corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » coilover help again!!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author coilover help again!!
Ant

User status: Offline
10th Oct 04 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right I have decided to start this thread cos all the other threads I have looked at seem to be left with no verdict!!

I have just fitted my fk highsport coilovers, I have used the small yellow helper spring supplied by BAT but...

at low spped cornering fells very sloppy and sometimes even snatchy, this seems to get worse when i am on the brakes. I havent had the bottle to go over 40mph yet cos things dont feel right.

Is this the small helper springs or have i done something else wrong?

I havent had the camber and tracking set up yet nor have i used the double adapter because the helper spring fully compreses meaning the adapter would hit the damper body.
broster
Premium Member

10th Oct 04 at 15:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no help to you but ever thread on fk coilovers puts me off them more and more
TOMAS

10th Oct 04 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You plonker, no wonder it feels awfull if you havent had the tracking or ESPECIALLY the camber set up properly...

I WILL SAY AGAIN!!! HELPER SPRINGS DO NOT IN ANY WAY EFFECT PERFORMANCE OF YOUR COILOVERS!!
Ant

10th Oct 04 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TOMAS

I WILL SAY AGAIN!!! HELPER SPRINGS DO NOT IN ANY WAY EFFECT PERFORMANCE OF YOUR COILOVERS!!

This is what i believed to be the case!! i only drove it half a mile from workshop to my drive and i was so awfull i thought that it mayhe helper springs felt like it had power steering but then went stiff.
Adam_B

10th Oct 04 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your camber angles are all pissed, its very easy to get it wrong
TOMAS

10th Oct 04 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont worry it'll be because your steering will be waaay out, when you run the wrong toe you'll find that when you start to turn the wheel its quite stiff and then suddenly it will snatch and make you go towards full lock just like youve got super power steering! One word of warning is DONT drive far because the steering will be dangerously unstable and also it will wear out your tyres so fast you wont believe it!

TBH if the helper springs are that short when compressed that you cant get a double adaptor in there (as it will hit the top cup) then its a touch dangerous just letting the helper sit against the main spring unless you have large body diameter dampers like Rally one's with 40mm inserts. How much will your spring unseat when you jack it if you dont run a helper?

Personally i'd ditch the helper, I dont run any helpers with my coilovers and the main spring unseats by some 40-50mm but it doesnt effect performance just need to be carefull when it comes to MOT time...
broster
Premium Member

10th Oct 04 at 16:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont have helpers on my avos, dont unseat that much to be honest, went thru mot too
Ant

10th Oct 04 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i could cut down the doube adapter so i does fit though????

It will prob unseat by about 70mm

Broster are yours supposed to have helper springs??

Anybody recomend the type of place i should go to get allignmets done i dont really want to go to a tyre place cos ound by me they are all wank!!!
broster
Premium Member

10th Oct 04 at 17:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dunno mate, the springs unseat when jacked up, but not by much, not like they will go anywhere
AdiSRI

10th Oct 04 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it is bad at first when i had them fitted at first go the tracking was so far off the tyres were squealing the whole time and i could barely drive it LOL.

Get it 4 wheel laser aligned and it'll be a whole lot better
Ant

10th Oct 04 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anybody have any more thoughts on whether or not i should mod the double adapters so they fit??
Siberia

10th Oct 04 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh dear another victim erm..... i have these coilovers and i have had nothing but problems with them since i fitted them....

granted having the right camber and tracking settings will help but i find the steering still always feels wierd.... especially on low speed harpin type corners.....

i had mine working great for about 2 weeks but i dunno something doesnt fell right in there again now...... i'm getting new bolts and track rods fitted tomorrow and yes for once i'm taking it to a garage to get it done with a four wheel laser alingment also..... i wonder what they will feck up this time on me....

if i could rewind back time i would have got koni yellows and some eibach -50mm springs as i just think these coilovers are not suitable for a corsa B... or at least not one without PAS.

[Edited on 10-10-2004 by Siberia]
Adam_B

10th Oct 04 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the problem with the FKs is the ability to adjust the camber angles on the front. If there not perfect it fucks up, simple as...
Adam_B

10th Oct 04 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
if i could rewind back time i would have got koni yellows and some eibach -50mm springs
[Edited on 10-10-2004 by Siberia]

ditto
Ant

10th Oct 04 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So many different opinions on these coilovers lead me into thinking it is simply a set up issue.
TOMAS

11th Oct 04 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say its deffo a setup issue IMO. As for allignment we have a cracking place here in Notts if thats not too far from you? Put some old steelies on if youre driving far to the alligners cos you'll completely burn out your 17" rubber on the way.

They charge £33 and will do a four wheel lazer allignmnet and will do castor, camber and toe...
Fear

11th Oct 04 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sp you have got the yellow springs from bat that fully compress?

Cuz ive got these and they do the job perfectly and handling is amazing, i can out handle my mates 106 rallye even with being very low!

this is what mine looks like!(very dirty)
Siberia

11th Oct 04 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ i wish mine would just work like that getting a four wheel alignment this evening........

i think the fact that u have power steering would make them feel less snatchy...
AdiSRI

11th Oct 04 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont think power steering helps my steering is as loose as fook, ive got that rear ARB on the way now so i shall let u know if it makes much diff...

It is the camber setting thats the problem, get it wrong and the car wont handle well at all.
neiliosxi

11th Oct 04 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do u adjust the camber???????
Siberia

11th Oct 04 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neiliosxi
How do u adjust the camber???????

loosen the two bolts that joint the shock to the hub carrier.

the top one is elongated allowing you to ajust the camber.....

however you should adjust the camber to the factory setting only cos anyother way makes them fecking awfull.... so i have learned.

y didnt they just make these without camber adjustment
neiliosxi

11th Oct 04 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think i know wot u mean, mine is corsa c and it could be different coz my anti roll bar goes onto the shock not susp arm!
AdiSRI

11th Oct 04 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its the same i think, pete had camber adjust on his the same as mine...
Ant

11th Oct 04 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CheekyCorsa
Sp you have got the yellow springs from bat that fully compress?

Cuz ive got these and they do the job perfectly and handling is amazing, i can out handle my mates 106 rallye even with being very low!

this is what mine looks like!(very dirty)

Yes but i dont have the double adapter on as i feel it will just break as the part of it that goes into the helper spring is deeper then the depth of helper spring fully compressed. I am thinking of modifying it.
Fear

11th Oct 04 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh i know what you mean by double adapter!

Does that not mean that the springs will shift about abit as nothing is holding them in the centre

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll