corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Shaking steering wheel!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Shaking steering wheel!
X 60RSA

User status: Offline
24th Nov 04 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had new EBC disks put on the front on my Corsa 4 weeks ago, along with the green stuff pads. As time has gone on and the pads have bedded in, i sometimes get a real shaking through the steering wheel under braking, didnt really happen on the old shite disks that were blue!

Surely these EBC disks shouldn't have warped?

Am i left with checking the steering rack?
Balancing of the wheels?
Taking the discs off and running a DTi over them?

Have i covered everything?
Richie

24th Nov 04 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i fitted Apec (normal) disks to mine, i didnt fit the one of them totally central, which caused a hell of a lot of shaking. I stripped it back down, took it off, then put it on again and banged it with a rubber mallet, then started the engine while car was on axel stands to make sure wheel was moving fine without wobbling
Joff

24th Nov 04 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just let go when it starts to shake
RobHayes

24th Nov 04 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rather than take off the discs, borrow a DTi with a magnetic base from work, jack car up, take the wheel off and spin the disc with the DTi on it

dunno if it would work but makes me sound like i know something
TOMAS

24th Nov 04 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its only done it since replacing discs and pads i'd look at them. Forget the rack cos even a worn rack wouldnt mean shaking unless wheels/brakes were unbalanced in some way. I'd remove the discs and ensure the hub mating face is spotless. Next bolt on the discs and if you can check for run-out (like checking for buckles on a push bike wheel). If they are fine or within tollerences then look at balancing of the front wheels.

Sometimes just removing the wheels/discs and spinning the disc through 180 degrees on the hub face and putting it back on can cure it (but you wont get the little allen grub screw back in but no bother). Does it only do it under braking, braking hard or all the time?
X 60RSA

25th Nov 04 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah its mainly braking, easpecially coming down from high speed, they get heated up and they are pretty damn good if i have to brake quick doing a low speed................ say i was doing a ton and just lightly applied the brakes, the steering wheel begins to shake, the more heat in the discs the worse it seems to get.....
Black Corsa SRi

25th Nov 04 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its unlikley to be this cause it'd do it all the time more likely if this was the prob but its still worth a look. Do you have spacers/spiggot rings on your alloys? Ones not stuck to the alloy when you've taken off the wheels to change the discs and you've end edup putting 2 on one side and none on the other has it? Its just that on my old corsa the garage that changed my 2 front tyres did this and i got vibration at higher speeds but it wasnt just on braking though but thought i'd mention it anyway just in case! LOL

New Poll