corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » good progress today on the conversion - more pics

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author good progress today on the conversion - more pics
myke

User status: Offline
30th Aug 04 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

following on from: http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=167307
made a start last wednesday, stripping the loom and ecu out, exhaust front section off, disconnecting some hoses and connections etc.

put in a few hours on friday evening removing suspension components to try and get to hubs etc.
hubs and hub assembly came out, struts came out, track rod ball joints disconnected, lower arm ball joints out, brakes out of the way etc.
had trouble with one of the track rod ball joints in that the nut on the bottom was just spinning the ball inside the socket rather than undoing. spent ages fannying around with that before deciding to buy a grinder and chop it off.

hub assemblies

hired a crane from hss (£32 for long weekend )

decided that it would be a good idea to take the tie bars off rather than working around them.
here's where it mounts to the front cross member. i took the bush supports down ratrher than faffing about tring to get the bar from the bush

roll bar off

spring clip and pin holding the linkage to the rear engine mount.
didn't actually need to come out as i undid the bracket from the underbody mount instead of the bracket from the gearbox.

i wasn't entirely sure what i was doing with the new mounts, but layed them out next to the old ones, and it became pretty obvious when both of the engines were on the floor.

lowered the c16 down to the ground, then had to raise it up again so it wasn't sitting on the crane feet

raised the car front with the crane so that the axle stands were in there highest position about halfway down the length of the car so that i could drag the 16 out and the 20 back in. hard work as it still wasn't really high enough, and they had to be tipped onto there fronts and taken out through the wheel arch between the bumper and the lower arm.
could of done with some help at this point, but battled on and with aid from the trolley jack, got it sorted.

hoisted the 20 up and started to try and line up the mounts.
started off by attaching the body mount in first, then attaching the rear mount bracket back onto the rear mount loosely. here it was easy enough to get two bolts through the new o/s engine mount into the body mount, but i then couldn't for the life of me push the n/s of the engine far enough back to get a bolt through the gearbox mount bracket into the mount.
tried undoing the rear and o/s again to do the n/s first as thought that maybe easier, but still no joy.
thought there was something behind the throttle body or inlet manifold stopping it going back, but checked for the third time and nowt there.
in the end worked out that the end of the gearbox casing was hitting on a notch in the n/s inner arch.
forgot to take a pic before hand, but got the grinder out again, and took out the offending bit of arch

pics of the mount setup
new o/s mount to new body mount

still the standard n/s mount onto the f20

standard rear mount with the new spacers between mount and g/b

still with the c16, but shows the rear mount to body fixing

how it is at the moment, but the crane is packed up ready for collection, and the car is lowered back down to a more sensible level.

tomorrow have to get the hubs knocked out of the assemblies and take them to a machine shop to be turned down for the corsa bearings. hopefully be able to get it done same day so i can have the hubs and new bearings pressed back into the assemblies to go back on straight away.
also need to pop to vaux to get a new pair of track rod ball joints.

not a bad days work. pretty happy with progress although i'm no mechanic, so been taking my time with it.
only injuries so far are a few grazed fingers and a small bump on the noggin where i walked into the crane.

hopefully make some good progress again tomorrow and will stick up another update.

need to modify the linkage still if anyone can clarify which one needs doing: http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=168131
ed

30th Aug 04 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good stuff mate - still re-building mine, ready to go in
mike_1.2LS96

30th Aug 04 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If youve dont that on your own, big well done. Me and my dad thought it was hard enough draggin a tiny 1.2 8v and gearbox out under the car, let alone a 2.0 beast

Oh yeah found a trick for the track rod ends when it starts spinning. Hack saw the tip off so there is less to get stuck on, but for the sake of a £7 track rod end...

Well done again

[Edited on 30-08-2004 by mike_1.2LS96]
Icy

30th Aug 04 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well done to u dude
dont have a clue wot the stuff r in each pic
AndyW

30th Aug 04 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Icy
well done to u dude
dont have a clue wot the stuff r in each pic

i was thinkin that, wish i new wat it all was
Rob B

30th Aug 04 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i like the colours of your new engine but as above no idea of the parts
myke

30th Aug 04 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i didn't really know untill i started.
i wasted ages on the rod end ball joint.
wish i'd decided to just get a grinder straight away really.
Siberia

30th Aug 04 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mazin how it all just fits....
mike_1.2LS96

30th Aug 04 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by myke
i didn't really know untill i started.
i wasted ages on the rod end ball joint.
wish i'd decided to just get a grinder straight away really.

lol, i wish i had a grinder sometimes...
myke

30th Aug 04 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was only £20 from B&Q. pus couple of quid for a metal disc.
i'm amazed i never bought one ages ago.
ed

30th Aug 04 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I killed my B&Q angle grinder, I think I'm gonna get a bigger one now - only had a small handheld one, kinda took a beating when I got pissed off with the Cav a few times
Matt H

30th Aug 04 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

big eck

30th Aug 04 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A very big well done mate, especially for doin all the work yourself.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » good progress today on the conversion - more pics 22 database queries in 0.0142958 seconds