corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » home network need help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author home network need help
Jason

User status: Offline
14th Dec 04 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jus ordered my laptop but i want to make it connect wireless
it has a built in WiFi card etc etc but the problem is i dont want my stand alone pc to be wireless but i want the 2 to share the connection

so what shud i buy? a wireless router for my computer WITHOUT a built in modem or one with??
Jodi_the_g

14th Dec 04 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how do you connect to the interent dial up or broadband
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Dec 04 at 20:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the internet currently comes in to one computer using RJ45 (pics) plug then yes, just buy a wireless router and put that inbetween.
Steve
Premium Member

15th Dec 04 at 08:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with one is better as its more tidy less wires etc, but if you've already got a seperate modem then yes just get a wireless router
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

15th Dec 04 at 08:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a wireless access point with router options, if you have an ADSL connection then you can get ones which can plug striaght into the socket and handle all the sharing (remember to read the spec for this)!, if you have cable then you can settle for ones that can just route as you will plug the cable modem into WAN port of the router.

Just tell us what you have and we can recomend products from there, I so far have used D-Link products (802.11g wireless products) and found them very feature rich and easy to setup.
Steve
Premium Member

15th Dec 04 at 08:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cisco or Linksys (same company) are the best products may be a tad pricey though compared to d-link
willay
Premium Member

15th Dec 04 at 08:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VERY big difference in prices and product you'll find Steve.

I'd say cisco if it was a large office, had the cash to spunk on the gear or was a cisco shop but I'm guessing its for a home network.

Linksys on the other hand would be the way to go, they probably do a product like the ones I'm describing above along with the easy-to-configure http interface they provide on all SOHO products these days.
Steve
Premium Member

15th Dec 04 at 08:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Linksys are Ciscos attempt at making products for the home user, i fint their products easy to use with some nice advanced features
willay
Premium Member

15th Dec 04 at 09:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GSiSteve
Linksys are Ciscos attempt at making products for the home user, i fint their products easy to use with some nice advanced features

False.

Linksys were bought out by Cisco in early 2003 if memory serves me right.

Linksys have always been at the high end of the home network/SOHO market IMHO.

From what I can gather and seen, Cisco has revamped Linksys' product range to look more like professional devices (like Ciscos).
Steve
Premium Member

15th Dec 04 at 09:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes of course they were bought out you fucking anus, but the linksys range are geared more towards home users
willay
Premium Member

15th Dec 04 at 10:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your comment was suggesting that Linksys were always part of Cisco, but were just there to serve the home market.

Don't get upset Steve, its only the internet.
Jason

16th Dec 04 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is no network card in my desktop so no RJ45 connectors but what i want 2 know is can i buy a wireless router with modem built in and let it connect at the same time as myself here in my room without it knocking me offline??

New Poll