corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How Much Do You Look After Your Car......

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How Much Do You Look After Your Car......
3CorsaMeal

User status: Offline
5th Jan 05 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i check the shell for rust and treat it before it gets worse, although it has a bit of a dent in rear quarter, i still make sure its sound.

don't care about the engine as much really, in a way i would prefer it to die so i have good excuse to get the 2.0ltr
leeshez

5th Jan 05 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I change my oil every 3-4K and clean every week and polish all the time. I keep it out side
3CorsaMeal

5th Jan 05 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haven't changed oil for about 30,000 miles
Ojc

5th Jan 05 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You lot don't know the meaning of rust

I'm lucky in the fact that the only bit of rust on the Nova is the battery tray which is not structual, I treat it every now and again but before the shows I will have it all cut out and plated up.

Being a Nova I need to check for rust every weekend, but as it does'nt get wet should'nt be a problem.

I shall be attacking the underneath and the inner arches this weekend with the some Hammorite paint which contains Waxoil, I noticed it in Halfords at the weekend.
TNM

5th Jan 05 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BeArDy
i was looking at the post about people and there Cam belts, and worrying about them.
well how many people infact look after the Shell of the car.
as engines you can fix/throw away etc and everyone worrys about them but never really hear them about there shell
i would rather have a engine which is not well and a mint shell reather then a good serviced engine and a Rotten shell.....

so do people look after there Shell......?

- i wash and polish the car ever 2 days
- the car is kept in a garage covered up with pots of Salt underneath to keep the damp in the air away from the car
- remove front bumper and wash inside of the that once a week (i know its fiberglass and will not rust by just saying)
- wash under the car once a week and underseal it ever 6 months
- get under the car and give it a once over for rust once a month

just came into my mind as it was time for underseal the car again and been under it all day, found abit of rust where the bottom arms join the shell on the weld (where i have seam welded the bay only surface rust), drill/wire brushed it all away, treated it and then painted, then undersealed over it.....

Do you have tooo much time if you can do all this?
Siberia

5th Jan 05 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would hamerite painted onto the underneath be of any protection....

i have access to a ramp so might pick up a tin at the weekend?
Robbo

5th Jan 05 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i was looking at the post about people and there Cam belts, and worrying about them.
as engines you can fix/throw away etc and everyone worrys about them but never really hear them about there shell
i would rather have a engine which is not well and a mint shell reather then a good serviced engine and a Rotten shell.....

- the car is kept in a garage covered up with pots of Salt underneath to keep the damp in the air away from the car
- remove front bumper and wash inside of the that once a week (i know its fiberglass and will not rust by just saying)

just came into my mind as it was time for underseal the car again and been under it all day, found abit of rust where the bottom arms join the shell on the weld (where i have seam welded the bay only surface rust), drill/wire brushed it all away, treated it and then painted, then undersealed over it.....

Dedication

But fuck me, even if I get an Evo or an M3 I would do that much Altho I am a bit funny with the house - have to do soem things all the time to keep it clean etc
--Dave--
Banned

5th Jan 05 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haven't cleaned the car for about 3 weeks due to christmas and new year but usually try to wash and wax every 2 weeks. Includes hoovering insides and whatnot. Engine bay gets totally cleaned too. Oil, wiper blades, water/coolant etc is checked every week (yes I have a Haynes Manual :lol
Treat chips with T-Cut as soon as I see them.
L33 LEG
Banned

5th Jan 05 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

at last someone else who washes their care as much as me.

i wash it everyday, if its raining i will jst wait until theres an hour dry spell. usually polish it every 2 or 3 days.

but i have to admit, ive never looked under the car and i cnt exactly say my engine is in the best of conditions
3CorsaMeal

5th Jan 05 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was thinking that if i had a BAT kit fitted then u want to look after it that much, isn't exactly the sort of thing that easy to swap.

if i found major prob's i could swap my bits over to a new shell
Wolfy

5th Jan 05 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wash my car once a week with a full polish, hoover insides, check undercarpets for rust and water leaks, clean the brakes, check undercar for rust spots, always check the oil and coolant, check inside the t-bars for damp or rust, ... genrally i look after mine, just spent 350£ to have my sports clutch fitted, never skimp on tyres and if the roads salty i wash the car down.
LingardGSI

5th Jan 05 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wash the car about 3 or 4 times a week i also polish it about twice it also gets waxoiled at least once a year and if there is and rusty bits they get sorted right away as they annoy me so much it also get cleaned and hoovered inside once a week but never really gets that dirty i also at winter time take off the wheels and put on winter wheels to save my wheels getting wrecked here are some pictures:
This is it in the summer at crail:

And this is it now sitting in my drive with the winter wheels on getting used as little as possable with a couple of new mods:

[Edited on 05-01-2005 by LingardGSI]

Kerry

5th Jan 05 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

well in the 9 months or so i knew u i didnt see any evidence of this ONCE

you couldnt even get the front bumper off when AA came to tow you away AGAIN
J100RSA

5th Jan 05 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i just dont drive my car in shitty weather its sits on axal stands in a dry garage (my work) with no wheels on so the tyres dont get flat spots it gets cleaned around 2/3 times a week in the summer and get oil and filter changed every 3k miles r basicly once a year if its wet it dont come out unles it realie has to it get the full 3 stage mauguiers every other week any paint work that need doing gets done like front bumper once a year etc etc

[Edited on 05-01-2005 by J100RSA]
BeArDy

6th Jan 05 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry
quote:

well in the 9 months or so i knew u i didnt see any evidence of this ONCE

you couldnt even get the front bumper off when AA came to tow you away AGAIN

had other things on my mind then
and i had fell out with the car

How times change
ainsley_brader

6th Jan 05 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I bought my car to drive not polish!!
Joff

6th Jan 05 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ainsley_brader
Personally I bought my car to drive not polish!!

Amen sister!

Enjoy the car by driving - sun, rain, snow... even at night time!!
Sometimes, I'll wash the windows so I can see - or maybe just half of the car.
ainsley_brader

6th Jan 05 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or just the lights!
Raspy

6th Jan 05 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wash my car more often in Winter than in Summer, as it's the salt they put on the road that really does them in.

Proof in that is Japanese cars - they don't even underseal them there as they do not salt the roads. Import one and the first thing you have to do is underseal it to stop it rusting to pieces.

It's not the water by the way - it rains in Japan quite a lot. It's definitely the salt.
Akeemking

7th Jan 05 at 03:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just feed it.

a_j_mair

26th Jan 06 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

time of year again to be thinking of giving your car a good clean
K17STY

26th Jan 06 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

grave digging!
oba-corsa
Premium Member

26th Jan 06 at 16:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wash my car every week and just give it a service and some new brake pads but my car is like a girl it never wants 2 do what you wont and it likes being a bitch and it is only 3years old but I still love it.
ed

26th Jan 06 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not saying your a thread digger, but you aint messin with no broke niggas...
Dan B

26th Jan 06 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think, from memory, I last washed the car about 6 months ago...

Checked underneath? Probably about the time I took my old exhaust off, about 2.5 years ago...

Polish? Still got the original 1L bottle I bought not long after buying the car in 2001...

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How Much Do You Look After Your Car...... 22 database queries in 0.1943419 seconds