corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Cats + SPI system.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cats + SPI system.
Visionz

User status: Offline
25th Sep 04 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, well ive got slight running problems with my 1.2 8v Corsa b (who hasnt?)

But when it runs rough i can smell cat really badly, so im thinking the cat might be fucked. So i bang it and yeah it rattles, just like the silencer does behind it, so im thinkin that the cat might have broken down and bits of it are now lying in the cat and silencer.

So i think i need a new cat, but then my car also starts badly, it starts first crank, but as soon as its running it feels like it revvin at about 300rpm and its chuckin quite a bit of white smoke out. Then if i give it some revs (to many and it stalls) and it picks up, then when i let go of the accelerator pedal it revvs up on its own for approx 5 secs.

I think this might be a problem with the throttle body as my car has SPI and i think the butterfly valve might be sticking and just not opening enough or sticking open.

So my last question is; If there is a prob with my throttle body and its overfueling sometimes due to it sticking, could that have wrecked my cat?

A sticking throttlebody could also explain when the car hesitates when i boot it during travel.

Cheers for the help lads!

[Edited on 25-09-2004 by Visionz]
kortas

25th Sep 04 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well if you can smell that eggy smell i was always told that is the cat working fine,

i dont think a knackered cat will make any difference to the running of the engine, ie if the cats knackered there will be more flow rather than less.

it could be a few things, first try your fuel filter, is your fuel pump on its way out? you may also have a leek somewhere on the inlet.

but all the above symptoms you have described relate to an old vauxhall 8v engine, how many miles has it done?
Visionz

25th Sep 04 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its on 54k milage.

I forgot to say that i changed the fuel filter this morning, and the car is still the same.

Do you know anything specifically to check for on the engine and i know its a common fault as there are loadsa people on here who ask the same question. But people generally say ICV, n ive cleaned mine out as things seem the same.

It could be the fuel pump on its way out i suppose, it would make sence for the starting, apart from that fact that the car fires straight away, it just runs rough.
Visionz

26th Sep 04 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*bump*
ed

26th Sep 04 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Visionz
Ok, well ive got slight running problems with my 1.2 8v Corsa b (who hasnt?)

But when it runs rough i can smell cat really badly, so im thinking the cat might be fucked. So i bang it and yeah it rattles, just like the silencer does behind it, so im thinkin that the cat might have broken down and bits of it are now lying in the cat and silencer.

So i think i need a new cat, but then my car also starts badly, it starts first crank, but as soon as its running it feels like it revvin at about 300rpm and its chuckin quite a bit of white smoke out. Then if i give it some revs (to many and it stalls) and it picks up, then when i let go of the accelerator pedal it revvs up on its own for approx 5 secs.

I think this might be a problem with the throttle body as my car has SPI and i think the butterfly valve might be sticking and just not opening enough or sticking open.

So my last question is; If there is a prob with my throttle body and its overfueling sometimes due to it sticking, could that have wrecked my cat?

A sticking throttlebody could also explain when the car hesitates when i boot it during travel.

Cheers for the help lads!

[Edited on 25-09-2004 by Visionz]

Me.
Visionz

26th Sep 04 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Much appreciated
Visionz

27th Sep 04 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*bump*

Still waitin for answer plz people
CorsAsh

27th Sep 04 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 1.2 ran like a bag of shit when the cat collapsed...

New Poll