corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Few Questions...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Few Questions...
PaulW

User status: Offline
11th Nov 04 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right I was a dab-hand on the 8v engine in the old corsa, could do a headgasket change in a few hrs, hell I even swapped the whole engine in about 6hrs & then drove it 200 miles easy enough to work on though!

I'm now lookin at doin a bit of work to the GSi in upcoming weeks, pref before christmas.

1) Change CLutch & Clutch Cable
2) Replace pretty much all the coolant hoses as a few are tired & creaky
3) Replace Timing Belt (ok so its only got about 8k miles on it, but I used to change the one on the 8v every 10k miles, excessive yes, but better safe than sorry)
4) 'Try' clean the Pipercross filter, but I aint got a damn clue how I go about doing this as I have no instructions!
5) Do the Aux drive belt also...
6) Replace fuel filter

been looking through my haynes manual & the jobs seem ok(ish) to do myself, fiddly though as pretty much fook all room to work with!

just wondering mainly on times of each job listed, and also how the hell would I go about cleaning the pipercross filter!

Cheers

Siberia

11th Nov 04 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1. i'd send it to a garage... gearbox out job.... although i've just did this on mine and they made a balls of my car
2.piece of p1ss
3. easy peasey to do. not much more difficult than your 8v. ... get yerself a water pump and some idlers and tensioner while yer doing it
4.dunno how.
5. do this when doing the timing belt... its gonna have to come off to do the timing belt anyways..
6. never done one but how hard car uncliping 2 clips pulling the hoses off either end and putting the clips back on...

Rileysport

11th Nov 04 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

incidentally whats the size off the bolt holding the crank pulley on ?
Siberia

11th Nov 04 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a torex bolt.. not to sure of its size though.. M..something

can check for you when i get home though..
Greasemonkey

11th Nov 04 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TO clean a pipercross filter clean it in a de greasant like fairy washing upliquid, give it a thorough clean then allow to dry fully, has to be bone dry then re-oil with filter oil, should have got some with ya filter if not i got a can next to me right now
Fuel filter says you require special tool, use long nose pliers, does same job, 2 clips bit of fuel spillage, 5 min job
Auxillarty (spelling) belt requires an engine mount to be removed but its simple to do, 20min job, cam belt id say is a half day job to be on the safe side, clutch take it to sumoe one else
James R

11th Nov 04 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think it's an E16 but don't quote me.

All the above are fine, are you going to get the SBD metal tensioner and idler rollers? You've gotto whip off the aux belt to get to the cambelt anyways
the clutch change is an gearbox out job, pretty simple, but have a few jacks handy to hold things up.
PaulW

11th Nov 04 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah I will be uprating the the tensioner & roiller with SBD items but original GM timing belt should do for now until I start playing some more with engine.

I'll get the gearbox done under the warranty, there is only 1 month left on the warranty so why not use it up just the pedal goes all the way to the floor with little resistance, so could be cable or release springs or something...

thinking of anything else I could do aswell... not got no filter oil - filter was on the car when I got it & there was no oil...
Siberia

11th Nov 04 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my clutch is feckered i don know whats wrong with it.

its adjust way out of spec when u do the trick with the piece of wood it measures 114 and it should be between 126 and 132.

the clutch feels like its slipping but it cant be adjusted out anymore cos if i do i cant get it into gear.......

does anyone know if the clutch cable on a gsi is different to a 1.2 8v.?
James R

11th Nov 04 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is the pressure plate that causes the resitance to the pedal.
The cable will make the clutch release slowly, as it sticks a bit.
I just adjust the clutch pedal so it's level to the brake pedal.
QH belts are ok I've not had any issues with them, and have been through 6of them now. Just make sure you time the belt in correctly, and triple check it, so easy to be a tooth out.
Adam-D

11th Nov 04 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

num 4

ditch it for a airbox and panel filter

New Poll