corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Subs and amps wiring

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subs and amps wiring
Hagger

User status: Offline
   16th Dec 04 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi , ive got a dvd player for my car which i am going to use as a headunit , BUT it only has pre outs , so i was told to get an amp.
I've now got a 2 channel Amp, but will i be able to run the sub off a 2 channel amp? or does it have to have a separate bit to run the sub off?

On the dvd player , it says "dolby ac3 / DTS ready" , dunno if this helps.

Cheers

Carl
Dom

16th Dec 04 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DUH !!!!

you need to beable to control the volume so you will still NEED a headunit, except with a aux input.

so get yourself something like a pioneer/alpine, then get a an aux in cable and then install the whole lot

As for sub, get a monoblock amp instead as it will sound better..just make sure its RMS rated slightly more than the RMS on the sub and then cut the gains a tad
And then use your 2 channel amp on the speakers on the front....IF THEY ARE AFTERMARKET JOBBIES

p.s - i feel you should have done some research into this before you went out and got your stuff, because your gonna have to shell out alot more cash, as you could have just got a DVD/Reciver HU (pioneer do one at 400 quid) that would offer a one din solution with video out for your lcd screen etc etc etc
Hagger

16th Dec 04 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the dvd player ive got is din sized, and it does have volume on it , but it only has phono outputs for the sound , i bought the sub and amp for £40 off a mate , coz it was cheep!
front speakers are aftermarket ones
so , will i be able to run the sub from the amp? or will i need another amp?

cheers
Dom

16th Dec 04 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

give us the model number and make mate and ill google it all up

but yea, it sounds like a decent unit, in which case use the 2 channel amp for your front speakers and tap them off the front preouts (phono output...called RCA/Preout in ICE talk lol) and then buy a monoblock for your sub and tap that off the sub preout from the dvd/HU
Hagger

16th Dec 04 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5733659661&ed=1101926219000&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOT:UK:3

thats the headunit / screen
Hagger

16th Dec 04 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres no sub preout on the back of the player...

Dom

16th Dec 04 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like it only has one set of preouts, so if your current two channel amp doesnt have an optional output set of preouts then you have a number of ways of doing it

1) buy a y splitter connector and then making one set go to the 2channel, the other to the monoblock

or 2) the more professional way and buying a line driver that basically takes in a preout signal and splits it into a number of preouts - but its powered and therefore takes the stress off the HU to increase the current on the preouts (what happens when you split the preouts with splitters etc).

double check that there is a way to control the volume, AND that it controls the preouts - easiest way to check is get a RCA cable, attach it to of the preout channel and then put a multimeter (set to DC) across the middle pin and the grounded outer shielding, and then increase/decrease the volume and see if the voltage changes etc

hope this helps mate
Hagger

16th Dec 04 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheer or all the help!
the dvd player def has volume control , the screen i got with it has a built in speaker , and u can control the volume through the headunit.
how much will a monoblock amp set me back?
Dom

16th Dec 04 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hagger
cheer or all the help!
the dvd player def has volume control , the screen i got with it has a built in speaker , and u can control the volume through the headunit.
how much will a monoblock amp set me back?

dont worry about the screen mate, as long as you can control the volume on the DVD/HU then thats cool...otherwise it will be full volume type thing

a decent monoblock will set you back about 200 quid +, but it obviously depends on the RMS rating of the sub etc
Just make sure, like with buying all amps, that you buy an amp that gives out abit more RMS juice than the speakers need...ie: if the speakers are rated at 100wRMS, then get an amp rated at 150wRMS....then turn the gains down a tad, as this will help prevent distiortion
Hagger

16th Dec 04 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the 2 channel amp is 125w RMS i think , so it should be fine for the front speakers , the sub is one of them halfords special massive things , its got 2 10" subs in it , dunno the RMS
dont really want to be paying £200 for an amp for it , i'd rather not have it seen as it only cost me £20!
Dom

16th Dec 04 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
the 2 channel amp is 125w RMS i think , so it should be fine for the front speakers , the sub is one of them halfords special massive things , its got 2 10" subs in it , dunno the RMS
dont really want to be paying £200 for an amp for it , i'd rather not have it seen as it only cost me £20!

well im guessing it will be around 250-350wRMS atleast so your gonna need an amp of some sorts, and although underpowering it wont hurt it, turning up your system full wack will cause shite loads of distortion that will burn the coils. Therefore i would save your pennies for a monoblock that is capable of offering the power it needs
But you need to find out what the subs RMS power handling figure is and how there are connected/what load they are...as it determines what amp(s) you can go for etc etc

If halfords still stock the sub box thingy, then go in an ask about it and just pray they dont flog you off with shite info etc
Richie

16th Dec 04 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The correct way around this would be to stop where you are, save some money and do it properly.

Get a headunit with an aux in, run your dvd player through it. Get a decent amp to power your subs. Easiest way for us to identify the subs is for you to tell us what it says on the front of the subs.
Dom

16th Dec 04 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richie
The correct way around this would be to stop where you are, save some money and do it properly.

Get a headunit with an aux in, run your dvd player through it. Get a decent amp to power your subs. Easiest way for us to identify the subs is for you to tell us what it says on the front of the subs.

aye this is what i thought mate, but apparently he can control the volume from the dvd/hu thingy. Only thing he wont have will be radio but apart from that, i cant see anything wrong with it....although it only has one 2v preout, so a line driver would be the way forward
Hagger

16th Dec 04 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theyre these

1100W Peak Power (2200 Watt Total)

Rec. Sealed Box Dims: 0.75 cu.ft.

Rec. Ported Box Dims: 1.30 cu.ft.

Sensitivity: 88 dB

Frequency Response: 18-2,500 Hz

Recommended RMS Power: 300W

Peak Power Handling: 600W

Impedance: 4 ohms
Dom

16th Dec 04 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
theyre these

1100W Peak Power (2200 Watt Total)

Rec. Sealed Box Dims: 0.75 cu.ft.

Rec. Ported Box Dims: 1.30 cu.ft.

Sensitivity: 88 dB

Frequency Response: 18-2,500 Hz

Recommended RMS Power: 300W

Peak Power Handling: 600W

Impedance: 4 ohms

you need a monoblock rated at 350-400wRMS @ 4ohms will set you back about 200-300 quid for something pretty good
Hagger

16th Dec 04 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'll see if i can get a 2nd hand one off ebay or something, havent got that much spare!
Richie

16th Dec 04 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you need to set a budget for what you buy. If you buy the subs and cant afford the amp, then why get them? Dont use a cheap shit amp cos then you will burn the coils on your subs.
Hagger

16th Dec 04 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the subs and amp were in a car my m8 bought , and the subs were working in the car , but he sold the car and kept all the shit from it , sold it to me , so i thought the subs would be running off the amp which was in the boot with it , but it obviously wasnt , but for £40 im not gunna say no!
Richie

16th Dec 04 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah good deal there then

Think your best bet would be to sell on the subs and box, and get a nice little sub and amp instead
Smick

16th Dec 04 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you dont want to fork out loadsa money for an amp, sell the subs on ebay, you will prob get a bit more than what you paid for them (the same at least), then buy another cheaper sub + amp.

Problem solved and you wont hafta shell out £200-300 for a high spec amp that you dont really seem to want
AdiSRI

17th Dec 04 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh he doesnt seem much bothered, get one of those stupidly cheap shite amps off ebay they will make the subs work and that seems to be what he wants
Hagger

18th Dec 04 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdiSRI
tbh he doesnt seem much bothered, get one of those stupidly cheap shite amps off ebay they will make the subs work and that seems to be what he wants

sounds good to me
Hagger

18th Dec 04 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

found this for £49.99 -

600 watt Boss sound amp

300w x 2 (max)

600w x 1 (max)

BUT , will it be ok running 2 amps from only 1 set of outputs on the DVD player?

New Poll