corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Flatspot is pissing me off now... Ideas...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Flatspot is pissing me off now... Ideas...
PaulW

User status: Offline
15th Oct 04 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

flatspot is at around 4.5-5k rpm...

If I hit this in 4th or 5th the car stops pulling, it just cant keep up the pace! If I'm in 4th & drop it down a gear, it will then pull back upto the flatspot & then stop again...

Main reason I know the GSi should be more punchy but its just lacking... I feel the pipercross induction kit really has to go now, unless I can sort something out...

Not much cash, but am wanting a full stainless system, bastuck or magnes, unsure what yet... should help reduce the flatspot yes??

lets just say... race against another GSi... private road (track)... i'd be ok upto about 90-ish & then the other would come up & pass slowly, and keep going when mine would stop at around 112mph...

3CorsaMeal

15th Oct 04 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so flat spot is only present in 4th and 5th?

TOMAS

15th Oct 04 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd look at 2 areas - Ignition (plugs, leads, dizzy if it has one) or the induction/exhaust. Have you tried it with a std filter?

If its lacking top end it would suggest to me that the engine is being strangled so either not getting enough air in or exhaust out which would not make sense as your running a high-flow induction filter? - This makes me wonder about the plugs/leads? When were they last changed and when was your filter last cleaned?
PaulW

15th Oct 04 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3cm, its there all the time, just shows it most in 4 & 5th as it refuses to pull any more at that point

tomas - I havent got a standard air-box on the car as when i bought it it came with the pipercross.

exhaust is also standard, only engine mod is the pipercross. I checked the plugs yesterday & gapping is spot-on & also there only about a month old

leads I'm not too sure about, but if I was to swap them I'd have to take the inlet manifold off or just cut the old ones out as there routed under that instead. Could be one problem I suppose!

also, the car pulls fine after the flatspot in other gears, so if I use 5th to get past it to about 5.5k & go back into 4th, the car pulls all the way to the limit, its just if I drive it in 4th it wont get past the flatspot. if that makes sense...
broster
Premium Member

15th Oct 04 at 12:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why the hell are ur leads routed under the manifold, thats well dodgy mate! id fix that anyway!!!
PaulW

15th Oct 04 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this be the cursed engine...

im gona knock up some sort of heatshield/cold air feed to the filter to see if that helps too, plus I need a new cap on the coolant res, as its hissing
Greasemonkey

15th Oct 04 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe ya Cat has disintegrated and is blocking ya exhaust, has been known to happen, stick some cold air feeds in to ya induction kit see if that helps
broster
Premium Member

15th Oct 04 at 12:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u got a pic of the leads matey, going under the manifold? sounds like its got one or two probs for a new engine!
topshot_2k
Banned

15th Oct 04 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate why are your leads under manifold? that picture looks like they are just under the plastic cover???

i used to have similar probnlem till i got my full exhaust system, now i aint got any
PaulW

15th Oct 04 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
why the hell are ur leads routed under the manifold, thats well dodgy mate! id fix that anyway!!!

i'll get a pic later, broster, you know where the manifold is bolted down on the rocker cover? well the leads are criss-crossed behind & infront the bolts...

vaux must'nt of had there heads screwed on when they fitted the engine new 16 months ago
broster
Premium Member

15th Oct 04 at 12:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha sounds a bit of a silly way to do it if you ask me lol! shouldnt be two had to sort only need to undo like 5 bolts and wiggle them out.
PaulW

15th Oct 04 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye i know but if i'm gona end up replacing them why bother salvaging the old

will get some new leads anyways, plus gona take off the plastic shite on top of engine, i cleaned it up the other day, but tbh it serves no purpose really so bye bye

any recommendations on what leads to get? engine will be getting some work done on it over the next 18 months...
ed

15th Oct 04 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Standard leads, no point spending £100 on something that wont make a difference on your car.
topshot_2k
Banned

15th Oct 04 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^ as above,
Greasemonkey

15th Oct 04 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If ya planning on high RPM, then a decent set of leads goes a long way to assuring a reliable spark, but i must admit the vauxhall jobs are meant to be shit hot
Magnecore leads = £85ish
Vauxhall Leads = £120ish (no shit)
PaulW

15th Oct 04 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fook me! they aint half expensive!!! And thats STANDARD vauxhall items???

I remember on my old 1.4i I spent no more than £30 on leads & they did me good

but yes, I will be going for high RPM once I start work on the engine. probs raise the limit by 1k - 1.5k if the engine will like it
Greasemonkey

15th Oct 04 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engine will like it if ya make it happy with a bit of strengthening here and there, 1K extra can be done quite cheaply 1.5K extra will probably cost ya that much more in cash LOL.
Yeah thats standard vauxhall leads from vauxhall, ALLOT of money
PaulW

15th Oct 04 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm I best start saving I was expecting to cost about £60-£80
PaulW

15th Oct 04 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok just 're-organised' the leads

probs all gona think im mad, but they look neater now... Probs make no difference at all though

Before

After

Also removed the plastic top aswell as its annoying me...

looks more like an engine now instead of a lego-land build-your-own-car engine
broster
Premium Member

15th Oct 04 at 17:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol i aint got the plastic cover eather looks better if you clean the inlet and cam cover aswell man! yeah i went for new leads for mine, vauxhall was 130 and magnecore were 90, so i went magnecore, they look the same if not better quality and they are blue, get my vote lol, also some may say it daft, but the car pulled better to the limiter in 5th with them than with the vauxhall ones

[Edited on 15-10-2004 by broster]
myke

15th Oct 04 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey
Maybe ya Cat has disintegrated and is blocking ya exhaust, has been known to happen,

i was just starting to consider that.

disconnect the exhaust just in front of the cat and go for a spin.
will be loud as fuck, but you'll soon see if the flet spot is still there or not.
broster
Premium Member

15th Oct 04 at 18:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by myke
quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey
Maybe ya Cat has disintegrated and is blocking ya exhaust, has been known to happen,

i was just starting to consider that.

disconnect the exhaust just in front of the cat and go for a spin.
will be loud as fuck, but you'll soon see if the flet spot is still there or not.

i have recently had to drive with the exhaust off infront of the cat, its was loud and didnt accelerate well at all, so i doubt this will be any use
myke

15th Oct 04 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had to drive mine with just the manifold on for a week. not pleasant.

i experienced what your saying, but put it down to a reluctance for me to rev it too high because of the noise.

imo it'd be a usefull exercise to eliminate the cat if it's suspected of causing the flat spot. better than forking out for a new one to find that wasn't the cause on any hand.
broster
Premium Member

15th Oct 04 at 18:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by myke
i had to drive mine with just the manifold on for a week. not pleasant.

i experienced what your saying, but put it down to a reluctance for me to rev it too high because of the noise.

imo it'd be a usefull exercise to eliminate the cat if it's suspected of causing the flat spot. better than forking out for a new one to find that wasn't the cause on any hand.

decat it yeah but just remove no!
myke

15th Oct 04 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how else would you eliminate that as a problem?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll