corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » RevCounter Help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author RevCounter Help
steve101

User status: Offline
27th Dec 04 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to the scrappies tomorrow in the hope of finding a set of clocks which includes a rev counter, as my car doesnt have one (1.2 8v). The problem is that my speedo is mechanically driven, and not electronic. However, I may - if I have to - take a set which is electronically driven, in which case i'd need the sender from the gearbox or wherever.

This is where the problems start, obviously.

What else would I need to get off the donor car, what do the other things look like and where can I find them?

[N.B Wiring the damned thing up aint a problem as my step dad's a qualified technician - and this is a LAST RESORT - only if there are no cable driven ones there]

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

[Edited on 27-12-2004 by steve101]

[Edited on 30-12-2004 by steve101]
CorsAsh

27th Dec 04 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look for a car of similar year - i got my clocks from an sri of the same year, 1995 - it's an easy swap then.
AJBek

27th Dec 04 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep, best to get the clocks off a late 1.2 8V with electronic dials and rev counter as the sports and other high spec cars use a solid state gearbox sender which won't be compatible with the mechanical drive on your box. Either that or cable clocks and rev counter from an sri or gsi, but they are getting harder to find.

[Edited on 27-12-2004 by AJBek]
steve101

27th Dec 04 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AJBek
yep, best to get the clocks off a late 1.2 8V with electronic dials and rev counter as the sports and other high spec cars use a solid state gearbox sender which won't be compatible with the mechanical drive on your box. Either that or cable clocks and rev counter from an sri or gsi, but they are getting harder to find.

So would this be like a straight swap?

ed

28th Dec 04 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But you wouldon't have a rev counter then.

If you can find a mechanically driven speedo with the rev counter then it will probably be a straight swap because it is more than likely the speedo loom will include the rev counter wire.

If you get a set of clocks with electronic drive then you will need to ge the speedo and plug fron the car. Get the plug out by cutting it off with plenty of wire attatched, unscrew the send from the gearbox and pull the wires through the bulkhead - bear in mind that they may be taped in to places, so it might just be easier to cut the sender off and use extension wires to the plug.

Wiring it up into the car is colour matching - you need the new plug becuase your old plug won't have the correct pins. Try and soilder the connections and cover any bare wires with heat shrink
AJBek

28th Dec 04 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by steve101
quote:
Originally posted by AJBek

So would this be like a straight swap?

sorry mate, I meant if you get electronic clocks from a late model corsa with an electric speedo you will need the sender unit from a late 1.2 8V to make the speedo work. All the later 1.416V and 1.616V from P late on cars ran a solid state sendsor with an electric trigger ring on the diff. Even if you take the sender from the box it still won't work as your diff has a mechanical speedo ring which needs a mechanical sender unit which as far as I know only came on the late 1.2 8V cars have the right sender. See this post below and all will be revealed.

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=181870
steve101

30th Dec 04 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, i have a problem... got a MECHANICAL set of clocks for a tenner, but one problem... i have the green wire coming from the coil, but it doesnt seem to be on the connector block behind the dials for some reason!

Anything I can do to get round this?

steve101

30th Dec 04 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, i've plugged it in anyway, no rev counter working.. but now the petrol gauge is reading empty, and i filled the tank up about 5 minutes ago, though when i try my old dials the gauge works??

Any ideas???
Angie

30th Dec 04 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why the hell would you want a rev counter for a 1.2 8v? They are so slow (I know, I have one) there is no need for one!
Adam_B

30th Dec 04 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine left the factory with one
steve101

30th Dec 04 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for the productive answers lol, but i just think it looks better. ANy serious answers?

Thanks

New Poll