct 03 at 00:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

plastic but im fittin a rear valance which is fibreglass
Colin.S

14th Oct 03 at 00:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about some of that bonding stuff to bond the valance on? (sorry, i dont know what it's called)
Mo

14th Oct 03 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok i'm no expert but u need different grians of sandpaper they come in numbers like 'p40' etc. i don't know what filler to use i just remember the tin, it had some writing that went diagionally across the tin and the background was white.

it's not as easy as it looks working with filler, i hope u've got experince with it. the mixture with hardener and filler has to be right as well cause if u put too little hardener in the filler won't set. Plus u have to make the finishing touches really smooth (wet and dry usually does this) or else u will see all the mistakes though the paint when it reflexs the light.
Kerry

14th Oct 03 at 00:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

colin good thinking although if i remember rightly it came with some sort of fitments also once its on i want to attempt to smooth the join

mo i have never done it before but like i said its a disposable bumper so im willin to give it a go, i would like to be able to say i did most of it as ive done everythin else to the car myself so far i painted my calipers today and sorted my egr valve
Mo

14th Oct 03 at 00:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it's good to hear you've done everything yourself. what i might recommen is to start it yourself and get a bodyshop to touch it up and spray it, that way it'll have a good finish to it.

when i worked with bodyfiller it took ages and it still wasn't right. finally i gave up and left it. I hope u have alot of time, patience and a good eye to spot sligth dents or curves.

Give it a go and see what happens. oh u might need a hair dryer if u want the filler to dry faster and a jigsaw just incase the valance needs trimming to make it fit properly
AdiSRI

14th Oct 03 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, u will need fibreglass to make the actual structure between the 2 bits, dont use filler for this else it will crack.
Then use 'Top Stop Gold' from a local bodyshop or trade supplier to finish off (make it smooth) before u paint it.

Normal bodyfiller is crap, its too thick and sticky to get it right, thus u use fibreglass to give a stronger base and top stop to smooth (top stop gold is like a runny filler).

Anymore help just ask.
Kerry

14th Oct 03 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right cheers for the advise everyone. dont worry ive not even thought of attempting to paint anything just thought it would me more satisfying and cheaper if i attempted the preparation myself

now u mention the fibreglass aidi wot u are sayin makes sense thanks i will have to ask pete to train me on that one

also do u think i should primer it when i have finished or leave that to the painter too?

thanks again
AdiSRI

14th Oct 03 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

leave it to the painter, if u prime it with a can they cant spray it i have been told.
They wud strip your primer off and paint it again!
Just concentrate on getting it strong with fibreglass (u want tub not matting as pete used) and then VERY smooth with top stop. Its good stuff easy to get good and easy to sand. As used by bodyshops everywhere LOL.
Kerry

14th Oct 03 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok so i need

tub of fibreglass
top stop

but wot grain of paper?
Kerry

14th Oct 03 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any idea how to make a recess
tazmaniac

14th Oct 03 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try www.carsprays.co.uk u will probably find some good tips on there good luck.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » What do i need? 23 database queries in 0.0134971 seconds